remove one tiny part = more KW

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
just a small point, all the Evos have a parameter that limits boost when engine temp is below a threshold, I'm guessing the VR4 will have the same codeing.

Also, while removing the solenoid restrictor is a good mod, if still running the factory booost control, the ecu will see the system running above its preset target table and attempt to make a correction.
The correction interval is factory set at 1000mS, same as Evos.
I usually reduce this to 300mS on Evos for quicker correction response.
So removing the restrictor will likley only really have benefit in the lower rev range, before the ecu has caught up with events.
The correction table/code is quite aggressive, but can be wound back.

What I have seen is when the restictor is removed, the factory boost control can be tuned to give quite good results, due to the additional air that the BCS can bypass.

VR4legnum98

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Horacio
Drive
VR4 legnum
Hi Guys..... I'm new to the Leggy world and this thread has caught my attention ...
please forgive me for my ignorance but what is a MBC? , what does it do? any pics to help Identify it.... I would be so greatful
this thread is awesome and I thank you all for the information that you guys give ...
Keep up the good work

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4

VR4legnum98

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Horacio
Drive
VR4 legnum
Thanks Rick , great info , helps alot .... going to look into it
this should be intresting

jAY jAY

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jayden
Drive
Mitsubishi Galant VR4 type V, 2001
Would you need 2 MBC's as there are 2 wastegates? or can you just use the one on the turbo in the upper rear of the engine (next to intake manifold) that connects to the wastegate solenoid?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Nope, there is a T-Piece, just 1 MBC on the red tipped hose coming from the intake elbow.

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 5 spd Manual
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Project - Datsun 1600 Turbo rotary conv.
So... as there might very well have been links in here and "how-tos", them links is dead.

Any chance someone on here is able to revisit the idea and tell us newer members the meat and vege of how to go about this?

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to appreciate it.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Get it tuned with a 3 port. Tuner should be able to fit the 3 port while you're at it ;)

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 5 spd Manual
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Project - Datsun 1600 Turbo rotary conv.
1 - whats 3 port tuned mean?

and.....

2 - in Rockhampton? Thats a bit ambitious for this little place mate :)

zac billetski

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
zac
Drive
1996 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4, 1980 Datsun 280zx, 1979 Datsun 210
i have a copy of a writeup that im currently using to install my EBC. if that interests anyone ill find it and attach it.

i didn't write it, but it used to be posted on club vr4, may well still be there for all i know.

Top Bottom