TV & navigation
Grade 4.5 condition
Factory Recaro seats
Aftermarket body kit
Xenon headlights
17" alloy wheels

1.jpg

2.jpg

Definately one hot looking car! Especially this example in black.
I wonder how they handle..?

- I want one -

G

Unregistered
i nearly bought one of the older caldina gt-t's 2.0twincam with turbo 191kw. the newer ones have the same 3sgte lump but look damn hot........

Attachments

• toyota_caldina_8908.jpg
    toyota_caldina_8908.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 230

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Looks great...but not for 40k. Imagine what a VR4 would be like if you spent 40k (including buying it)!

Mrk_VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1998 VR-4 Legnum
I looked at one of these when i was looking for a car. I checked out the older version ST215 not the ST246, but they have the same 4th gen 3sgte engine. It was either the Caldina or the Leggy i was going to get.

Sure the Caldina goes great and handles well being a bit lighter, but i found it to be quite laggy and a bit gutless off boost. Once i drove the leggy there was no going back. The Legnum has so much more grunt down low and is much more responsive and pokey because of this. The Caldina is an animal if you keep it on boost, and would run over the top of a legnum in the top end, but not the kind of drive i was after, its completely different to the leggy.

But it all comes down to driver preference, and i found the legnum to be much more comfortable to drive, has many more mod cons and creature conforts, a better 4wd system, and performed better for my style of driving.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
I've sold a couple of ST246s now. There was a really nice one at TRIAL with a manual conversion (they were all auto from the factory) and a heap of mods. Look much better from the back than they do from the front. High $20Ks landed and complied is closer to the mark price-wise.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Looks great...but not for 40k. Imagine what a VR4 would be like if you spent 40k (including buying it)!

Exactly!
This one is definately the most expensive I've seen pop up. Generally they seem to be around the same price as a Leggy..
I was thinking of getting one for mum! "It's a Corolla mum, but better. Safer".

G

Unregistered
i think they look horrible. :/ i saw them when looking at legnums, and since we already have a stag, i had no other choice. :p

G

Unregistered
I agree, I dont fancy the look myself, its a steriod corolla ... Prolly a nice car ...

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Well it's good that we all have different taste, as you guys must have your tastebuds in your assholess:ROFLMAO:

I on the other hand think they look pretty cool, i like, that they look like a Corolla from the front but aren't.

More choice is always good

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I like it. Looks like the bastard child of a Corolla and a Tarago, spawned via some wicked satanic ritual...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I don't think they look that bad at all. They are a common site on NZ roads too.

What they lack however is power and they have too much lag. The VR-4 has a much better engine, 4wd system, and is available as a manual stock. The boots are also much bigger.

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
RESURRECTING OLD THREAD!

So, as many of you know, I lost my beloved Legnum to an accident last year.

I've been driving an Audi A4 B6 Avant since, but I must say I'm getting a little bored. I've toyed with the idea of getting a Legnum again in manual. But since I've already owned one, maybe there is something else I could taste?

That M35 Stagea that Iron Chef on his site looks pretty nice, but I'm thinking maybe the Caldina GT-Four will be lighter. Therefore better handling and fuel consumption, especially with the 3S-GTE 4 Cyl engine.

What do y'all thing? Caldina GT-FOUR ST246? Anyone driven one of these? Opinions!

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Never driven one but they do look cool. And its a toyota so im sure its an excellent car.

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
Yeah, it is pretty cool and unique.

We all know that the older model Caldina (ST215) was better on fuel, handled a bit better and was slightly faster in a straight line. (But the Legnum had more guts in the low/mid range, so a lot more "useful power"). But it looked pretty horrible and let's face it...Legnum is a billion times cooler.

But with the new one, it's much more modern look. Unfortunately only available in auto... I have spent many hours trying to find every bit of info on the net on the car, but there is very little information. We have such an excellent community in the VR4 scene!

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Love the newer models, they look so much nicer than the older ones. A little pricier than a nice Legnum would be though. Without having looked into it I'd assume there are some bolt-on performance mods, it being a Toyota.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
I drove a GT-Four N-spec (Recaros, tweaked suspension etc) when I was looking at Legnums/Caldinas, though I didn't get to drive it much. It was a nice car, quite refined but had some nice punch down low. The auto is a tiptronic pretty much like ours. Interior was quite nice, with a manageable amount of bling :)

Unfortunately it was out of my price range by $5k or so otherwise I'd be in it and not a VR-4, coz I'm a big Toyo fanboy of old :)

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Ive just helped a mate get a st246, and let me tell you its a great car! For some reason autos are the only ones to be found (in japan somewhere theres alot of manuals)

Otherwise really good on fuel, much better than his bb6 prelude suprisingly, and to me it handles better than our cars stock,smooth power delivery and easy to drive

Downsides, intercooler top mount - fail, i moved it to front, if you get the optioned stock tv screen/gps/reverse camera, well.. you have NO possible way to upgrade the head unit as the whole centre dasg is intetgrated from screen, gps cd map reader, cd player and md player

We've even spoken to king 'Audio Express' and mentioned no deal unless we want ipod connection thats it

All in all, i like the car alot, practical, reliable 4cyl turbo vehicle

Top Bottom