Ok, so who wants forged pistons and high quality rods

Please select 1 of 2 options.Realise its ~$2400 for both but a very solid base to produce power!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Im 100% in for the rods and 50% at the moment for the pistons.

Thanks Simon it's good to see someone organising parts like pistons and rods for our cars.

instabink

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Adam
Drive
VR4 Legnum
Definitely keen for both. So that would put the cut off date around 14th of Feb. Hope I can come up with the doh. Anyone got any idea on cost to have them installed?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
You can correct me here Simon, but I think what restricts the 6a13 is the breathing ability of the small turbos and and cam timing which can be solved by using bigger turbos and adjustable cam gears. IMO the rest of the engine is well designed and would be more than capable of such a rev limit.:D

BTW Simon I've voted both seeing I'll be making a start on my 6a13 build up soon. I'd be stupid to miss out on this! So come on people, we need more rod/piston people.

I was wondering when you were going to make an appearance here:D

All good stuff there Josh;) Only things id' add are I don't know of the valve actuations ability to to support that rpm. I just don't know enough about it. Dave from RPW in Perth may be able to help there.
If all that was ok, you would also need to upgrade the springs. OEM usually can't handle larger lift and durations opening/closing rate and increased rpm. Performance Wholesale may be able to help with that?
Yes the bottom end will do it with ease:)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Simon is this open to people outside of Oz. Will they post to the UK or any other country

Peter i can't see any reason why not. You need to ask Brad from SPOOL as he's the supplier, Im merely facilitating the production of them.
I would be surprised if he wouldn't send to UK!

Any others' in the UK interested?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Im 100% in for the rods and 50% at the moment for the pistons.

Thanks Simon it's good to see someone organising parts like pistons and rods for our cars.

Great stuff Rob, go the pistons too:D

No problem, happy to help when i can

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Definitely keen for both. So that would put the cut off date around 14th of Feb. Hope I can come up with the doh.
Hi Adam,

The cutoff is on the top of the voting which id the 13Feb.
Anyone got any idea on cost to have them installed?

How long is a piece of string??
Things you would need to replace are and this certainly isn't everything;
Main and big end thrust bearings. Inlet & head gasket.
Some rough prices, main$130 big end$90 thrust $30

Block, at the very least and re-hone if in good condition. If not bore and then hone. Id also have it decked.
Hone ~$250, deck similar.
Now depending on kms, you may want/need to replace timing belt, idlers, water pump (maybe) hydraulic tensioner, alternator & power steering belts seeing the engine is out of the car.

Head may need to be decked as well depending. This will require a complete disassemble.

As you can see it start to add up but if you're mechanically minded you can do a lot of it yourself.
If it's just the bottom end then it's pretty straight forward. BUT the engine has to come out of the car. The more you get other people to do , the more it will cost. It Hope that helps.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Can someone with the workshop manual forward me the section on the engines mechanicals please?

G

Unregistered
Peter i can't see any reason why not. You need to ask Brad from SPOOL as he's the supplier, Im merely facilitating the production of them.
I would be surprised if he wouldn't send to UK!

Any others' in the UK interested?

I can't at the moment but I'll put up a thread on CVR4 to have a look at this thread and hopefully get some interest as this is a better price than what we have available in the UK

instabink

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Adam
Drive
VR4 Legnum
Cheers Simon, yea kinda realised after that post that it was a bit of a string question lol. A lot of that I could do myself, but yea, much more than work than I first expected as far as honing, boring and decking is concerned. Still however, very interested and will let you know if Im in, thanks again

Sorry no manual.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I can't at the moment but I'll put up a thread on CVR4 to have a look at this thread and hopefully get some interest as this is a better price than what we have available in the UK

Thats' great, thanks Peter. Hopefully a few more will get us across the line!!

sart0ri

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
2000 VR-4 Galant
Random Displacement info bump.

I did did some calculations on an internet displacement calculator and the stock capacity is 2498.1, when bored out 40 thou, the displacement is 2560.6. Each 20 thou is around 30cc

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
WOuld love a set of rods and pistons but just cannot come up with the money in the given timeframe.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
**UPDATE**

Rod & piston were sent today so now I'll wait to be contacted and confirm the design from the manufacturer.:D

G

Unregistered
Do you know the specs of the pistons? As ive got a set of ceramic crowned and moly skirted, with an extra oil relief groove from JE. Just wondering as to what the ones your offering have, or are they just direct replicas of the stock pistons?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hi Gareth. Pistons will be from CP and most likley 20thou oversize. CP will put there design on it- what's it look like? When i see it i'll post some pics. The pistons will be made last as they are quick to make.
The rods take a lot longer.

If guys want to go to the extra cost of ceramic coating the head etc, they can. However with oil squirters in the block already, i don't know how many will realistically need it.

I just run the forged piston in my other engine with no squirters, it's no issue.

Lastly, Brad from SPOOL laughed when he saw the standard rods, he like me, thought they were pathetic and under engineered:LOL:

G

Unregistered
Hi Gareth. Pistons will be from CP and most likley 20thou oversize. CP will put there design on it- what's it look like? When i see it i'll post some pics. The pistons will be made last as they are quick to make.
The rods take a lot longer.

If guys want to go to the extra cost of ceramic coating the head etc, they can. However with oil squirters in the block already, i don't know how many will realistically need it.

I just run the forged piston in my other engine with no squirters, it's no issue.

Lastly, Brad from SPOOL laughed when he saw the standard rods, he like me, thought they were pathetic and under engineered:LOL:

This is what i thought also. THe ceramic coating i was taling about was on the crown of the piston only, not on the heads.

Now, the rods..... I always had the opionion that the rods were weak.... But ive been running 414bhp (470lbft torque) on them for the past 3000miles with 398bhp and 355lbft for the 7000miles prior to that. Bear in mind that its also made 414bhp and 500lbft and still not hit an issue yet in the rod strength, i think we all may be wrong.

This does not say that i dont want to replace, i have them alread and i want more power. Bit for 400bhp, which would be the limits of most peoples budget, the stock rods and pistons will cope. Thats not just hearsay and conjecture, but fact!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Sorry, i meant the head of the piston.

Thats' pretty good power, is that engine or wheel?

You're a braver man than me! I held the things in my hand and can see the small amount of meat on the top of the big end. Regardless, I would not be comfortable running that power thru them.
Fantastic yours have lasted, How often does the car see that hp though?
IMG_0993.jpg

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
they almost look bendable by hand :p i wish i had some extra money.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
they almost look bendable by hand :p i wish i had some extra money.

Yep, there's no way i'd be pushing that power thru them!

If you're going to the trouble and expense of bigger turbo's manifolds injectors etc etc then i think you are mad to leave the engine untouched.

Do it right and do it once! Don't leave yourself wondering:)

Top Bottom