[SA] Friday Night Cruise - January 21

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
I should still be able to make it to atleast the meet point, if not a bit of the run.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
This is everyone who replied to this thread:
Ed84 – Eddie – white Legnum
Triggs – Matt – Trigger Galant
Smedsvr4 – Josh - Galant
Inspite – White Galant
SLY-031 – Joel – Black Legnum
Twisted32 – Rob – Trigger Legnum
Bogan Bob – Dion – Silver Leggie
Skip187 – Shane – Trigger Legnum
VR4TT – Brett – Trigger Galant
Eddyvr4 – Eddy – White Legnum
Kymbo – Kym – Black Galant
jdm_vr4 - Steve - Black Evo 6.5 (maybe)
Jonson – Jon – White EVO 8

You better all make it! :p

G

Unregistered
If I can...

If I do bring the Evo it will purely be for "For Sale" advertising purposes :) otherwise I would bring the VR4.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
This is everyone who replied to this thread:
Ed84 – Eddie – white Legnum
Triggs – Matt – Trigger Galant
Smedsvr4 – Josh - Galant
Inspite – White Galant
SLY-031 – Joel – Black Legnum
Twisted32 – Rob – Trigger Legnum
Bogan Bob – Dion – Silver Leggie
Skip187 – Shane – Trigger Legnum
VR4TT – Brett – Trigger Galant
Eddyvr4 – Eddy – White Legnum
Kymbo – Kym – Black Galant
jdm_vr4 - Steve - Black Evo 6.5 (maybe)
Jonson – Jon – White EVO 8

You better all make it! :p

wont be in a silver leggie but anyway...

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
02 vr4 galant, 92 vr4, 85 starion
I will be coming to in a blk Galant and my mate as well in his legnum:) is it ok if my brother comes in his 92 Galant vr4????

ed84

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddie
Drive
09' Mitsubishi SWB Pajero NT X DiD, Honda CBR250rr
HAD: 99' Legnum s 2 Type S, 98' Galant S2 Type V
Fucking awesome night Lee! Brillant route. Was getting a bit sad at the end on Gorge road when that camry or whatever in front of you was fanging it 20ks below the speed limit and not pulling into the slow car turnout, but then we turned off onto corkscrew road (y).

Cheers!

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Was a very good night. Was good to meet some new faces. Seriously, just the way you guys conduct yourselves, and how chilled you all are is enough to make me buy a Legnum for the business.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Glad you guys (and everyone else?) enjoyed themselves. Can't believe I missed the turnoff in Lobethal!! Didn't seem to matter in the end as I somehow ended up leading again. Basket Range was fun (as always) and the sounds echoing off the rock faces through corkscrew was devine! :D

I've put some photo's to the thread started by Dion: if you have more please add them:
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?10595-SA-Cruise-21-Jan-11

G

Unregistered
Corkscrew was tail happy first gear sideways action at It's best...sorry to Jon who got an ear full of intake screaming lol.

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Very, very enjoyable run through the hills, The Vr4 felt totally in its element on the run through to Lobethal, the pace was not leisurely as promised, but with a clear run on one of the best driving roads the adelaide hills has to offer, how can one not press on a little? I found myself about 5 cars back from the front following ed82 and was suprised at how composed and planted Eds Legnum looked as it surged forward from one corner to the next, the rear squatting under full throttle followed occasionally by a puff of black exhaust, as Ed decided it was probably time to go for the brake pedal instead. My car,on 18s and coilovers feels a bit harsh now at sedate speeds, but felt absolutley perfect at the pace we ran at. Fast enough to be challenged by the occasion to drive well, and fast enough to really appreciate the benefits of the coilovers, the extra torque from the bigger exhaust and more boost, the low profile rubber and decent pads. But also restrained enough to still allow a real margin for a mistake or
something unexpected.

The cars predictability and willingness (particularly with the coilovers) to respond to steering adjustment mid-corner is simply brilliant when on throttle (thanks in part to AYC), and still suprisingly good off throttle, considering the front end heaviness. Rear strut brace makes a difference here too. Also fantastic is the feedback through the wheel and the chassis. The car does let you know when you have made a mistake, (ie too fast corner approach + late braking on entry will result in obvious understeer) but the chassis is just so tolerant and with so much grip that one can simply correct the mistake with more throttle or steering (for me usually just the latter) and a mental note to do better next time.

Of course you need some understanding of the cars limits and more importantly your own, but at 7 to 8 tenths this car is just so enjoyable to drive now, and so much more agile and responsive than a stocker. Repeated full-Boost performance felt very consistent with no noticible heatsoak issues, helped by the water injection and Intercooler sprayers and bigger IC (i used almost 4.5 liters of water on that one drive!).

For me, Getting to point B in a short space of time does carry some satisfaction and street cred. But theres plenty of machinery out there for the same money that could keep up with a VR4. The difficulty is to find a car with practicality and peformance on a budget, that could challenge your skill as a driver, but also be enjoyable & not terrifying to drive rapidly. Its not satisfying anymore for me to simply feel a sense of relief in arriving at the end still alive. Thats what motorbikes and early mazda rotaries are for. The Legnum is the first car ive owned and been able to modify to a point where its genuinely enjoyable though the tight hills backroads at a pace where my skill is challenged but my safety (and others)is not recklessly compromised at the same time. Also the strong midrange favours a more relaxed, flowing driving style which is appropriate for street driving & i prefer to the more frantic delivery of a peaky engine that tends to encourage a more frantic driving style as well to keep the pace interesting, and attracts undesirable attention.

Unfortunately the forced 4-3 and 3-2 downshift in the semi-automatic is dissapointingly slow when punting along, although the pause while you wait for the downshift does give you time to clean out the glovebox and realign the floormats. But all thing considered i still reccomend the semi Auto as a good all round compromise.. I barely had to change from 3rd for the whole trip anyway...

Admittedley i have had to compromise the Legnums ride and comfort somewhat to acheive handling im satisfied with, but i accept that, becuase in my case its not a daily driver, and i live right on the door step of some fantastic driving roads. And judging by the grins on the faces of drivers as they stepped out at Lobethal, im not the only one enjoying driving them..

Now.... how to make it better.... :p

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I THINK I met triggs and JUSTCRUZN at the meet, I have no idea though. I was talking to SteveP.

Maybe we need a "What do you look like?" thread to help this :p

Top Bottom