Seems down on power

Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
1997 Trigger PFL Manual Legnum.
When my *wife* commented that my car seems down on power accelerating onto the freeway, my car is well down on power.

It's running Shell V-Power, so it probably isn't current lousy fuel. Any pointers on where to start looking to find my ponies?

It just doesn't rev out well. It will still redline, just not happily. No obvious boost leaks, but don't rule one out.

Vstar_83

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matthew
Drive
96 Gen 8 VR4 Galant
I was told not to use V-power, I thought it was good fuel as well. Do you know how much boost you're running?

Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
1997 Trigger PFL Manual Legnum.
I have no idea why it goes down on power, it's fine now.

I live in country, so what 98 do you recommend? Bear in mind, BP is 12cpl above Shell, and the Caltex only has 95.

Darkhorse

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Doug
Drive
Legnum
Everyone I know who has a dyno recommends BP over the others.

Also 12cpl is a lot cheaper than having me and the mad scientist rip apart the block to replace the piston rings you fried...

47voeXL.jpg

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Yes, but in QLD at least, I don't think BP fuel is supplied by BP any more...

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
Talk about a broad question! Haha.

Do you know what boost you are running? IE Do you have a boost gauge to look at while accelerating?

Do you know your air-fuel ratios? Is it using excessive petrol?

What mods have you done? I know stuff like @naughtika's COP kit can help with spark and smooth out acceleration. In my mind if it doesn't like to rev I'd think fuel delivery/spark issues.

Have you checked your plugs?

What weight oil are you running? When was it last changed?

When was it last tuned? Has anything major changed since then?

Checked your throttle body - maybe the valve won't open fully for some reason.

Have you checked your air filter for restriction?

Other than that it might be drivetrain - clutch slipping etc, or just auto box lyfe haha.

Seriously there's so many things that can attribute to what feels like a loss of power. Even down to under-inflated tyres, or heavy rims - steel rims are pretty bad from what I've heard. A few extra kg in the rims makes a big difference because that's the part that's spinning.

Top Bottom