Strange Auto Behaviour

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Hey Guys,

I have been putting up with this since i owned my car but now it has gotten worse. I'll start from the first time i drove my car, 12 months ago.

When i first drove it, everytime it hit 3rd gear, the revs would jump up a bit and it would settle back down. The harder your foot was on the juice, the harder it would jump. I told the dealer at the time that i was suss on the gearbox and he basically shrugged it off. I bought this car with a warranty so didn't really mind so much. Anyway, after driving the car on the trip from QLD to VIC it settled down and behaved normal.

A few months after i did a ECU reset (battery off deal) and tryed to clear the gearbox settings. After i did this i behaved the same as when i got it. I thought no biggy it will settle down, and it did.

Recently the box has been behaving the same again, with no reset. Especially if i turn a corner and mash the pedal. Just now i had my foot flat and when i hit 3rd, the revs jump from 3 to 5, throw you back in the seat like nothing else in the legnum and then continue to the redline.
I have had a full 100k service done 3.5k ago but it was doing it a little before this. I thought maybe the gearbox fluid might be too thin or something, but it was serviced by Techsport (a reputable legnum and evo workshop)

Question.
Is my boxed farked?

I have checked fluids etc and they are good.

Cheers

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Scotty -
When you say revs go from 3-5, do you mean 3000rpm to 5000rpm of free revving? OR you mean 3-5k under load then the gears change? If you're getting 2000rpm of free revving thats not good.

I presume the workshop used at minimum genuine SPIII Diamond Queen ATF when they serviced your trans, as they are a mitsi shop they should have known this. My only suggestion is the clutch packs (i think thats the prob) are wearing. Not much you can do about it really, just a sign of the trans getting a little old and tired..

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
It is hard to explain. Because your foot is down, it is hard to tell if it jumps out of gear. But it must. There is no other way it can just climb and then jump from 3-5k. It isn't violent, but more a big surge of power. It only happens in 3rd tho and more when pushing out of a corner.

I figure the Auto is prob having issues, but the thing that throws me is how it behave the exact same when the ECU is reset (even without putting your foot down).

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Sounds like either a sus torque converter (but it would do it in all gears), a dodgy clutch pack, or incorrect signals being sent to the valve body causing not enough pressure in one of the clutch packs, meaning you'll get shift lag....

Get the error codes out of the Gearbox ECU and see what they say (or get someone else to do it lol :p)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What oil did they put in at your recent service, and how much did they use? Is the oil level correct?

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I'd say that they let Stevie Wonder do the trans service or less funnier they didn't do it at all... What you're describing is what happens to my trans if I don't change the fluid for a while.
Remember that these boxes are very temperamental if they don't get their bottle...

Go to a different place and have the fluid changed, see what colour it is and then you'll know if your dealer is being a bit of a shonk...

Oh make sure you use SPIII as well...

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I'd say that they let Stevie Wonder do the trans service or less funnier they didn't do it at all... What you're describing is what happens to my trans if I don't change the fluid for a while.
Remember that these boxes are very temperamental if they don't get their bottle...

Go to a different place and have the fluid changed, see what colour it is and then you'll know if your dealer is being a bit of a shonk...

Oh make sure you use SPIII as well...

Stevie wonder lol....

What you say is correct. Laggy gear shifts are caused by overheating and old or incorrect oil, but its odd that it is only happening in third which is what originally steered me away from this idea.

But definately get it serviced somewhere else, and get the fault codes. At least that way you will be SURE that it is setup for correct operation and you might get a fault code that'll give you the answer. If that doesn't fix it then you know something will be broken :(

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Scott, dude just bring your car over to my place mate and we can do a fluid change in no time.

No point paying some bloke to do these sorta jobs man!

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Torque converter. Especially you mentioned when you turn corners. Known symptom.
Your car isn't leaking any ATF btw, is it? Have you checked?
How does it reverse up a hill? Is it missing and reving out when you try reverse it up a slight slope?

Top Bottom