Stalling: Any suggestions?

G

Unregistered
The past few months my legnum has skipped a beat and felt like a .5 second hickup in the engine every now and then, lets say 1-2 times on a 30 minute trip, barely noticed it at start. Then it became more regular. And once after filling up it just would stall every time i touched the throttle, it seemed to idle fairly well, not too badly but if i touch throttle it would stall. I could sometime bring the revs up very slowly without it stalling and i can sometime get revs up by just planting it. Eventually after waiting around trying few things car started to run perfect and didnt hickup for 2-3 weeks so i thought i had fixed it. But then it started again and has become very regular stalling issue after i have gotten in the car, to the point where i kinda expect it to stall on me. The only way i can get it running when it stalls is trying a few times to just floor it and get the car running and from there i dont nromally have too much of an issue, although a few times ive got it running but to the point where it ran distgustingly. I'm thinking it has to be electrical because engine runs perfect when its not screwing up like that. I'm thinking it could be the air flow controller/sensor. I will give it a clean soon and see if that fixes anything. Any other suggestions guys? I rather do everything myself and try find the simple issue which it probably is before taking it somewhere and spending a fortune and still not fixing the issue. Because it happens irregularly its hard to find the issue.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Coil Packs
Leads
Spark Plugs
Injectors
MAF
Cable to MAF
Intercooler piping
Fuel rail

off the top of my head.

G

Unregistered
Hmmm any other suggestions? been fine the past week no issue maybe 1 hickup, no stalls.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
check your alternator if its charging up fine.. also do you notice if your lights dim when you're on idle? how about the speedometer? does it just drop down to 0 when it feels like its stalling?!

btw.. do you know if when the last time the spark plugs were done? what mileage had the car done?

G

Unregistered
When does this occur? Is it when engine temperature is normal or cold? I'd check the fuel system and plugs/wires. Sensors should bring up a check engine light and if a sensor is bad the ECU can use other data to get the job done but worth a check anyway.
Start with the easy tune up stuff then work your way through the fuel system - fuel filters, fuel rail, injector 'o' rings, Fuel pump and associated hoses in tank as well as electrical connections.
Good Luck

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
check your alternator if its charging up fine.. also do you notice if your lights dim when you're on idle? how about the speedometer? does it just drop down to 0 when it feels like its stalling?!

btw.. do you know if when the last time the spark plugs were done? what mileage had the car done?
Thread hijack: I got that issue specially when turning on my indicator. So I guess my alternator is going out.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Iriwn, this happens to me too.. but im not worried cause i've tested my alternator in a span of 9 months and charge rate is just the same.. i guess what im trying to say is... dont worry its normal.. LOL

G

Unregistered
when it feels like its stalling i barely get time to look at speedo, but na it doesnt go to 0. Revs just drop for half a sec, normally around the 2-3k rev range.

Last few times stalling occured after startup, except the first time i had been driving for 15 mins. Once after a stall i got the car moving but it ran so bad it was coughing and revs were going everywhere.

No idea about spark plugs, i had front ones check just recently and they seemed fine, i don't think it would be sparkplugs seems different o that sort of an issue.

It does feel like it is overfueling when it stalls though, stinks of fuel after trying to get it to run, but as i said extremely random when it happens, unplugging the air flow sensor gives a similar feel to what the car was running like. Dad is gonna do a thorough clean of sensor/plugs etc so im really hoping that fixes it, this kind of issue is extremely anoying when im trying to sell it.

G

Unregistered
After going over what it done i really believe it has something to do with the fuel/air. Can legnums be hooked up to diagnostic machine and read errors from the past?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Derek, post in Victoria section to see if you any of the VIC members have evoscan that you can borrow.. that way you can find out what the error codes are..

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
what fuel are you using i had a huge issue with stalling when i first got mine and it was because of standard 91 octane fuel 95 and above and its all fine

G

Unregistered
I always use vpower or bp ultimate. But yeah as i've said it happens on a very irregular basis and stalling has only occured in past few weeks, stalled on me 3 times so far.

G

Unregistered
Since your cleaning, do the throttle body as well. Did you check the plugs yourself? Check all your plugs, reading plugs is a great diagnostic tool, post pics if your unsure. I've heard that bad plugs/leads will destroy coil packs pretty quickly so check them all before that sort of shit happens. When was the last time your fuel filter was changed?
I had a bad injector 'o' ring on one cylinder in my 4g63, it caused all sorts of hesitation issues between 2000 - 4000 RPM and nearly stalled but didn't. It also was a random problem, changed the 'o' ring and all was good.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I had a bad injector 'o' ring on one cylinder in my 4g63, it caused all sorts of hesitation issues between 2000 - 4000 RPM and nearly stalled but didn't. It also was a random problem, changed the 'o' ring and all was good.

that's something new to me.. my car's not stalling but at least thats another one to check.. might have to keep an eye/ear as well..

G

Unregistered
Ok I've done a quick diagnostic test using http://ozvr4.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61909&postcount=12 technique and I got the following error codes:
75 Engine ECU strains
77 TCL vacuum system or ventilation solenoid

Wondering whether the Traction Control is Faulty and cutting engine every now and then.

Reset battery drove it for over an hour and retested and says there are no faults yet, ill check in another weel.

G

Unregistered
Resetting the ECU has done it I think, runs perfect

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
almost 3 years later-However, thanks for the write up Absence. I have a similar problem=Check engine light on-Engine stalls when decelerating.

First thoughts are to clean Air Filter, due for a service (Overdue). Will also try steps you have taken including checking of fuel filter

Also displaying signs of needing a replacement clutch kit, oh and insurance is due haha. Always comes in groups of 3's. Any other advice ohh wise ones?

(Edited)

G

Unregistered
Have you seriously been only running 91 RON prior to now?

Top Bottom