Power steering rack leak

mephisto

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Matt
Drive
Galant VR-4 PFL
I've got a leaky power steering rack end on my drivers side, the boot was full of fluid when removed to check on my massive wheel play, just wondering if anyone can recommend a workshop to rebuild, remove and replace the rack (in Sydney)? and a rough idea of cost?

mephisto

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Matt
Drive
Galant VR-4 PFL
Thanks :), I wasn't sure that he did work on these power steering racks or not, I'll give them a try

Daytime

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Joel
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Thread revival, sorry.

Recently bought a Legnum about a month ago. I noticed a whining sound from the front when steering, didn't think too much of it, then it progressed to being able to feel grinding when steering and the sound intensity increased. PS fluid was down to the hose so I refilled and the noise was gone instantly.

Then last night after work it was back, PS fluid reservoir was nearly empty again, and it was all milky and bubbly. Refilled, drove home fine. This morning on the way to work it came back. Nearly empty reservoir. Fluid leaking underneath, near the drivers side front wheel.

So I get whining and grinding when stationary turning the wheel even slightly and driving, also whining when rpm increases.

My guess is a seal is gone or PS pump, though I'm no mechanic.

Checked other threads with similar issues with no definitive resolution.

Please help!

Joel.

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
It sounds like your rack is leaking or you have blown a PS line going to your rack, which in turn has emptied your pump/reservoir of fluid.
Pumps don't like running dry.
So you have now also killed the pump.

Rack needs a seal kit put through it and/or you need to replace the leaking line.
I would just try pricing up a replacement pump (new or used).

You need to find exactly where the leak is coming from.
Clean the area, fill up with PS fluid, run the car, get someone to turn the steering wheel, get under the car and look for the leak.

If you want to have a go at rebuilding your rack yourself, you can get some insperation from my build thread.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Positive displacement pumps such as used in power steering systems when ran dry causes cavitation. This will destroy your pump. Air bubbles in the fluid such as caused from low fluid levels suck air in and causes aeration. These tiny bubbles implode inside the pump causing pits to form. Both conditions are catastrophic to pumps.
I would be changing the pump regardless, sorry.

Daytime

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Joel
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Ok cheers for the info guys. Car booked in to get looked at, I'll let my mechanic know this info!

Top Bottom