Possible to convert MUT2 to OBD2?

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
Mitisuibishi 1998 RVR X3 auto rallysport
do the elm 327 devics not support mut-2 ? what about the STN21xx chips?

There is also aftermarket firmware for the elm devices that is open source it may be of intrest:

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
the problem is the the PIDs are very different, so need something to take the OBD2 PID, convert to MUT PID, take the response and apply a scaling that converts back, in realtime.

The hardware layer is the easy bit, Arduino does this easily.

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
Should be the other way around. Feeds MUT-II into the Arduino, then convert the data and output the OBD2 signals. This diagram would be more clear.

Ok I was just looking at this this above and there is hardware that supports the MUT-II protocol and baud rate (STN21xx chips going off their support forum).

I have used an andriod tool with my mitisuibishi RVR that is MUT-II and it worked, is the goal of this project to translate the mut-2 protocol to obd2 for what purpose to increase compatability with generic software?

would it not be better just to write an andriod app or pc tool to talk nativly to the car with aproprate hardware?, I believe it is loosly based on the haynes modem AT command set correct?
I'm also guessing MUT has some non standard commands that would not be provided by the obd/can protocol what happens there?

problem we have is that the mut tools are $9k USD to buy from SST it would be nice to reverse engineer it to be able to talk to abs etc..

I'd put in money for someone to get a tool to reverse engineer it, in the long run would that not be a better idea?

Last edited:

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
is the goal of this project to translate the mut-2 protocol to obd2 for what purpose to increase compatability with generic software?

Basically this.

haynes modem AT command set correct

This is what you use to communicate with the ELM. MUT protocol is even more simpler than this.

I've got a MUT-3, and there isn't much more to reverse engineer... App like evoscan provides most of the functionality that the MUT does except missing interfacing with systems like SRS.

What specifically were you after?

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
Does the china MUT 3 devices and software talk to a MUT 2 car? I was under the impression it does not.

I have an airbag ecu that needs to be reset and it would just be handy to own such a device to do this and to interface with all the parts of yhe car.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Do you have an openport or VAG cable?

I might have something you can test with to clear the SRS fault.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
I have done it using Arduino, but it is a bit slow when I did testing like this:
VR4 --> MUT-2 to OBD(HW on Arduino) --> cheap OBD ELM327 dongle with Bluetooth --> Android handphone/tablet running Torque app or RealDash app

I guess maybe there is problem on my Arduino program, but lazy to debug the program flows, because I change my plan to use ESP32 which is much much faster thane Arduino ATMega chip, and also ESP32 including bluetooth, so I can connect Android directly through BT and doesn't need OBD ELM327 dongle.

VR4 --> MUT-2 to OBD simulation(HW on ESP32 with Bluetooth) --> Android handphone/tablet running Torque app or RealDash app.

Actually, my main goal of this project is converting our MUT-2 to OBD, then I can display on Android, because my car stereo is a 2 din Android, so that I can see the speed, rpm, etc on the display.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Do you have an openport or VAG cable?

I might have something you can test with to clear the SRS fault
I also have both Openport 1.0 and 2.0 cable, and can do the test to clear the SRS fault since mine SRS stays ON all the time now.

Just curious, I thought both 1.0 and 2.0 cables are no pin 12 connected, then how to communicate to SRS?

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
I have done it using Arduino, but it is a bit slow when I did testing like this:
VR4 --> MUT-2 to OBD(HW on Arduino) --> cheap OBD ELM327 dongle with Bluetooth --> Android handphone/tablet running Torque app or RealDash app

I guess maybe there is problem on my Arduino program, but lazy to debug the program flows, because I change my plan to use ESP32 which is much much faster thane Arduino ATMega chip, and also ESP32 including bluetooth, so I can connect Android directly through BT and doesn't need OBD ELM327 dongle.

VR4 --> MUT-2 to OBD simulation(HW on ESP32 with Bluetooth) --> Android handphone/tablet running Torque app or RealDash app.

