Opinions on 6a to a 4g

downundersir

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
JUSTIN
Drive
Mitsubishi
good choice, but depending on which 4g engine you use, & the gearbox you have, may have to swap to evo box. my understanding is the starter will be in wrong spot on a 63 but ok on a 64. hope you don't have an ayc diff. Good luck, then you will have the evo wagon we never got.

downundersir

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
JUSTIN
Drive
Mitsubishi
Looks like all the weight is on the drivers side...
Wouldn't do wonders for weight distribution...
Its exactly the same in an evo. Does a legnum out handle any evo? Are you type a civic R r doesn't handle because the engine is on the right.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Im with @Kenneth here. if you want to take a step. make it s step forward not a step backward.
why drop 2 cylinders and half a litre going 4G63T when to make any decent power from a 4G platform anyone with half a brain strokes to 2.4 with 4G64 parts etc.
why not spend the money you would spend on swapping to 4G and building a good 2.4 4cyl package on building a good 6A13 which will make more power for money spend and deliver the power better!

I don't understand why evo motor conversions is even still an argument worth having considering the vast availability of off the shelf 6A13TT parts these days! @trotty @smohekey any many others will agree here!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Agreed. I commented on another thread like this a while ago, thought it was the same one popping up again so skipped it until now.
I love how,people say oh it'll cost too much blah farken blah. Cost isn't the reason you're doing it. If it is, it's for the wrong reasons. While where on cost, just think of the fuel bill from the 4g ha ha ha :banghead:
Why you'd want less torque from an engine with less capacity it beyond me.

What do you think you're going to pay for the engine conversion and if you're doing that you'd be mad to keep it stock, but hey knock yourself out.

I'd spend a little coin on the 6a on rods pistons and some easy to get ARP main and head studs. Fit some TD04-15t and enjoy it. No real need to change anything else other than support equipment.

Or fit a wrecker motor tune it and enjoy

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yeah don't even need to touch the internals if you want a solid 450-500hp
many people have made 500+ flywheel hp on stock insides
Carls motor makes 422 WHP (315kW atw) with just TD04's and a set of reground stock cams so I bet that is well over 500hp at the crank by the time drivetrain losses are accounted for. and hes been running that number for a solid 2 years now with no failures, and that is on a tune he did himself! NZEFI the place he got it dynoed said they could very likely pull 350kW + ATW out of it with just a re-tune on that setup

The thing is people are just too scared to do something somewhat new. everyone wants the tried and true 4g63. but at the end of the day its just an internal combustion engine, all the same principals apply.
As someone who messes with engines for a living I think the 6A is a better motor that a 4G (ignoring displacement) it has 4 bolt mains not 2 bolt like 4G's. its only letdown is the small 10mm head bolts factory but thats is easily remedied with using 11mm evo ones. They are a Unit of a block and the heads are awesome. just as long as you can put some solid internals into them, port the heads up and get some good duration cams into them as well as making sure the heads are well clamped down on the block with some good studs I don't see why with the right turbo one wont be able to be pushed well into 1000hp territory. People do it with RB25/26's no worries why cant we?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
It's a shame I never properly built mine back in '10 when I rebuilt it, but seeing it was the wife's car at the time there was no reason too. I even went down the road of organ using pistons and rods for it when there were none on the market. But all but a few people pulled out of the group buy that I organized. Shit happens.
I had and have no quarms about rebuilding it as you quite rightly point out Adam, it's just a bloody engine.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Its good to see more and more people starting to turn the wick op on 6A13TT's these days
The few I'm building here in Christchurch, Jet150's build, Tophler's engine hes just beginning to build. and many more. Cant wait to see some of the results!

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
The problem is you live in the arse end of NZ Adam. In a year or so (when my engine hits ~250K's) I'd love to organise an engine build from you, but I'd kill myself if my brand new 350KW+ engine got destroyed in a shipping container on the way over here.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
Adam doesn't have exclusive rights to building high power 6A13s? He can supply some good parts toward that end that a local builder could use.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Dont think shipping companies could wreck a long motor provided its packaged well.

but yeah there will be some guys getting torque plates made over there soon so any half competent engine builder should be able to piece together some parts to make a good engine.

Top Bottom