The plan: Car PC++++++ (on a budget)

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
WOW! Looking incredible.
Hopefully it's easy to dim during night driving..

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Sydo - The front end we are using (me and minik) called centrafuse has a place you press and it goes through 5 levels of dimming so yeah it wont be a problem.

Also some more pics as Nigel (minik) requested.

bloop001-1.jpg

bloop002-1.jpg

photo.jpg

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I have scanned a traced template from my center console.

It's an A3 pdf which hopefully will mean it can be printed the right size. I have put in dimensions so this can be checked.

Obviously it would be wise to transfer the template onto cardboard first to test it and make any adjustments you need.

As it is it fits flush and tight in the console.

This is upon Nigel (minik's) request also.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/24nyux

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
The car pc looks really good Hugh. Big fan of the install. It looks very OEM, especially with the leather.
I reckon cover the rest of the carbon fibre fascia in the leather you used and it will be 100% factory looking :D :D

The whole setup totally upgrades your interior as well hehe

All you need now is wireless internet and you can browse OZVR4 in the traffic

Btw Hugh, how much have you spent so far?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Good question Dimi... :|

I have got fairly ebay screwed so far.

The original mobo I bought was faulty... so hopefully I will get a full refund I am still waiting for resolution on the sale.

The PSU I bought to go with that mobo is mini ITX not ATX which the new mobo I bought is.. so I have a $60 PSU sitting around not being used.

It also seems the correct PSU I have ordered has got lost enroute from china... :/

Apart from that though:
Screen $270
mobo $150
1GB Ram > zigged from work
160GB 2.5" hdd I had lying around.
IF the PSU from china arrives DC - DC 150W smart ATX PSU $90
USB GPS $40
USB bluetooth 2.0 - already have.
MDF $30
Leather free off cut from an upholstery place
Spray on glue $8 lol
staple gun I had

So total for the parts which I actually needed has been:
$588

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I can't wait for the first "posting-while-driving... er... stopped-at-the-lights" on the forum...

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
wow... i can't wait either. hmm.. potential use for the system in my imagination..

1. online chatting - if the chick is hot, go to her house and say "look at the win dow.."
2. stick a camera at many angles and record your own driving video as a black box. (need t turn it off when driving hard)
3. play the driving pc game and see if you can break the record for real
4. if the pc gets frozen or causes error, just close all the windows and open them up again
5. pay the fines as you get them by internet banking on the spot and print a reciept to the cops

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I got sick of waiting for the PSU so I moved on with something else I was planning to do.

PS2 is installed. I have a PS3 so it hasn't been seeing much action.
Running it off a 150W invertor I had lying around. The inverter always switches to protect if it is 'on' when the car is turned on... anyone know why? I have ti switch it on after I get the car going? It could be the voltage drop / spike with engine cranking? I was thinking of putting a CAP on the line to see if that stopped it from happeneing.

Anyhow, cables are run. I just need to figure out how i'm going to run audio.. as it is I think I need to run in as line in to the PC so I can control the audio level... which means I am thwarted by lack of PSU again :/

Anyhow. Pics.

bloop001-2.jpg

bloop002-2.jpg

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Rofl yeah, damn those lame albums that throw mini tracks in between for laughs.

The gain problem is the opposite to that, it's like the PC over drives, not under drives.

I set the amp levels with the PC at 75%, but how it is, there is a huge sound increase between 1 bar of sound and 2.... which should only be very small.

Anyhow, more to play with there. It works, Nav works. I'll try BT for the phone hands free next, and I need to plug the PS2 in!

Shall keep you posted.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
wow... i can't wait either. hmm.. potential use for the system in my imagination..

1. online chatting - if the chick is hot, go to her house and say "look at the win dow.."
2. stick a camera at many angles and record your own driving video as a black box. (need t turn it off when driving hard)
3. play the driving pc game and see if you can break the record for real
4. if the pc gets frozen or causes error, just close all the windows and open them up again
5. pay the fines as you get them by internet banking on the spot and print a reciept to the cops

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA wtf!! LOL
PC gets frozen just close all the windows and open them up again HAHAHA

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Rofl yeah, damn those lame albums that throw mini tracks in between for laughs.

The gain problem is the opposite to that, it's like the PC over drives, not under drives.

I set the amp levels with the PC at 75%, but how it is, there is a huge sound increase between 1 bar of sound and 2.... which should only be very small.

Anyhow, more to play with there. It works, Nav works. I'll try BT for the phone hands free next, and I need to plug the PS2 in!

Shall keep you posted.

Great stuff Hugh can't wait to see this in the flesh at the next meet !

Bring a couple of controllers next time for some multi gamer action :bigsmile:

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
More piccies. Obviously if I crash and the airbag goes I might have to get some new components.. and maybe remove some fro mthe face of my passenger? LOL nah it should be right. I imagine it might break the PC but it wont blow it out the front.

lol001.jpg

lol002.jpg

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Hey, just spoke to my it guru friend as i had an idea, get one of those eeePC laptops used for 300 and disconect the sreen form main unit and extend the cable.
Buy a touch kit for it 150 bucks and here you go you have a proper laptop with a separate sreen, whooohoo.

As i looked around and i dont think that i could match Brads Pricing on the coponents any longer.

PS AWESOME WORK I LOVE IT

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Hey,

What're you using for the nav software?

-Dave-

Centrafuse uses destinator kind of built into it.... and I just downloaded the latest Destinator maps and put them into the centrafuse directory.

Works a treat.

Swift - Yeah that isn't a bad idea either. The eeepc is a 9" screen though isn't it?

Top Bottom