Actually, my main goal of this project is converting our MUT-2 to OBD, then I can display on Android, because my car stereo is a 2 din Android, so that I can see the speed, rpm, etc on the display.
it looks like a middle ware app on andriod to do as you want with out hardware:

Last edited:

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
it looks like a middle ware app on andriod to do as you want with out hardware:

I haven't tried that, but I guess it may not work on our VR4. Eg, from the app "MUT For Torque v2" description, it mentions only the Evo X, which is OBD2 compatible, and it doesn't mention any EVO5-9 for example. Also, this app connect to the ELM327 hardware, and as far as I know, inside the ELM327 it uses AT command and from the ELM327 AT command list, there is no initialization command for the MUT2 and no request and respond commands for MUT2 PID protocol, therefore, I guess this kind of app doesn't work. Correct me if I am wrong.

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
It looks like the developer has abandened it as it is no longer in the store we could ask him to release the source, he was active on o e of the evo forums ans it was said on there it worked with evo 5-9

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
I haven't tried that, but I guess it may not work on our VR4. Eg, from the app "MUT For Torque v2" description, it mentions only the Evo X, which is OBD2 compatible, and it doesn't mention any EVO5-9 for example. Also, this app connect to the ELM327 hardware, and as far as I know, inside the ELM327 it uses AT command and from the ELM327 AT command list, there is no initialization command for the MUT2 and no request and respond commands for MUT2 PID protocol, therefore, I guess this kind of app doesn't work. Correct me if I am wrong.
IIA command should do a 5 baud init with the elm. The problem would be message formats as normal ISO9141 messages aren't single byte.

I don't have an ELM to try with.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Just curious, I thought both 1.0 and 2.0 cables are no pin 12 connected, then how to communicate to SRS?

just checked my C# app, comms to SRS is via kline...

I've also decoded/communicated with ETACS (pin 9) and climate control (pin 11)

When I get a chance, will post more info about it.

Last edited:

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
just checked my C# app, comms to SRS is via kline...

I've also decoded/communicated with ETACS (pin 9) and climate control (pin 11)

When I get a chance, will post more info about it.
Interesting. What can do with the ETACS and Climate control? I am also interested to know how to read and reset SRS, although I have already ordered an used part so hope can pass the MOT later.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
It looks like the developer has abandened it as it is no longer in the store we could ask him to release the source, he was active on o e of the evo forums ans it was said on there it worked with evo 5-9
As BCX said, the message formats are different, so it is most likely the different on the ELM327 firmware level.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Some notes about SRS:

Iso9141-2 5 baud init
10400 baud

Can log three parameters (3 pids)
How many times DTCs have been cleared
Trouble time 1
Trouble time 2

Actions
Can check DTCs (5 PIDs)
Can clear DTCs (1 PID)

I dug up old app i wrote to interface with it, looks like ftdi not working (bug in code), but openport seems to work.

Will clean it up into something more polished and release for people to try (initially openport 2 only)

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
ETACS and Climate control
Climate control allows to view or set fan speed and mixer servos for diagnosis.

ETACS never actually got far with it as it turns out.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Some notes about SRS:

Iso9141-2 5 baud init
10400 baud

Can log three parameters (3 pids)
How many times DTCs have been cleared
Trouble time 1
Trouble time 2

Actions
Can check DTCs (5 PIDs)
Can clear DTCs (1 PID)

I dug up old app i wrote to interface with it, looks like ftdi not working (bug in code), but openport seems to work.

Will clean it up into something more polished and release for people to try (initially openport 2 only)
That's interesting. I thought it is using MUT2 init sequence and then 15625 baud, with different ECU ID code. Yes, once you release that I am willing to try with it.

brett44

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brett
Drive
outlander 2003
so i'm quite excited to find some folk working on mut2 in Oz/Nz I have outlander 2003. Been researching how to connect for some time.
I have found info via some russian forums ( using google translate) there is small business in russia ( I think) has pretty much worked it all out.
They even have put up a circuit diagram to build your own obd device based on FTDI chip ( attached). They also have software. I must admit I am quite the novice at this, so I'm really hoping this will spark your interest and might lead to me being able to get some device working with my car.
( basically I just want to read codes/clear codes and get live data for diagnose problems).
Anyhow here is link to the part of the site that has the ftdi chip details ( how to build device) ( tranlsated via google first):
attached is diagram. If this is of interest I can put up alot more info, they have forum with alot of info, its a bit of a hassle to translate, but google does it automatically once you start so not too bad.
They also sell units already built, if need links I can put them up. they have usb and wifi types, ( no bluetooth as yet I think I could be wrong).

mmc ftdi.jpg

Top Bottom