Removing rain shields

enragevr4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
enragevr4
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4
True to the comment above. Citrus does work wonders but you do have to work one small patch of area at a time to get the adhesive off. I used a full 110ml bottle of Orange Power from Woolies. I would recommend 2 bottles next time as i used it sparingly but that’s just me

Corrupt

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
Daily: 1998 Galant VR-4
Project: 1934 Ford Roadster
Could also depend what state you door window frames are in (in my case i sanded back and repainted all of them).

I just used a sharp blade to CAREFULLY pries the shields off then with a heat gun scrape the adhesive off the window frames but NOT the shields themselves.

I wanted to put the shields back on the car so i soaked the shields in a bath with hot water and car wash soap for about 24 hours, after the bath the remaining adhesive practically fell off the shields using a bit of wax and grease remover and one of those blue chuck out dish cloths.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
Oh it's a pain in the shfincta!
Easy enough to warm up the shields and run a blade on the shield side of the tape with WD-40 on the blade to glide through.
Found some goo and stain remover called Oomph...stupid name but it works.
I found you only apply a bit at a time and it removes the old tape in layers.
Big soak didn't work as is
IMG_20200409_080517.jpg
can only penetrate so far. Probably did them 4 times, layer by layer but no scratches.
Have another job on the go and come back to them every 10 minutes with a rag, something like an old towel cut up in small pieces to hold the crud and not smear it back on.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
Oh it's a pain in the shfincta!
Easy enough to warm up the shields and run a blade on the shield side of the tape with WD-40 on the blade to glide through.
Found some goo and stain remover called Oomph...stupid name but it works.
I found you only apply a bit at a time and it removes the old tape in layers.
Big soak didn't work as is can only penetrate so far. Probably did them 4 times, layer by layer but no scratches.
Have another job on the go and come back to them every 10 minutes with a rag, something like an old towel cut up in small pieces to hold the crud and not smear it back on.
So now I'm stuck on painting up the window/door trims!
Started this job and bailed like 6 times!
Masking, cleaning, windows open, windows closed, too cold, too warm, too windy!
Left it, looks like crap and spent 4 enjoyable hours removing turbo dump pipes and fitting fabricated ceramic coated new pipes, much more enjoyable!

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Eucalyptus oil is what you want to remove the residue. Use a caramel wheel first then clean it with eucalyptus oil, works a treat.

Top Bottom