The plan: Car PC++++++ (on a budget)

jimslick

Crunching Gears
First Name
jim
Drive
99 vr4
thats sex on a stick matchy.. hey why don't you just run an extension lead out to your car then just use your home PC to see what it looks like...(get some pics to). i can't believe how well that screen fits..

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
It's coming along the screen already mounts. I am waiting for some parts so it's saving me rushing it just to have it working... Good news is i'm pretty much finished with the MDF now. All I need to do is leather it and mount the parts.

I'm thinking of putting my PS2 in as well Guitar hero road trip anyone?

G

Unregistered

Attachments

• B1003721461.jpg
    B1003721461.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 109
  • B1003721420.jpg
    B1003721420.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 108

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Lilliput stuff is considered quite good. A lot of people seem to use it on carmp3.com

However i'm building on price. I don't imagine either of those units would be less than $600.

G

Unregistered
Lilliput stuff is considered quite good. A lot of people seem to use it on carmp3.com

However i'm building on price. I don't imagine either of those units would be less than $600.

Yeah theres no price on the site.....i bet5 its pricey! but considering most people do spend upwards of $600 on head units usually, if its that or more its fare enough, but yeah budget is the way to go!! looks good anyway, cant wait to see it working!

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I need ideas on where to find buttons!

I have the circuit board for the screen controls but I need some kind of buttons to put into the MDF to work the controls. The buttons on the circuit board are mini spring ones.

Something perfect would be round, so I can mount them with just a drill hole. then the circuit board buttons would hold them in from the back... any ideas?

Cheers nigel > No Buttons! I'll just mount the IR led somewhere tricky / invisible... and have the front clean.

jimslick

Crunching Gears
First Name
jim
Drive
99 vr4
i saw a guy that used an old aircon button to turn the monitor/computer on, pretty stealth/

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Screen seems to power on with the car anyhow and if it doesn't have input it auto powers off so that's pretty easy.

carpc.jpg

Plugged in the PS2 to show it in action (I'm also going to install this in the car :p Guitar hero road trip FTW). Still need to leather it and hopefully the replacement motherboard will arrive tomorrow so I can put the car PC in.

Might get a chance to work on it sunday... friday night is already booked out with a haircut, tattoo and lots of drinking. Good times :)

There is a little S of about 6 bad pixels near the center of the screen which is a shame... i'll have to wait and see how many more turn up with initial use. It has 12 months warranty.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
That's awesome Hugh! When it's all done would you mind listing everything with prices etc? I'd very much like to follow the same path (copycat here lol)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Yah I wil do paul. Minik is keen as well.

What i'm going to do for him is trace a stencil of the piece I have made as it took ages to get it to fit.

So that will save you time. Most of the parts are already listed about but I'll make it into a how to type thing once I'm done.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Man that is just too cool haha

Gooch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bob
Drive
J-Spec Vr-4 1990, 2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S
sensational

keep up the good work. great stuff.

keep us in the loop.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
There is a little S of about 6 bad pixels near the center of the screen which is a shame... i'll have to wait and see how many more turn up with initial use. It has 12 months warranty.
This is a good reason why you test your parts fairly extensively BEFORE you go dismantling anything - most LCD manufacturers have a zero-dead-pixel policy now, but they won't honour it if there's any evidence of tampering / dismantling. In no way a knock, just a FYI :)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Yeah fair enough man. I'd take them on as coming from some professional install place and I do it all the time.

It would be very reasonable. Anyhow, that is just something more fun for the future.

I'm rather enjoying the challenges as they come right now. Planning would have made this whole process more efficient, but it wouldn't have been half as exciting!

Update: Got a leather off cut fro man uphoster today so I next step is finishing it.

The PC is running windows now so that's rolling along too. Once I over come PSU issues (wrong one haha). Having no time and the partridge in a pear tree it will be houses!

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Covered. Just waiting on the PSU now. Amp relocated under passenger seat, mobo installed in glove box.

For now I can plug my ipod straight into the amp so at least I have tunes.

Pretty happy with the leather attempt. Not bad for my first time!

carpc001-1.jpg

Mrk_VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1998 VR-4 Legnum
Looks good hugh, the leather turned out great, especially for a first time attempt.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
oh. nice work~ good to see that it is getting there..very very nice.. me so jealous right now~ would you consider installing nintendo Wii?? it is wireless so might be neater over all (just my thoughts)

Top Bottom