Tips for filling up your car.

G

Unregistered
1)
Only buy or fill up your car in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands,so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

2)
When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

3)
One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

Taken from another source.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Interesting read Stephen :)

it may be something we have to do as the stuff runs out. Fusion reactor mod anyone :D

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
sounds like it would be about right but i seriously couldn't be bothered unless i was living in a car n earning about $20 a week, lol

don't let the petrol stations get wind of this, they might close during winter

G

Unregistered
So how long does it take to fill up on slow?
Filling up in the morning mmmm might try that one.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
haha thanks christian, very true. I read this out loud i was so excited. I love ways to get more out of my dollar petrol wise. By the way, half a tank mark and i have done about 175... So far no good. Looks like its going to be another 300km tank ... This may have something to do with me purposely driving to make my blow off sound though.... Perhaps next tank should be the one i try watching?

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
hahaha i know the feeling. Recently discovered mine has a sard blow off valve and ever since having been dicking about in tiptronic to make the sound...wuuuuuuuuuuumptisssssssssssssssssss :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Great info there Steve, thanks for that :) Can I ask where you found that info?

I've always thought you'd get a lot of petrol evaporation during hot summer days, but always assumed it couldn't be substantial or we'd know about it... Hmm gives me an idea for some tests...

Just quickly on the subject of when to fill, you're much better off filling up when petrol prices are low, don't wait until your tank gets empty. For us Perthians its fairly easy to work out when that is thanks to fuelwatch.com.au, but I expect that should give you Easterners a good idea what petrol prices are doing across the country too. For us every second Monday is the day to buy fuel - might save you up to 20ish cents per litre.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
in Adelaide the cheap fuel is every tuesday, and wednesday morning up until about 12pm. It appears to be a few cents cheaper in the north east then in the western suburbs.

God bless tight ass tuesday.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Hehe here in Mexico, a recent government investigation found around 98% of petrol stations werent actually giving you a litre of petrol when the pump said it was. Some stations were only giving 600 ml/litre!! A majority were between 900 - 950 ml, cheeky bastards! Servo owners who do that now go to jail....

But good tips Stephen, ill definately consider the fill up in the morning one - dont know about the pump slowly though, im too impatient :p

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Hehe here in Mexico, a recent government investigation found around 98% of petrol stations werent actually giving you a litre of petrol when the pump said it was. Some stations were only giving 600 ml/litre!! A majority were between 900 - 950 ml, cheeky bastards! Servo owners who do that now go to jail....

But good tips Stephen, ill definately consider the fill up in the morning one - dont know about the pump slowly though, im too impatient :p

Those nasty sneeky sneeky amigos!

Sensational read Stephen as I am flat out passing gas seeing our budget is so toit!:)

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Any idea how much is lost by having your tank low? Just that if you keep your tank near 100% you are carrying alot more weight and comsumption goes up therefore may offset the lost from evaporation.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Good point.

Also go on a weight watchers diet... no wait, they cost more than buying normal food. Just run around the block!:)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I said that to a friend of mine who was about 15kg or so overweight when he removed his aircon to save weight.

His response was, well what if I lose the aircon *and* the weight, wouldn't that be awesome :D

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I said that to a friend of mine who was about 15kg or so overweight when he removed his aircon to save weight.

His response was, well what if I lose the aircon *and* the weight, wouldn't that be awesome :D

Losing his aircon could be beneficial to his own weight problem; he'll be able to sweat it off!!:ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom