remove one tiny part = more KW

G

Unregistered
just found out looking on a website , they are modding a leggy, i scrolled down to find that the boost solinoid has a restrictor inside of one of the inlets, remove it and you'll notice the difference,

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
If you already have a MBC or EBC it will make bugger all difference. If you do not, it will raise your boost to around 10-11 PSI. Better spending the $20-30 getting a MBC and wind it to 14-15 PSI.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
However, the taking out the restrictor is beneficial as it gives more boost at higher RPMS, which MBCs have difficulty doing.

G

Unregistered
that company is not welcome on this website,

and have removed references to it.

you can resume chat about this mod, but not the company.

thanks
carsten

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
ohhhh, that company. fair enough

so, if you remove the pill and add a MBC (at 13psi), will we see any problems?

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Probably. The usual problem with MBCs are that you get a boost spike around 3000RPM which then tapers off as the turbos start having difficulty keeping up the pressure ratio.

The spike causes fuel cut, which basically screws the whole deal as you then can't have the MBC wound high enough to have good boost at higher RPM.

I have had fairly good results with just removing the restrictor... not so good in creating early boost, but better overall

G

Unregistered
just to add the mod is not unsafe IMO, and shouldnt do any harm to the engine by itself,
but you are tampering with boost control, so you are taking the car away from factory tune,

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I actually found different results. My car came on full boost harder with no difference at all in the top end. I had a MBC on 15PSI for 6 months and then removed the restrictor.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
hmmmmm, so:
1, remove the restrictor
2, install MBC
3, reset ecu

hello more [safer] power which comes on stronger

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
I'll be fitting a MBC and removing the restrictor so might do it in stages to note the diff. Interesting.

Noob question but re-setting ecu??
How do i go about it?

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Disconnect the battery for 5 mins, then reconnect and turn on engine. Let it idle for a good 5 mins in neutral with A/C off, and then another 5 mins with A/C on.

Where's the detailed write up for the less mechanically minded of us?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i gave this a shot when i first got my car and found it was a pita. i believe airbox and snorkel had to be taken out, it was a pain to get to and see from there and all i managed to do was tear off a whole heap of degraded insulation and strip one of the bolts on the solenoid cause the heat had affected it so much. oh and i also couldnt unplug the sensors on it for fear of destroying those too.
mbc was a 5 min install and worked a treat. but that too is also now lying on my garage floor somewhere

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
i got mine out with everything in place, just unplugged the vacuum line and used a paperclip like a fish hook.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
haha well i guess if its that easy its worth doing. after an hour or so and my back killing from leaning in there i just gave it up. my car just likes putting up a fight i think

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
LOL poor Dan ;)

I believe there's a how-to thread somewhere with detailed instructions and photos, so go find that :)

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
I had trouble with mine... finally drilled it out carefully to ensure no filings went into the controller. Went to connect it all back up and one of the connectors broke off. Tried to glue it back together, but that failed. Ended up getting a second hand one that still had the restrictor... Decided not to attempt that again.

G

Unregistered
Mike has a good point, the solenoid can go brittle from the engine heat and there's a reasonable chance of breaking it. But I suppose that gives you an excuse to go buy an EBC then :)

GoldenDragoon

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Troy
Drive
Legnum VR4
So what happens if you bypass this solenoid all together? I assume it would work of what ever the waste gate settings are?

Top Bottom