remove one tiny part = more KW

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
i had a full set of sewing needles of different diametres and hooks. none of this worked. most of them wouldnt even fit inside the restrictor, and the ones which did were too narrow to apply any force. spent about 30mins trying this with no success what so ever. and also it started raining so i was faced with the choice of quickly putting the car back together or take a break for the rain to die down. waited it out and then like i said, got a little file and started attacking the restrictor from the outside, thru the plastic nossle. eveyrthing is so soft and small it doesnt take much effort to carve a nice little groove thru the nossle and into the restrictor. then got a mini screw driver (tweesers would work also) and popped it out using the groove as leverage. this approach only took me 10 mins. defiantly recommended. just be careful with the file.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
If you have a grinder handy, use an old fairly small drill bit and grind it down to a small hook point that will fit into the restrictor opening. The fact you generate some sideways pressure helps to hook it out.

Have done 3 or 4 now with mine, each one in seconds.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Are there any downsides to this mod? If not, I wonder why the factory put the restrictor in there in the first place?

I recall that on the 200sx's, removing the restrictor would result in boost spikes and erratic boost pressures.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i recall discussions that it may have been to bring power back to the 206kw agreement?

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
It is probably merely a way of using the same part in many applications.
Same part in many applications = cheap.

I suspect the pill was put there to dampen the responsiveness of the small turbos, giving the solenoid more flexibility in control over its useful pulse width range (~20-80% by my experiments)

TTFreak

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dan
Drive
Red Super VR-4 Galant
I successfully removed my restrictor (to the demise of a dental pick), but while giving the hose one last push on, I felt a crack (firstly inside the hose, then in my heart). Anyone know where I can get a replacement? Mike where did you get yours? Any help much appreciated...

After 3 weeks of waiting, my emmision solenoid finally arrived from Mitsi Japan (AU$102) and while I was steadfast in my resolve to not mess with the restrictor for fear of snapping this one also and having to wait ANOTHER lifetime for a replacement, when I held the part in my hands, greed overtook me. I grabbed a corkscrew (thanks mickkcim) and popped the offending pill out in under 2 mins. Put everything back together, went through the tuning excercise, and took her for a drive. Definitely more punch in the early-to-mid range. Not substantial, just enough to make me smile. Thanks to everyone who offered info and pics.

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
i pulled the bit out, and checked everything was together when i was putting it all back together, but now when i hit around 5krpm theres a bit of a shunt as if i put my foot on the break for a split second

any idea what it could be?

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
This happens only when accelerating? Every time? If you take off in second? Nothing else out of the ordinary?

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
But why would he have boost cut at 5kph? And if he did should it not only happen once or twice as the ecu adjusts accordingly? I thought boost cut at first but it doesn't make much sense from the info he has given (as boost/fuel cut is not speed dependant)

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
5000rpm not 5kph, ecu doesnt adjust. if it goes over 15psi you still hit boost cut

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Omfg my bad I thought he wrote 5kmph not 5krpm. Well yeah duh boost cut lol.

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
it happened about 4 times just after taking the thing out, and yes it happened in second aswell.
the car still goes fine if your not pushing it, but i could have got a yaris if i wanted to drive like a granny lol

i dont have a boost controller. all mechanical components are stock accept front mount intercooler but that wouldnt be the issue...
everything went fine before hand

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Anyway, if you dont have a boost controller i would check all the small vacuum hoses that were disconnected, could be something not plugged back in or a split somewhere. If you have no luck, you will prob have to put back the restricitor.

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
yeh the engine was cold.
i will check it all tomorrow, but im pretty sure its all together and i dont think any of the hoses split but you never know i guess.....

thanks for your help
and i will update later tomorrow

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
When I removed mine I hit boost cut the first time I went through 5k rpm. Only happened the first time however.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
It's easy to hit boost cut at lower rpm especially with exhaust & IC mods. When I had a split hose going to the wastegate I was boost cutting at 3500. Boost cut is purely dependent on the AFM and the denser/fast flowing the air is at low rpm the more chance the ECU has of thinking readings don't make sense.

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
well i took a look, and i had two hoses mixed around lol. so i switched them over and now the same thing happens at about 7krpm :( and all the hoses are nice and rubbery so i dont think they would be split

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
ok so my last post fixed my initial problem lol, but after doing so i seemed to have accidently left 2 hoses off that connect to the pipe just after the afm
plugged them back in and its all sweet now. thanks for your help

oh and a picture on another forum on this website was what led me to find out the two hoses where wrong

Top Bottom