Shift Kits for our Autos

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
This dude at Baileys automatics said a shift kit could be made up to suit our 5 speed autos!!! Only problem is the dude hasn't returned my damn call, going in there today to find out why.

What does it do ?
The shift module connects to the vehicle's engine or transmission control unit, and alters the way that the transmission shifts from one gear to the next.
The single stage modules provide a firmer shift that is selectable by the flick of a switch, whereas the Two Stage modules have two independantly selectable stages of shift firmness which can also be selected by a switch. Adjustable modules are supplied with a variable control giving you total control over shift firmness.
These modules are also able to be completely overriden by switching them off, therefore your car will behave exacltly as it did without the module installed.

How does it work ?

The module alters the signal the engine / transmission control unit provides to the transmission to control the line pressure. By slightly increasing the line pressure, the transmission changes harder from one gear to the next. This not only reduces heat generated within the clutches and bands in the transmission, but also will increase transmission lift and reduce wear.

Will it damage my transmission ?

The shift modules will in fact reduce wear and friction within the transmission, therefore your transmission will last longer.

Shift kits for various transmissions have been around for years, but now with the new range of electronically controlled transmissions, these are the only option.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I'd be a bit cautious about reading stuff to promote these shift kits. After all it's in their best interest to talk it up as much as possible. My experience with these shift kits is that they put a lot more stress on the drive train under load including the auto box itself. Also diffs in auto cars are not designed for hard shifting. So that's just me erring on the side of caution. Personally I like the idea of these shift kits; I think its a step in the right direction to not have to do a manual swap. I just think it's good to know the cons as well.:)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
It's a good point Josh, something to research a little more before jumping in I agree...

As it goes I went in to the Baileys Automatics and the dude, Stuart Bailey of course wasn't there, tried his mobile, no answer, so thats the end of that, I refuse to deal with people like that.

Getting RPW to fit the thermo oil cooler and new injectors next week, and from there will tune it and boost it up.

G

Unregistered
i have had the idea of hooking up some f1 style paddles, but just need a wiring digram.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
thought installing the F1 style paddles was easy? check out the guid section.. there's a guide there to switch the wiring in tip mode..

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I had a "shift kit" like this in my EF Fairmont for about a year. All it is a simple voltage divider made with resistors, altering the voltage to the gearbox. Cost me about $4 from memory ;) No reason why it can't be done with the 5sp as long as the line pressure is varied by the trans ECU - would need to investigate the electronics/guts of the CPU I Guess...

Honestly, in my fairmont made 2/10's f**k all difference when driving (to 0-100 times) except more stress on the driveline. Its true the stress on the box is less (less friction = less heat) But the diff and driveshafts take a hammering. I wouldnt worry about it personally.

G

Unregistered
yeah i am looking into just connecting to the exisiting resistors and simulate the movement of the lever with a push on button.

sound like a plan?

G

Unregistered
Before i removed my auto i spoke to Mike from MV Autos, he has done a few of these boxes, just the 5spd one out of the Ralliart magna. He said they are the same valve bodies so this can be done

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Before i removed my auto i spoke to Mike from MV Autos, he has done a few of these boxes, just the 5spd one out of the Ralliart magna. He said they are the same valve bodies so this can be done

So he has actually put shift kits onto these autos before hey?

If so I'll give him a call as this dude at Baileys has done a runner and I couldn't find any info online as to where to get shift kits for our autos.

G

Unregistered
MV Autos have a really good reputation with their shift kits on the Skylines.

I think that they even got the 5-speed auto from Martin Donnon's RB25DE 4dr (not the 4-speed with the RB25DET) working fine with the RB26DETT that he dropped in for HPI magazine... No blow ups no unwanted slippage...

Definetly worth a call...

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Found the video, shifts pretty hard.

Here's the link for the dude who did it, will give this dude mike a call after my car is tuned.

EDIT: Here's the dude's business details

44017768.MVAUTOMATICS.jpg

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
That is VERY nice. Did you notice that he switched the shift kit off once he'd reached cruising speed. Is there some reason for it not being hard wire full time?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
The only thing I see here is that the Mitsi autos "learn" and change shift points depending on how you drive (to a degree), whereas the Falcons and commos don't do that. So will this mean that the shift kit will have to be more complex? This was a problem that the Magna guys had with auto shift kits (same INVECS II boxes)

G

Unregistered
Just disable the INVECS II? I don't reckon it is anything special anyway.

And as far as taking stress off the drive train goes you can always install carbon fibre drive shafts? Works in RWD cars.

G

Unregistered
As Brad said it will be in limp home mode if you do that all the time.

Top Bottom