Prop shaft play - how much is ok?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I am having an issue with rotational knocking on deceleration and I'm having some trouble diagnosing it. Just got under the car again and there is a lot of lateral play in the 2 prop shaft centre bearing bushes (circled below). I.e. I can move it as far as it will go and can feel it hitting the extremities of the bushes pretty easily. No axial or radial play though.

Is this too much play and will it cause issues? There is no sign of it hitting the bodywork or anything and the uni-joints all seem good.

Propshaft.jpg

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Add a bit of engine mount sag to this and could the noise be UJs binding under no load?

image.jpg

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I had this knocking you describe and it was the rear diff mounts. Fixed them, no noise since. Really hard to inspect on your own though from memory, but I believe I have a spare or two if this is what it is

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Will check them out tonight, sounds like its coming from the front but I could easily be wrong.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
that engine mount looks crap, I'd be changing it anyway.... Prop shafts move a fair bit but what are joints like?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Joints are mostly ok, one is a bit notchy but no play. And yeah I am going to try and get some new engine mounts or inserts.

This car is killing me at the moment, so many things to spend money on. So little reward.

Top Bottom