Robert
Drive
Legnum VR4
I've got a 96 Legnum

I'm loosing coolant.
Air is getting into the coolant system
No smoke from exhaust
Performance remains as normal

If i do have a BHG would it be a better option to grab another engine or go ahead and do the head gasket ?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Cheaper to get another engine. Blown head gasket. Possibly stretched head studs

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Im guessing you have done a pressure test on the cooling system ? You never know it could be a small leak on one of the hoses ?
When i owned a Mazda Astina i was loosing water thinking the worst, 2 weeks later i pressure tested the system and what do you know, ended up a water hose which i never saw leak under the car.

brat81

Crunching Gears
First Name
Robert
Drive
Legnum VR4
A pressure test was next on the cards, i had the system flush recently and the same day i was going to get the system flushed i had a hose split.

Had the hose replaced and system flushed, obviously i'm still loosing coolant.

The no smoke and no milky substance on dipstick brings me some hope that it's not a BHG.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Have you checked for any cracks on the top of your radiator . These are known to crack especially being plastic.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yeah just pressure test it, if there is a leak on the hose or what Simon said maybe a radiator crack it should show. Hopefully it does show up. We can guess but the test is a good step to do asap.

craig

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 Legnum Super VR-4, Silver (project)
1997 Galant VR-4, soon to be manual
2004 Toyota Funcargo, Silver (daily)
A pressure test was next on the cards, i had the system flush recently and the same day i was going to get the system flushed i had a hose split.

Had the hose replaced and system flushed, obviously i'm still loosing coolant.

The no smoke and no milky substance on dipstick brings me some hope that it's not a BHG.

That's a good idea to eliminate that first. BHG won't necessarily make a milkshake, especially if it's broken between a cylinder and water jacket, as was the case in @Bender engine which was using water slowly over a couple of years I believe. He is rebuilding his engine instead of spending money and all that time putting one in that could need all sorts of work and last an unknown amount of time.

Bender

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
PFL Legnum VR-4
FL Galant VR-4
JZX100 Chaser
I blew 2 radiator hoses in two days and turn out to be a blown head gasket,
I replace all my hoses with silicone hoses and was going good till it blew water out of the radiator cap,
Got it tested and come back a blown head gasket
The system is building up alot of pressure and it didn't help with having old hoses aswell,
Mine had been using water on long trip. Like 2-3 hours plus of driving, A problem what was there before i bought the car,
As Craig said, I'm not wasting time or money on buying a used engine that could do the same or other problems,
I'm doing a full engine rebuild on mine,
It not the cheapest option, It the best option, Then I know I'm going have flesh engine for years to come.

brat81

Crunching Gears
First Name
Robert
Drive
Legnum VR4
Thanks for that info, i'll be getting a pressure test done on the cooling system next week.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Check it for combustion gases

Top Bottom