rattling noise + fuel

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
well, i had my car for about 3 days now, everytime i drive it, it seems like i foind something new. I have noticed that every time when i drive over the little bumps or accelerate in tapping motion i hear 'cling~" sort of noise near the left side of the car. in high speeds, i can not notice the noise that much but in low speeds, i definatley can. hmm. what would it be? Also another thing. i filled up 3 days ago in full tank with 98 octane. i drove about 160km and the fuel tank is already pointing at the 2/5 of the bar~ most times, i drove with great care and 1/2 city and 1/4 normal and 1/2 highway.. according to the posts and threads, 11~13l/100km was the average but mine is like 24l/100km~ what da~ fuel leakage?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
the tapping noise i would say would be the lower ball joints/lower control arms.. possibly? depends on the noise though... does the front end feel loose?

reset your ecu by disconnecting the battery for 10-12 minutes leaving your headlights on to drain power left in system. This will reset the ecu after 10 minutes or so connect it back up and the ecu will be able to readjust itself and it may help fix your economy. I doubt you would have fuel leaking its probably just not use to the fuel. what 98 did u use? bp? mobil? shell?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Jono you may have read elsewhere the fuel gauge in these cars is notoriously bad. Did you set your trip meter when you filled up?

Only way to accurately gauge your fuel usage is to fill up to the first click on the pump, reset your trip meter, drive the car until you're ready to fill up, note the kms travelled and refill (preferably at the same pump as last time, for accuracy) until the first click. The reading on the pump will tell you exactly how many litres of fuel you used, so divide that by the number of kms travelled multiplied by 100 will give you your fuel use per 100kms :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What Trev said about the fuel gauge ^^^

I'd take the car to a suspension place and get them to check it out. Also remove all the rear panels in the boot, it could just be an interior rattle

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
Also Jono, does you car have stock intake system? or a mushroom filter?
Your blow off valve might also be leaking, which will give you problems with over fueling. If there is excessive buildup of carbon on your exhaust tip, then you know your car is running too rich.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
thanks guys for your suggestions. Actually, it is really stupid.. the tightening thing for the spare tyre was loose... :rolleyes:. it reduced the noise by half but still gettin the squeaking noise. I did 213km on the meter and it is nearly empty~ i filled up at shell on monday the 11th aug. only 1/5 to go with the fuel. see what happens next time i fill up. I have stok intaqke system for the moment. the idling is low sometimes but it seems ok. so i guess it is still learning my driving habbits.. By the way, i had a go with this idiot honda accord euro today with full rice set-up. he had endless and brembos sticker at the same time and the callipers where stockies.. what a joke... he tail gated me and then at the lights, i choped hm up for the breakfast for tomoro.. the look on his face... he could not close his mouth~

anyway. i am taking the car back to here i bought it from and they said they will have a look at it.. i have another discussion regarding to car air con stuff..

cheers..

ps. to silicon and others.. really _ i mean really - appreciate your coments.. it really helps~

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
near home bush area mate. haw about you? i got some issues with my car and if you do not mind, lets meet up one day.:)

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
Live in cherrybrook...near castle hill!

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
wow.. thats far.. i used to live in castlehill.. by any chance, do you work at city and drive your leggi there everyday? :confused: took it to the mechanics today. i found one of the circlular ring of the exhaust pie was loose. also the muffler it self have some noise as well. Good excuse to get a new exhaust~ oh yeah~. still some squeeky noise and when i get my new muffler, it should be fine.. All i needis get my AYC serviced to get rid of the AYC noise and replace my thermostat thing.. no heater~~ so cold....

Top Bottom