Series 1&2 tiptronics - differences???

G

Unregistered
So i realise there is a power difference of about 20ps between the series 1 and 2 tiptronic gearboxes, but why??

Does anyone know the actual mechanical and functional differences between the 2?? its a big influence on whether i get a series 1 or 2 Legnum

G

Unregistered
We think there is a difference in boost, the ECU's are different, and whats even stranger is the Super VR4 could possibly have a different ECU. (Its listed as a different ECU on the MINE's website)
There is no factual data on what the differences are ... but Bradc or Gly have some thoughts ...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
we always beleived there was just one gearbox spec and that in the prefacelifts mitsi tried to keep the power and torque down a bit to make the gearbox last longer, then decided that it was lasting ok anyway and bumped it up to 280hp in the facelift cars.

Then this thread popped up

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28270&highlight=owc

It sounds like there is a difference, but I'm not really sure, and we don't even know where the one way clutch is in the trans, or what it does! We also don't know if that was the only change, or if they strengthened it at all.

G

Unregistered
So do they feel any different to drive? stuff like shift times etc??

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
noone really knows. What is important for shift times is the gearbox oil temp and the type of oil used.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Thanks for that link, Brad - I'd be interested to hear how Serenity got on - been no update for a while.

Top Bottom