top speed

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
300km/h on standard brakes.... I'll pass on that express ride to death... :p

Hmm.. *adds Brembos to the equation* what now? :p

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Lol, it's so funny... what you worry about, Jeez!!!

As you know, Germany - Autobahn = no speed limit over hundrets of kilometers! And you may know I had a Galant before over there and I can tell you a VR-4 is doing more then 240km/h!

From my place to Zürich(Switzerland) roughly 550km, tooks me 3h 25min! From my place to Munich its roughly 400km, took me 2h15min and I tell you don't worry about your stock brakes, they are fine!!! Never had any probs with them from 250km/h (was my top speed, because of the German speed limiter) down to 100 or 80km/h!

If you do your driving school in Germany, one part to pass it is doing over 180km/h for a few kilometers on the Autobahn, to get the feeling or whatever... but in my opinion thats one of the reasons why we have less accidents on Autobahns then we have over here... people learn to drive fast and more important in my point of view, you get a better feeling how fast the other cars are!

And yes the road conditions and the fact that you sometimes drive 10 or more km just straight is an accident cause... (I did Laverton - Perth a couple of times and get tired in between, but caused by doing 100km/h, it's boring! You do 220km/h and trust me, your body produces so much adrenalin, you won't get tired! Longest track I did was from my place to Florence in Italy, in one hit 1200km in less then 9h!) but there are so many accidents in the city, where I always think "WTFH how did he made that?!?"

I would change a few things on the road here... vote me for president, haha

Sorry for zone out guys =)

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
If you do your driving school in Germany, one part to pass it is doing over 180km/h for a few kilometers on the Autobahnn
Count me in for this ;)

You have my vote! :p

Then again, most people over here can't negotiate a left hand turn or even drive @ 100 down the highway without randomly changing lanes or nearly running up the back of someone else, how would they be at 200+

*cringes at the thought*

Tom; If you are offering to give me some Brembos then I'm keen to give it a go :p

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
No brembos for you mate :) Stock discs and stock pads will do too!

Yeah the thing with randomly changing lanes... It's traceable for me that if limit is 100km/h you don't need overtaking regulations. (if you do 150km/h on a free Autobahn, 3lanes, you drive left (don't forget we drive the other way) you'll get a flashing within the first minute your are there! hehe, a workmate of mine told me how scared he was when he did 180 and he got flashed by BMW doing >220... everybody was overtaking him!

But what I would do, in my opinion the most important safety thing, ban the trucks from right lanes unless overtaking and reduce there speed limit to 80km/h. It's such a big difference if you do 80 or 110km/h in a truck...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
A stock VR-4 will get to around 245kmh regardless of the gearbox. A few tweaks will see you to about 270-280

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Then again, most people over here can't negotiate a left hand turn or even drive @ 100 down the highway without randomly changing lanes or nearly running up the back of someone else, how would they be at 200+

*cringes at the thought*

Tom; If you are offering to give me some Brembos then I'm keen to give it a go :p

Totally agree most drives over here and NZ are useless, staying in the right lane doing 85kmh holding people up, the law is to keep left what needs to happen is that the police need to enforce it, that will help stop impatient people from taking stupid mistakes to pass them and causing some accidents. I loved driving in Europe everyone keeps to their lane unless they passing then they pull straight back over, brilliant

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
I shudder to think how much fuel you'd use on the Autobahn...

Less then in the city traffic here! Ok, if you go over 200 for a long distance you probably hae more then 15l per 100km, but if you keep going 130-150km/h doesn't make much difference to our speed limits here

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I shudder to think how much fuel you'd use on the Autobahn...

I had a Mercedes Benz E270 2.7L Turbo Diesel & I drove that from Stuttgart past Munich & approaching Austria, then turned around (as we were lost) & drove to Fussen. Then the next day back to Stuttgart all on one tank of diesel.

That would have been a good 1000+ kms.. cruising most of the time at 150km/h with frequent 200km/h+ spurts.

Mind you, a Legnum running 98 Oct petrol is going to use a damn sight more fuel...

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive

You'd never be able to have Germany's speed limits here.

Their roads are sooo much better than ours.

I would shudder to think of someone trying to do 200km/h+ on our pathetic 3rd world standard roads.

BTW, there were tons of stretches in Deutschland where it was a 130km/h limit. We were aching to reach the unlimited parts !!

