The plan: Car PC++++++ (on a budget)

Pants

Crunching Gears
First Name
Robert
Drive
1999 Legnum & 2004 GSX-R750
I've been working on mine this week. Changed tack and I'm planning on making it up with bog, then making a fibreglass mold of it. As suggested by other folk bog is not structural :( I'll throw up some photos when I get home. Any melb guys worked with fiberglass before?

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
I did mail a template to Minik.. I don't have one now though...

I shaded / traced the gap through a big sheet of a3, cut it out and played with it until it was pretty close to the shape... I then did the same thing with cardboard because it was obviously stiffer and made a better template...

I then put that cardboard shape onto MDF, which I spent a fair bit of time sanding down so it fit just right. Then I cut out the hole for the screen (and routed the inner edge) after the mdf was pretty much totally shaped to what I wanted.

Ah ok, damn it... that's what I'm trying to do... but I am teh suck... I can't even cut straight with the jigsaw :)

JiMi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie Kendrick
Drive
98 leggy, 90 gvr4, holden rodeo
I've been working on mine this week. Changed tack and I'm planning on making it up with bog, then making a fibreglass mold of it. As suggested by other folk bog is not structural :( I'll throw up some photos when I get home. Any melb guys worked with fiberglass before?
i havnt but my cousin has heaps... can prolly get some pointers if you need :)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Ah ok, damn it... that's what I'm trying to do... but I am teh suck... I can't even cut straight with the jigsaw :)

Mate maybe a template wouldn't even help anyhow. Sounds like you need a pre-made facia... or you need to find a mate who is more natually gifted in the area perhaps. Sorry, it was a lot of work when I did it and alot of trial and error. It's not something which was easy or really worth taking on if it's the first of it's type you have attempted...

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
Ive done a fair bit of fibreglassing, its great stuff. I did a full mold of the wheel well in my legnum as a sub box which works great, fibreglass is way stronger than the plastic in our centre console, so by using it you cant go wrong

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Mate maybe a template wouldn't even help anyhow. Sounds like you need a pre-made facia... or you need to find a mate who is more natually gifted in the area perhaps. Sorry, it was a lot of work when I did it and alot of trial and error. It's not something which was easy or really worth taking on if it's the first of it's type you have attempted...

It's all good, I've got a workable one now. I'm not completely useless, I was just getting frustrated and hoping to ease the process along as your design is pretty close to what I'm doing. :D Also, a pre-made wouldn't work for me as I'm using a 10.4" screen combined with an IR touchpanel which is about 11". It fits, after some decent modification to the insides of the centre console :)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Yeah I had to do some decent gutting to my center consoles interior also..

Glad it's working out. I know how frusrating it can be.

Top Bottom