Rewiring the engine control loom (ECU -> Engine) what to add?

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
So I am rewiring the loom. Got a fair bit of stuff all sorted, pulled a good portion of the protective wrapping/conduit off so that I can put some heat resistant sleeving on (wanted nicer result to just replacing the conduit).

Thought it would be a good idea to add some stuff to the loom for the future (standalone ECU one day, though I am half way tempted to wire it in now... the decisions!)

I won't necessarily be wiring the sensors up, but I want to make sure I have the additional wiring in place to handle what I might want to use in the future.

On my list so far:
  • MAP sensor
  • 3 Additional ignition outputs
  • Additional knock sensor
  • Additional O2 sensor input
  • 2x IAT sensors (pre-post intercooler, separate turbo outlets or whatever... can't have too many of these)
  • Water temp (for gauge)
  • Oil Temp (for gauge)
  • Oil pressure (for gauge)
  • Pressure sensor (for boost gauge)
  • Alarm siren wiring

On my list of maybes
  • Thermocouple wiring (2 EGT, 2 CHT)

These lists are essentially what I have sensors for right now.

Any ideas on additions?
Here is my current "progress" :p
IMG_2378.jpg

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Im halfway wiring in my link but ran out of money to finish it so its on hold until after xmas for me to finish it.

but the other thinks im going to wire in that you could also do are

-Flex fuel sensor
-I/C water sprayer or meth/water injection pump/injector
-Antilag switch

I also want to add in some pyros (thermocouple) too. going to put a big break plug mounted on the firewall. If I do wish to take the engine out I can just unplug one plug and swing the loom onto the motor.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Wiring for fast n furious style neon lighting and sub woofers in the engine bay?

j/k

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
+1 flex fuel

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Also I reccomend removing the stock engine loom and just making one from scratch with the loom supplied with the Link ECU we got. the factory loom is a bit queer. and that way it comes out much nicer compared to just adding to the stock loom and having to add in new powers and grounds for the other 3 coils etc etc

TL;DR
Put your Link in now! ....

(so I can steal the base map tune off you for when mine is going haha)

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Haha Adam, I was going to do the same (wait for you to get a base tune that is)

How is the standard loom queer? It all seems pretty logical to me.
Problem is that to re-wire totally adds a fair bit of time and risk. I have the old (auto) loom here, so one option is to wire up a link one afterwards so I can swap the loom out when moving to the link.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
hopefully Ill have a tune on mine some time in Feb as I finish my degree this week :) and can start working. but mine will be with the mivec heads so will be quite different to yours. but ill email you the .PCL file when I have it done regardless.

possibly generalised the loom being queers because I mucked about with the dash loom (removed all traces of AYC and all traces of the stock engine loom) and deleted the underbonet fusebox by adding new relays and fuses under the dash but I remember there being some oddball grounds and certain things looping back and forth for no reason.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Hmm, removing the fusebox from the engine bay is tempting. Did you use the standard fusebox, or something else? (If so, what and where did you get it)

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Ken, hes using a custom relay/fuse set up. Im in the process of relocating the factory fusebox into the glovebox.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
I just got generic fuse holders w pins and relay holders and have mounted them below the headunit directly behind the ciggarette lighter>
hard to see but heres a pic with my relay holders mounted
20130914_154644.jpg.html

there's quite a bit of stuffing around to move the fusebox but its do-able
20130708_201151.jpg.html

I got carl to source the fuse holders and relaay holders, I can ask him where he got them from if need be pretty sure the fuse holders and pins were from littelfuse-inc

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I got carl to source the fuse holders and relaay holders, I can ask him where he got them from if need be pretty sure the fuse holders and pins were from littelfuse-inc
Would be good if you could please.
A bit lazy on my part, but the part numbers etc would make life much easier (especially if you have done it already and know what is needed).
Kinda in a hurry too :p LOL

Top Bottom