Sloppy Gear Stick; Shims; adjust gear stick play.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Hey I put in some extra words in the case of someone searching in the future.

Well, When I was putting my aerial power on tonight, I noticed shims spacing the socket which the gear stick sits in out... which made the stick have more play / loose feel.

So I pulled them all out, then had a feel with it tight and it wouldn't snap back centred in neutral any more, so I added one back in and it has play, but definitely is a lot tighter than it was. Less play, more direct feel = win!

Dad thought it might be that you remove them as the socket wears over the life of the car.... *Shrug*

Anyone know the deal? Also should the socket our stick turns in be lubed? If so with what.

So if the play in your gear stick annoys you like it did me, well this is a pretty easy fix.

Pic:
iphone.jpg

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
I've done this too.
I greased up the socket with your everyday grease. Just to help the smoothness, it isnt required, but a bit of lube always helps!!! :ROFLMAO:

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Where's bradc or someone to give us 3 paragraphs on the factory where the shims where made and the varying reasons shims have been used and how he has a mate who has carbon fibre shims in his car etc. ?!

I guess it's pretty straight forward. It is true lube can't hurt :O

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Well...my car doesn't have any shims there at all! Thats all I know on the matter :)

Top Bottom