Stand alone ECU upgrades for Legnum

instabink

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Adam
Drive
VR4 Legnum
Hey guys, want to upgrade the computer in my series 1 leggy and have heard that if I'm looking to make anything over 200awkw I'll need to look at a stand alone upgrade as opposed to piggy-back.

Does anyone have any info regarding which stand alone to go for and how much. I was looking at a microtech for about $1000 but open to other options.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Adam.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hey Adam, may I suggest you search first because this topic's been discussed alot times..

but to put simply, people have used the following,

Autronic SM4, Haltech E11, ViPec V44, Greddy E-Manage Blue/Ultimate, Microtech(Mante I think), and others

also there are Piggy-backs out there that made alot of power output and as well as better fuel economy..

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
7202 or 7203 ecu

you can thanks me later

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Go the new Haltech platinum series. Im installing the platinum sport 1000 into mine at the moment.

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Thats what I put in mine, the Platinum Sports 1000. Be interested to see your results Jet.

Its a shit of a job thou!

dsc00102f.jpg

dsc00079k.jpg

dsc00074lh.jpg

dsc00073ai.jpg

dsc00072ki.jpg

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
There is no way im doing mine myself especially that im running an auto trans. The boys over at CREATD MOTORSPORT are doing the job at the moment as well as installing a pair of garrett gt2854's.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
oh wow, cant wait to hear the results of this. be good if you could ask them what they had to do to make the garrets fit.

jposupra

Idling at the Lights
First Name
josh
Drive
looking for vr4
as well as installing a pair of garrett gt2854's.
ooo! sounds good! should make some good power with those as twins, keep everyone posted on how it drives with them!

the new haltechs are a good computer. nicely priced, good PC compatibility and good features. a mate recently installed one on his r31 skyline.

also if anybody is interested, it looks like vipec do a plug in board! although, you would probably wanna investigate this before you shell out the cash first since they are fairly new on the market.
seem to be a VERY good computer though!

http://www.vi-pec.com/page_files/pluginecu.htm

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
also if anybody is interested, it looks like vipec do a plug in board! although, you would probably wanna investigate this before you shell out the cash first since they are fairly new on the market.
seem to be a VERY good computer though!

http://www.vi-pec.com/page_files/pluginecu.htm

Yep, I have one in my car. It's a modified Evo4 board and works great. All it needed was an adapter to smooth out the tacho signal. Apart from that it has been great, no cold start issues or rough idle like you hear about some Haltechs.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Josh, LeeButts is already using the Vipec V44 in his car.. and from what he's told me and everyone.. it's a very good unit..

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Yep, I have one in my car. It's a modified Evo4 board and works great. All it needed was an adapter to smooth out the tacho signal. Apart from that it has been great, no cold start issues or rough idle like you hear about some Haltechs.

The new Haltech's don't have that issue that was with the older units. The Haltech platinum series use the same board as the Motec.

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
this sounds great :) keen to know the pricing

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Tomas I bought mine from a seller in the U.S. I got the Haltech platinum sport 1000 + long flying lead + water, air temp sensor shipped to me for $1550 AUS.

If I bought all that stuff here it would of cost me about $1950 AUS.

fathead

Crunching Gears
First Name
nick
Drive
legnum
Josh, LeeButts is already using the Vipec V44 in his car.. and from what he's told me and everyone.. it's a very good unit..

what about pricing? how much is this unit? any power gains, better fuel economy etc?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Fathead, look here

Generally we'd like to see an introduction as your first post !!!!!

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
Mante in the US has his running on the AEM ems for the 3000GT/GTO with a few pin swaps

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
For real tried and proven results I went with LINK G4 in my Leggy. I got over 200kw at the corners and you get a hell of a lot more options compared to whats been mentioned, but you pay for it ball park $2500. Depends what you palnning on doing, just a tune to maximise exhaust, intake, FMIC, then you would go haltech minicepter and save your money. If you planning on anything serious, turbos, injectors, big pumps, cams then its not worth getting basic or cheap as you will only have to do it again with a decent ECU.

Top Bottom