Someone to flash my ECU

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, is there anyone in the Canberra area who can flash my ECU (7203)?? Wanting to get better fuel economy but still have the power when needed. ATM I am getting 300-330ks per tank and as I don't have a heavy right foot I would love to get this better.

Gary

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Maybe pm Stiv on here and see if he wants a road trip

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
That is a terrible economy level, it should be a lot better than that. I would suggest to replace your oxygen sensor first and do some regular maint. items.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Well that depends if he's putting in 45-50L its about average 13.5-15L/100km. Both my Legnum did 13-14L/100km

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
A flash tune isn't a magic cure to high fuel usage, it will help but it's not going to make your car go from 300km up to 450km per tank. I thought my legnum had bad fuel economy (around 13-14L/100km) but after a reflash it didn't really drop at all. Better off changing all the likely suspects first, o2 sensors, air filter, plugs etc.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thanks guys, all usual suspects changed in past 6 months. The economy has been shit since I purchased it, the best I got was 11L/100km on a trip prior to installing the cruise control.

Gary

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
also just a suggestion..

check your pipe works for possible air leak.. usually is a culprit if the o2 sensor, air filter and others are in check..

and if you do insist on getting it flash, I also suggest that you do your homework with it.. as in oil change (engine, transmission, diff and ayc), plugs and fuel pump.. that way you can take advantage of the flash tune.. :)

mine's currently doing 13L/100kms after replacing the pump.. so definitely i will need Shtiv to re-tune mine..

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Someone sent Shtiv down here too.

Is yours an auto or manual? I used to get shit economy with my auto, 350km per tank, regardless of driving style. 450+ now after manualization and fmic.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I believe Merlin flew to QLD to do a group tune so if you can organise a few people, he might be keen for a shorter trip to the ACT.

On the issue of economy, modifying driving style is often one of the easiest ways to improve economy.

When do you upshift? Do you try and keep momentum and coast to a stop sign rather than having to brake late? How hard do you accelerate? What conditions do you drive in?

Depending on driving style and conditions, I can get anywhere between 8-16L/100klm.

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
The maximum I've received from a full tank is 505km.

Thats normal driving (easy/hard), on BP Ultimate. My o2 sensor still hasnt been changed!

Yet to change all fluids in my car... hopefully I can gain more than 500!

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
+1 driving style. Stock rom in my ECU with safc which only corrects over 50% throttle (which is VERY rare during my day to day driving) and I got 500km on my last tank. 3" cat-back, FMIC with sillicon piping & new O2 sensor is all I've done. I use AccuFuel on iPhone and Fuelly.com to track economy. Few good tips on http://www.fuelly.com/tips/.

wendnarb

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
1998 VR4 legnum
It does depend what you call empty though! I will run my tank to when it says empty but can only put 40-45L in. From these L I only get 350km max but it works out to be average of just under 14L/100km which i don't think is too bad! Mind you I do have a heavy right foot and drive in traffic a lot.

Good to see other people track there petrol on there phones too doesn't make me feel like such a nerd! Haha

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
^ I'm with Ben, I thought I was getting awful economy but then I considered that when my fuel light comes on I can only put in about 45 litres rather than the 60ish I was using to do my maths. Fuel gauge is the worst thing ever.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Thanks guys, all usual suspects changed in past 6 months. The economy has been shit since I purchased it, the best I got was 11L/100km on a trip prior to installing the cruise control.

Gary
If your car is auto then I would say nothing is wrong, I never did better then 12L/100km in my auto legnum and I have read about people getting a lot worse. It's a twin turbo v6 pulling about 1500kg around the place, so naturally they are gonna be a bit of a guzzler.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, most of my driving is around town and living in Canberra, there is not to many traffic lights. I have just noticed that I can hear a destincitve a phss sound when it changes gears which leads me to think the BOV is leaking. As I already said, I have changed the o2 sensor, plugs etc not to long ago and I change to oil every 5000ks. Last time I cleaned the motor (while it was running) I did notice that it hesitated when I washed it down especially around the stock rubber pipes. Being on a invalid pension makes it hard to replace everything at once so this might take a while to sort out but once again, thanks for all the suggestions.

Gary

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Looks like you've potentially found your problem then. Grab yourself a spray bottle and systematically spray the vacuum lines & piping to further narrow down the source. Gotta boost gauge? They're a pretty handy diagnostic tool to check for leaks.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Needs to be a gauge with vac and boost, when at idle vac should be around -20 (someone else might know the exact number), if it's less then this then there is a leak somewhere. Small leaks can make a big difference.

Top Bottom