The other carpc plan, still on a budget.......

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Well I got inspired by reading Hugh's (matchtheclown) thread about a car pc project. Ever since I have been tinkering with ideas in my mind about how to go about it. Here is what I have so far decided to do.

I had an old pc at home a couple of pc cases, decided to cut the case down as much as I could.

Still too big to fit in a concealed place but for the time being it will go against the back of the back seat, might make a subwoofer box later and include a space for the pc in that.

Power was the next thought so I borrowed an inverter off a friend and tried that but no luck the 140W figure it had on it wasn't enough to run the pc so I ditched that idea. I then sourced a DC-DC converter from Jaycar $99.00 and tried this and that worked with no problems at this stage.

Input and display will be handled by a 10.4" Lcd Touchscreen the exact same as Hugh's, this was done for a couple of reasons firstly it was fairly cheap $334 delivered from Hong Kong and secondly I knew it would fit as Hugh had already done it.

I am thinking of just running a USB hub at the front of the car to plug touchscreen into and then can use this same hub for Bluetooth and wireless as needed.

I have a bluetooth GPS reciever that I will use for navigation.

I will also use usb as the main way of putting new data onto the hard drive.

I will also be using a video card with dual outputs as I plan to run headrest lcd screens and the plan is to have movies on them for the kids and the main screen at the front running other things.

So far the project has cost me $99 for power converter and $334 for LCD screen, I already had the 7" headrest lcd's and the pc is an old one that has been resurected.

The A/C controls have been moved down to the sunglass pocket place and that is as far as I got last night with the project, the screen only got here yesterday.

I will try to post some pics soon.

I started a new post as Hugh and I decided it might be beneficial to post them seperately as a bit of a race to see who is running first and also to give a couple of approaches the the same project idea.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Nigel and I have wiled away many a day at work via msn discussing idea's / plans. My PSU is lost in transit somewhere from China so it could be a close race :|

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
After seeing Hugh's car pc set up, i really want one now. Especially the size of the screen, and the fascia he made up. Looks very factory standard and really fits in nicely.
Good luck with your projects.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I met John Oxer last week who's involved in http://www.geekmyride.org and has a carPC in his RX-8 (as well as an RFID chip in his arm, but that's another story...)

You guys should in touch and get your cars on there as he know HEAPS about hooking into OBD style interfaces and pulling lots of cool info out.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
Well here it is nothing very exciting but this is I believe the first post from the drivers seat of a LEGNUM. Will post a video later, probably tomorrow.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Do it Nigel I want pics!

I got an email from the seller of my PSU saying they will mail another. AWESOME!

I'm looking forward to another 2 weeks of nothing.

Where you driving at the time or in your garage :p

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
Well here is a link to a youtube video, it is not very interesting and sorry for the shaky camera work. I think it will at least show you guys that it is possible and I am running. No sound yet I will be hooking amplifier up tonight.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AoCXATIHqhE

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
I think I will still leave the forum browsing and posting to the laptop for the time being. I will post a pic with the carpc front end (software for car) centrafuse in action later once I get my amp wired up. No sound at the moment. Tonight hopefully.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
I got my sound working but only through front speakers at this stage the 3.5mm to rca adaptors won't fit side by side. I was playing in the car too long and ran the battery flat! I have centrafuse running with music etc. Still have a bit of tuning and setting up to do, I must say though it is rather weird hearing windows load and shut down music in a car. Pics and better video soon.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
Here are some pics so people can see how I ended up mounting the screen. Also a pic of the pc, not much to look at but I hope to hide it away somehow someday.

100_4796.jpg

100_4798.jpg

100_4800.jpg

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
Well now have front and rear speakers running. All is sweet just have to get more music onto my hard drive and then start ripping some dvds so that I have a need to put the kids screens in. Also need to get a dual output video card. Video posting soon.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
Yeah it beats cutting your hands on the edges.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
Hey here is a video of me using the Centrafuse software. It has more functions but disabled the ones I didn't need.

[URL="
100_4801.jpg

Just for reference the switch I use is the power switch for the pc that I haven't mounted yet. When I use it the pc starts up or hibernates when on.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
Well a little update for everyone, I got a bluetooth dongle in the post today and now have the navigation working. Haven't got phone control for hands free working yet. Also mounted the on/off switch on the side of my turbo timer under dash near left leg drivers position. Slowly getting it all working. Also worked out how to play divx files so will use that for movies for kids later when the headrest screens go in.

Top Bottom