Oil Leak

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I finally got around to jacking up the car and having a look underneath to find the source of a bit of an oil leak my legnum has. Any ideas as to where its coming from by looking at the photos?

On my garage floor, there are 4 main spots where its leaked - they appear to be along the passenger side chassis rail, evenly spaced between the wheels (if that makes sense). There was also a drop on the bottom of the oil filter, but its hard to tell where its dripped from under the engine as the bottom engine cover collected a lot of it.

There are no obvious leaks visible from looking from the top of the engine, even with the plastic top engine cover off.

leak1.jpg

leak2.jpg

leak3.jpg

leak4.jpg

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
There might not be an actual leak simon, it might just be that who ever did the last oil change did one hell of a sloppy job and mad a freaking mess of your poor car?

Run your fingers through it and check if its fresh or dirty, then you'll know what's what.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Simon I suggest using a can or two of degreaser under there and maybe a high-pressure hose if you've got one to clean the engine right down. Take it for a quick spin to throw most of the water off, then get under there with a rag and clean everything right down. Take it out for a drive and get it nicely warmed up for half an hour, jack it back up and shine some bright light under there to see if you can find any new oil. Its the only way you can be certain to trace the oil back to the leak (assuming there is one - as Steve said if you have old oil spills they will heat up and start dripping off the engine as you drive the car, making it look as though your car has a leak).

Good luck! :)

G

Unregistered
check the seal on the oil filter is ok...

current filter on my ST is shit, and it looks like the same oil spillage.

gtodave

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
david einam
Drive
galant 7g & 8g
have you checked the filter is tight,it may just be a bit loose.
david

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
i had the same thing matie dont stress the complincing place use crap filter and proply didnt put oil on the rubber befor installing the filter. also use a desent filter im using the ryco z56b wich is quite long and has non-return vaulve on it . make sure ur filter is tight (just twicked)

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
well we are on the topic of oil leaks what things should we look out for on the car that is know to leak rocker cover,diff,rear engine seal,ect....

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
NOTHING should leak. If you have leaks / drips, clean your engine bay down thoroughly to work out where they're coming from.

Top Bottom