shift kit to make an auto change fast like a manual

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
awd better, rev up, and drop brake , no wheelspin, just a shite-load of G's being exerted...lol

G

Unregistered
There are actually two different w5a51 trans! one, pre 98's have an older style clutching. The other post 98's have a newer improved one way clutching system. I have no idea which one shifts faster but am about to find out as I blew my trans (00 owc) and am about to put a reco'd 97 into it.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Interesting. Any reason you're not putting a Series 2 tranny in there?

And welcome to the forums, Levi ;)

G

Unregistered
$$$$$!!!!
Only putting the 97 in because it's been reconditioned just under 12 months ago and I scored it for a song, some poor chap totaled his legnum.

Going to keep the series two and have a shot at fixing it up myself! One can never have to many transmissions with a car like this!!!!!! Brad has swapped a series one with a 2 and didn't experience any trouble with the ecu and the owc, so I'm fairly (75%) sure they should be quite interchangable!

Thanks for the Welcome, I'm taking photo's as I go so if anyone needs a visual on anything just give me a yell and I can post it up!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I went the opposite way though interestingly, still no problems at all though.

G

Unregistered
Hence the 75% certanty, There is still an unknown quantity. The wrecker is looking into it. He's ex marshall's (Marshalls transmssions, best in the biz) and know's his auto's, There is still a possibility that the sequencing, gear ratios etc.. may cause a prob with the speedo or the trans ecu being slighty different to suit the 2nd series.

only be a small mtter of swapping out the trans ecu to fit the box though, I'd venture to say at this stage.

I instinctivly feel that the older clutching would make for a rawer ride though! cause my old box shifted like a pro in drive but was too smooth and laggy in trip (despite having a laugh at a monaro getting feul cut one sat night he he he).

G

Unregistered
Could be, it is a different box though.

Something to do with the sequencing none the less, I'm certainly not a trans expert and there is definately a difference in the numbers. The spec spreads that he showed me seemed to make sense of them and no doubt the 1 and 2 have different numbers.

nabassu

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Maciek
Drive
VR-4 TypeS
the launch sequence (both pedals) should not be keep over 5 seconds (trans oil will boil, and yuo'll end the transmission).
bigger oil cooler will help (from BMW with solenoid)

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Dead thread revived with heart paddles, oh dear, oxygen deprevation... brain activity ...... flat lining..... for gods sake, switch the machine off......

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Madhav's gearbox he is selling apparently has a shift kit with it ?

PM him for more details...

nabassu

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Maciek
Drive
VR-4 TypeS
sorry :)
i'm in the middle of searching answers to my stalling and battery problems, didn't noticed 2007

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Nah, Maciek, all good, I'm in a Katy place this morning, I'm at a loss as to your battery dilemma, outside the realms of my brain, one of our guys will no doubt have some pointers for you though.

My un-educated guess would be that if when you disconnect the battery there is no issues, ie it stays charged , then you may have a short somewhere.

nabassu

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Maciek
Drive
VR-4 TypeS
heh :)
so best wishes for brand new day.
i'm going to sleep (poland, raining all day :( )
i love this site, i have no engine experience whatsoever, but i feel that with all this topics i can now repair even my oil leak :)
i have a hand to mechanics, but no knowledge :( (i'm a photographer, but love to know technics)

Top Bottom