Strengthening the diff, any options, possibilities, recommendations?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Yeah if i can find out for sure you can put an lsd in a type v diff id be willing to do that. I'd have to source one first though.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Did you not read my post?

While my rear diff casing is not technically from a type V, (its from a diamante, but it is the same part number) it is running in my car with an evo 9 LSD differential in it.

Diff casing $70
Rear shafts $80
Practically brand new Evo9 plate LSD $500

The thing to keep in mind is that if you don't back your mechanical skills (especially setting the diff preloads, backlash and gear contact pattern) then you will also have to pay someone the labour of setting it up for you.

Yeah if i can find out for sure you can put an lsd in a type v diff id be willing to do that. I'd have to source one first though.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Sorry i completely missed your post somehow Kenneth. What you've done is what i'd like to do but i dont have the knowledge to set up the diff myself so would probably end up costing me twice that amount if not more. Will still look into it if i cannot get my AYC to function as that would give you strength and cornering ability,

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
THREAD MINE:
I have heard that EVO RS had a helical front diff, can anyone confirm that some of the GSR evo 5s did too?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
All of the evo 4-9 RS models had helical front LSD's only the 4-6 ones fit into our transfer cases.
All evo 4 GSR's had open front diffs
Evo 5's were 50/50 open/lsd or there abouts
Most evo 6's had the LSD but not all.

The problem with the 4-6 helical LSDs is they are weak. They are inly held together by 4 countersunk cap screws and in operation the gears inside the diff "fight eachother" to bias the torqure to the wheel with the most traction. This causes extreme load on these 4 small bolts and they snap. This is mainly a grip thing not a horsepower thing thay breaks them and a heavier VR4 with sticky tyres is more likely to break one than an lighter evo.

If you do get one strip it down before it goes in the car and replace the cap screws with 12.9 grade ones and loctite them in place. I think I torqued them to 30ftlb or something similar (there will be a chart on the net somewhere with a torque for 8mm 12.9grade)
This doesnt make them bomb proofbut it does help them out. The photos attached is of a diff thay snapped the 12.9 grade cap screws but in saying that it did it at a track day on slicks. The same diff was in my car for a year or so previously and I never broke it with street tyres.

tmp_24006-20160301_171211-179174834.jpg
tmp_24006-20160301_172019-649661710.jpg
tmp_24006-20160301_1803462004206419.jpg

Top Bottom