Thoughts on new Stereo for my Leggy

BigH

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Harley
Drive
Was an EVO 8
I'm thinking about putting in a double din unit. Best value i can find is the JVC KW-AVX810.
Won't be running a sub this time just speakers.
Looking for splits that have a full/Bassy sound. Will be running a 4 channel amp.

Any thoughts?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i've got the kw-avx800.. some of the qld members saw it in my car.. i think they liked it.. (but you gotta ask them)

also that, at the time i bought it it was only $500 but now they jumped back up to $850 i think..

pro's on the 810 is.. it's multi region.. and better buttons (if that makes sense - touchscreen and buttons)

con's on the 810 is.. it doesn't have the dual zone output unlike other brands like eclipse and alpine..

definitely suggest you run decent amp on them.. and you'll even be more satisfied..

BigH

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Harley
Drive
Was an EVO 8
what splits are you running? I'm not running a sub this time, I want splits with full sound.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
A few of the guys can vouch for the Type X Alpines..... Thats what i run and they were fine without a sub but not good for the speakers. Splits are designed (generally speaking) for about 70Hz up, you wouldn't have good speakers and ruin the system by not having a sub! Even a little sealed 10" just to fill the bass hole :)

I don't know anything about screens, i find it hard to watch them while i'm trying to drive

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
i recomment having a small sub at least. sound much better. does JVC KW-AVX810 have gps capability?

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
What's your budget for the splits and what are you hoping to achieve with them? I.e. sound quality and clarity or as loud as possible?

I've personally used some high end splits, including Boston Acoustic Pro Series and the Dynaudio GT series.

Both of these were superb splits for sound quality. The Dynaudios in particular were incredibly detailed and were wonderfully musical without any fatigue, even at very loud levels. I had CDs that I listened to hundreds of times on the home stereo and when I played the same CD on the car stereo, I was listening to clarity and sounds that I had never heard before!

The Dynaudio System 240GT uses a 7 inch woofer, which will play at lower frequencies than your normal 6.5 or 6 inch woofer. You might need to make an MDF mounting plate though, depending on the space you have in your car door. Some reviews are here:

http://www.testfreaks.com/car-speakers/dynaudio-system-220-240/user-reviews/

The Pro's used a metal tweeter so the treble was a little sharp for my liking but clarity and ability to play at high volumes were its strengths. Have a look at the range here:

http://mobile.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14

For either of these speakers, I would recommend a power level of at least 75 watts RMS so check whether your amp is up to the job (I was running 200 watts RMS per speaker and they came alive!).

Irrespective of what splits you choose, I would highly recommend that sound deaden your doors. It makes a huge difference to the sound quality and you don't need to crank the speakers as hard for the same volume.

You mention that you have a 4 channel amp but will not be running a sub. How are you going to configure your amp? Will you bridge the channels to run the splits? Or will you use 2 channels for the splits and the other 2 channels for the rear speakers? I recommend powering the rear speakers off the head unit because rear fill does not require big power for the purposes. Ideally, I would bridge the amp; power the splits of 2 channels and then power a sub with the bridged channel. I know you said you don't want a sub but it makes a massive difference to the bass and sound spectrum. If space is an issue, there are lots of highly efficient subs that operate in small enclosures. The other option is to go with a free air sub.

BigH

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Harley
Drive
Was an EVO 8
I will have to wait for my mate to come back from holidays. He does the installs at jb hifi. He done the last one in my evo8. He done exactly what you said rear speakers of the head unit and bridged the amp. I ran JL audio speakers, sub and amp and a pioneer head unit. It was a very loud system but seem to be missing some mid range.
I just want to run a double din unit this time to cover the gap, looks be imo.

BigH

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Harley
Drive
Was an EVO 8
Got the stereo done. I ended up going for the JVC810. I got kicker all round. ks602 splits in the front and ks600 two ways in the back. I also got a kicker 12" sub, not sure on the model, its the slim version. The front and sub are running of a kicker zx350.4 amp.
Wll post pics soon.

Top Bottom