Remote key transmitter & immobiliser

Blue legnum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joe
Drive
2013 Suzuki Swift Sport , 65 Mustang 351w
Hi All
I have a 97 VR4 Legnum & when I bought the car all the previous owner gave me was the key!! It has central locking activated when I use the key to open & close the door. The same key starts the car no problem... My question is should I have a remote key that opens & closes the door?? Which one & what does it look like?? Do I have an immobiliser on the car??
Cheers :huh:

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Nope the central locking is built into the key..you dont need a secondary device..

Well my car did not come with an immobiliser..I guess some dealers offer an immobiliser installed and some dont when you buy the car but im not sure how to check if you have one...If you need to step on the clutch to start your car then Im pretty sure you have one..

And welcome :)..you should start a member's ride thread and introduced yourself with some pics of your car...

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Depends on what you mean only gave you a key. do you have one with a remote or just a normal cut key with no transmitter?

Depending on what you have if you have a key like this one then the car could have an immobiliser that has been linked into the factory key.
MN141117.jpg

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Just read that you have a 97 VR4 so you wouldnt have the two button you would only have a one button but i cant find a picture of one.

I'm sure someone will be able to provide one or take a picture of their key.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
on the pfl legnum I imported that got wrecked it came with the normal key with 1 button and a second key which had no transmitter incorporated so maybe thats what you got instead of the normal?

Blue legnum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joe
Drive
Guys
I just got the plain key no transmitter...
Would like to have the transmitter but don't know were to start regarding part number???
But it sounds like I should be having a one button transmitter at least from what you all are saying!!
Would I have an immobiliser as it starts straight away??
Thanks

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
no I don't think they came out with immobilisers, unless it was an option?

Someone with access to ASA should be able to look up the part number for you, they may need your VIN number and just order it through mitsi.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
MR238201 for single button. (07/1996 -> 08/1998)
MN141117 (revised part number) for two button (08/1998 -> 07/2003)

Blue legnum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joe
Drive
Thanks Guys will look into how much it will set me back??
If it has no immobiliser will it be worth having an alarm with immobiliser fitted so it unlocks & locks the doors when considering how much to program the key??
Cheers

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
yes i would do that rather than buy and program the key. Even just for peace of mind to stop theft

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Mine came with a plain key (no electronics or buttons) and an aftermarket remote locking and immobiliser system.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
No immobiliser in a vr4 ecu

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Do we want it? can steal the code from a Magna :p

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Or an evo, I don't think we do because then we need keys :) Actually I thought someone said they thought the code may be there, just the value is FFFF - sorry - off topic.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Read a mitsubishi battery service bulletin this afternoon from 1998 for EC Galant & Galant Wagon with 6A13, said a transponder key is used. Immobiliser-ecu matches key with stored code and gives engine-ecu ok to start signal. Then again, it was aimed at Galants made in 97 so who knows if it still applies. During compliance they ground the stamped code off my key though? Wonder what that's all about?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
vr4 rom doesn't have any immobilser code in it. I was going to implement it so if a particular wire isn't earthed, car won't start at an ecu level. Most after market alarms have a negative out when armed. So maybe could use that somehow.

Just ideas in the air.

vr4 doesn't even have the key antenna and all the other stuff like the magna and lancer has. Id say its because the Japanese are bit more honest than the rest of the world so there was no need to implement something intended for their own market.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Good idea Joe re: Aftermarket alarm and immob. You can pick up a pretty shit hot Python or Mongoose alarm/immob at a pretty good price. If you want it to still look semi official you can pick up something like a magna blank off ebay;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Key-Mits...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae2e977aa
and then have the seperate keyfob for the alarm. I was so attached to my OEM key that when it broke I went to the panel shop i was working p/t at and repaired it with a dab of bumper glue. I love the OEM keys!

purple_guana

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Wang
Drive
galant VR4
i was thinking perhaps, have a remote central locking installed for the doors and as for immobilisers, have a stealth kill switch hooked up that can only be deactivated via a pre programmed RFID chip concealed in a fake cig lighter thingy so if you are a non smoker have an auto sparky mod your cig lighter socket to accomodate the reciever of the RFID and so when you plug the fake ciggy thing in, it disable the kill switch. take it out and it will activate the kill switch. the kill switch can be for the fuel pump or even immobiliser get what i mean? nowdays people seems ignore alarm sirens and considers it a nuissance, can fit an internal screamer in the cabin so if someone does try to hot wire your ride the internal screamer will flood the cabin making it unbearable. only way to turn off is via a transponder or a hidden switch incase transponder is lost or broken down.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
On the topic of single button incorporated factory keys, anyone know what battery the key takes?
(it's not the same as the one button key fob, Ive already checked)

Top Bottom