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Totally agree most drives over here and NZ are useless, staying in the right lane doing 85kmh holding people up, the law is to keep left what needs to happen is that the police need to enforce it, that will help stop impatient people from taking stupid mistakes to pass them and causing some accidents. I loved driving in Europe everyone keeps to their lane unless they passing then they pull straight back over, brilliant

People doing 50 in 70 zones I reckon will cause more accidents than people doing a little over the limit..

If you're travelling with traffic at the speed limit, then the car in front of you changes lanes because the person in front of them is doing 10-20 UNDER the limit, you're not expecting that car to be there, and will need to react.. Now, if you react just fine because you have given yourself enough gap, someone else around you (doing the limit, or just less) may not react the same, and they may have an accident.. All because someone is inept at doing the speed limit..

Same goes anywhere with any speed limit and people travelling significantly below it..

Sure, on a multi-lane highway, if, for whatever reason you dont want to or cant do the limit, you sit right over in the left where other people can pass you.. But what I mean is in and outer city areas, on main roads, etc. You get what I mean.

Anyway, my car has a limiter set to 190kmh, goes just off the dial then the speed cut kicks in and knocks down to 170/180!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Not surprisingly, i will be using the 2 LEFT hand lanes on the F3 to Sydney this w/e....

Why?

Because they are the 2 fastest lanes to NEGOTIATE on the freeway

Last time i came down we played cat and mouse with an AMG Merc and an XR5 Focus through traffic. We barely left the 2 left lanes in 3 and 4 lane carriageway as the right lanes were too congested and travelling far slower than we were

Statistic actually show that higher speed limits lead to lower road tolls.... Alertness is maintained when travelling at a speed you deem appropriate

But i have to agree with Brad (As i travel this side of Oz a lot too) that our roads just aren't up to the challenge

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive

I would shudder to think of someone trying to do 200km/h+ on our pathetic 3rd world standard roads.

BTW, there were tons of stretches in Deutschland where it was a 130km/h limit. We were aching to reach the unlimited parts !!

True, the roads over here are crap... I remember my first time on site where we did approx. 100m roadworks, f*** 15mm bitumen on top of red dust and that's it! Nearly all new Autobahns in Germany were made of concrete, I think at least 250mm thick and well prepared ground underneath!

Concrete made freeways would be perfect for here too! =)

Put that on my to do list once I'm the president! hehe

If you look for free Autobahns, the route between Stuttgart - Munich is probably one of the worst parts in Germany :D Biggest Autobahns without speed limit are A4 and A9... did you know that Autobahns were a famous japanese tourist attraction? Yes, they fly in for a couple of days, rent a big Mercedes and go with their guides on the Autobahn... scary, I definitely don't want to be a guide if they go that fast for their first time!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
If you look for free Autobahns, the route between Stuttgart - Munich is probably one of the worst parts in Germany :D Biggest Autobahns without speed limit are A4 and A9... did you know that Autobahns were a famous japanese tourist attraction? Yes, they fly in for a couple of days, rent a big Mercedes and go with their guides on the Autobahn... scary, I definitely don't want to be a guide if they go that fast for their first time!

Yea I remember one was the A8 , think the other A7 or A9. I know they were sequential numbers...

We filmed nearly the whole time while driving !!

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Yes, they have numbers and that's what wikipedia is saying:

The current autobahn numbering system in use in Germany was introduced in 1974. All autobahns are named by using the capital letter A, which simply stands for "Autobahn" followed by a blank and a number (for example A 8). The "main autobahns" going all across Germany have a single digit number. Shorter autobahns that are of regional importance (e.g. connecting two major cities or regions within Germany) have a double digit number (e.g. A 24, connecting Berlin and Hamburg). The system is as follows:

Pattern of autobahns 10 to 999.

300px-Autobahnen_in_Deutschland.svg.png

Every blue line is an Autobahn... In the SW and W you won't find many "open" Autobahns, because they are 1. to old... or 2. to heavy traffic!

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
speak for yourselves

A mate is moving to germany shortly and im hoping to visit him later this year and plan to definately check out these autobahns........

As for top speed, i have wrung the leggie out to a bit over 190 (on my private driveway of course) but the door was shaking and shuddering and i thought it was going to fall off and i didnt go any faster :p

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp

Third world road..... Australia??? To give you some idea it used to take us 10 hours to drive 120km on a road in Bihar, India. It would have been quicker to jog, there are so many potholes that in some places the road is indistinguishable... The council used to occasionally fill the potholes in with yellow sand, I used to wonder why they'd even bother as in a few days it would be gone. I guess the money was supplied but they stole it all and just bought the sand with the leftovers.

CambodiaRoad.jpg

This is the kinda stuff you see in Monsoon all the time

Top Bottom