Swapping parts from legnum to galant. advice / help?

NSNO_RJB

No Idea what i'm doing
Premium Member
First Name
Ronan
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
hey guys, so i got into a head on with a cliff in my galant, tire debeaded and sent me sideways and head first at 60km,

thankfully its just crash bar, intercooler radiator etc damage, nothing chassis and since i have 3rd party i looked to repair
picked up this SWEET legnum for 2.5k, has everything i need plus more that i want to swap in

question i have are

My galant has no AYC, the legnum has an evo diff with ayc that im interested in swapping. how do i go about this? im real grey on this as prev. owner said it never came with ayc, but i have ayc dash, fuses and the little ayc box in the top right of the engine bay

swapping out pretty much everything steering wise.
- my galant creaked sooo much whenever you turned. not like power steering creak but like need 50 cans of wd creak. so i was going to take this opportunity to swap out everything from this legnum as it only just hit 100,000kms compared to my 140,000. what parts should i prioritise in the swap?

both cars have some aggresive camber in the rear, havnt had a proper look but is there a camber adjustment or is it dependent on what coilovers are in the car?

fog lights - since the wreck and the legnum doesnt have any. im in need of fog lights, but im tempted to try and get some real small spotlights (LED) and make my own kinda fog light. anyone done similar?

any other advice for the swap is appreciated. cheers!

VR45UM

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
A previous owner may have swapped out the ayc system for an open diff to fit an Evo diff center. To confirm if it is or isn't you will have to have a look at your rear diff. If it has external fluid hoses to it than its an ayc.

Depends on where the creak is coming from. Personally i would leave the steering rack alone if it isn't the source of the noise. If it sounds close to the top of the dash it might be worn out top mounts or if lower it could be control arms.

Rear camber is dictated by the height of the rear suspension, and is only adjustable if you shim your upper control arms

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
I think I know the Legnum you brought for $2.5K.

But before everything, you wrote :
"My galant creaked so much whenever you turn"
And if I'm thinking that your front straight control arms are stuff, then DONT DRIVE IT!
and buy genuine ones straight away and no aftermarket crap and personally don't put the Legnum ones in the galant.
Do you have a video of the sound ?

This is a common problem and can really damage/kill your car, you and others, it's not something you want to cheap out on.

Read this:
https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/this-...ce-your-control-arms-or-go-aftermarket.10806/

And personally with AYC I prefer the non-ayc, (so yours would be a TYPE-V Galant) and since you said you have a cluster with ayc, then most likely they changed the cluster and then most likely it's not the correct kms, so the kms on actual car could be higher than what the cluster says, I know it's not what you wanna hear but trying to be honest to you.

NSNO_RJB

No Idea what i'm doing
Premium Member
First Name
Ronan
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
yeh that video is the exact sound

unfortunately the budget doesnt really stretch for buying genuine just yet since the car has to be out of the storage area by new year so legnum ones will be temporary solution until then i guess

and yeh i figured with the kms tbh. but i have documents from previous owner that all have the right kms on it from when it was written off, rebirthed and then sold to me so im not too concerned compared to if i was just told verbally and thats it haha

i might do some research on the SAYC, im not speed racer on the road but i like the occasional mountain run so will have to see what would suit me better. the thing in the back of my mind is that i dont want to drive depending on the AYC then one day the pump gives out and here i am again buying a parts car haha.

Top Bottom