[RANT] Friggin' Lock Nuts on Wheels...

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
...and my complete inability to get it off without the key being supplied with the original car. I've bashed about three sockets with a hammer over the nut (whilst busting a nut) to make it a damn tight fit but still no go.

Scored a flat tyre last night and had no way of getting it off. Discovered it when I got home last night after the last 500m to home where my AYC light started flickering.

Screw it. Going to drive to the local tyre shop (1km away, fortunately) on a flat. It'll chew up my rim but I need that rashed/gashed rim fixed anyway. Space saver joy here we come!

(unless someone has a set of 16" stockies in Melbourne of course lying around spare?)

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
The oldest trick in the book, tighten all the other ones up as tight as you possibly can. This makes getting the last one off HEAPS easier!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Ahh I see where that is going, good idea :)

Time for the buzz car to get some EVO 7/8/9 wheels?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
What Nick said.

Also, if you know someone with a welder, just get them to tack on another normal nut to the locknut. Then just undo that one.

Bit of screwing around, but saves your rim.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Managed to get them off (thanks for the tip Nick).

I had to get the RIGHT tools this time (discards useless wheel brace) but the internals of the tyre were shredded where the rim sits on it. A mass of black rubber grindings like coffee were found and it was worn to the steel belt. So out goes that one and will have to wait 'til Monday to get a new tyre of the exact same model.

*laughs* EVO 7/8/9 wheels, then rolled lips or flares... the fun never ends!

I reckon they have 90% tread on them so hopefully AYC won't be thrown out of whack with one brand new tyre in the mix.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
They should be ok, if you have any issues with the AYC, put the new wheel on the front. The AYC system can still pick it up, but the effect will be much less.

G

Unregistered
You could try asking the tyre guys to have a look for 4 second hand tyres with the same tread pattern and amount of wear to swap with your 90% tyres and a little money??

Just a suggestion.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Not a bad one actually :)

I've got those "Nankang" tyres still from compliance. Always a sign of quality.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey don't bash the Nankangs- i have them on another of my cars, i've had just about every tyre availalbe and the Nannys' are one of the best i've had.:ROFLMAO:

G

Unregistered
gav i have steve's (snickles) stock wheels sitting at my house STILLLLL so maybe you can call him and ask him to borrow them. i dont see him comming to get them anytime soon.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I've had my fair share of lock nut dramas. I had a nut stuck on so tight once (a wheel shop did it with a rattle gun), that the nut had to be drilled out. It couldnt be welded to something, and then removed, because the nut had been split by me trying to get it off. I was lucky and my wheel was able to be saved by having the nut and stud drilled out, but then I had to get a new stud put in ofcourse.

Now I cant get the nuts off my little Alto (its got a buggered carrier bearing in the gearbox) - so I think its time to invest in a 6foot breaker bar.

Apparantly these are a great tool in removing nuts.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Very true, leverage FTW :D

My rim and new tyre will be ready by 3pm tomorrow. Drove over to Ivan's to get the oil changed (and to get some photos of the Trasko oil filter as it was disassembled, cleaned and assessed) and the AYC light was flickering as expected.

I didn't want to risk driving it down the Mornington Peninsula this Sunday so we took the girl's car instead. A chance for a good drive and poor Loki had to stay home.

Top Bottom