Twin Turbo Upgrade for 6A13TT

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey fellas.. i've been browsing around and haven't seen any thread about "twin turbo upgrade " for our cars.. not talking about TD04's but what's necessarry needed and what turbo's would be suitable for our cars..

I've been thinking about it and want to know what we need to accomplish such project... listed below are what i've thought of so far..

2x Turbo
4x new waterlines (2 inlets, 2 outlets)
4x oil lines (2 inlets, 2 outlets)
Custom exhaust manifold
Custom intake pipes
Custom Down Pipes & Exhaust
6x new injectors (if needed)
Uprated Fuel Pump
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Heat shields for the turbo (or whatever is better)
Aftermarket Computer (full or piggyback)

extras..
bigger better radiator..
thin/slim fans x2
bigger throttle.. but do we really need it?!

now.. for the more complicated stuff..

what Turbo, fuel pump and whatever is related to the project..

so far I've only found TD04 off the WRX/Forrester to be ideal and or the Garrett GT2560R GTR 320hp ball bearing turbo which can be found in this link

G

Unregistered
I'd say the injectors are a must and the full ecu but you dont need the fuel press regulator with new bigger injectors, they are only a band aid solution if you try to run factory injectors (not worth the risk in my opinion.)

G

Unregistered
As far as turbo type it completely depends on what power you are aiming for..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
i'm not aiming for that really high power output.. just want something better..

high spooling turbo's with 'higher output' but massive torque all the around the rev range..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You want gt2554r's then. Smallest ball bearing turbo that Garrett make. They are designed for about 240-280hp each and will spool about 300-500rpm later than a TD03, ie you'll start hauling after 3000rpm or so.

You will need injectors, the stock 390cc's are above 90% duty cycle on my car at 228kw ATW. There are SARD 63516 (part number) 530cc injectors that should be ok up to about 280kw ATW or so.

For fuel pumps, the standard Walbro that everyone uses probably won't be enough as they don't flow very well at high pressures, so I would simply get two of them rather than a big expensive external fuel pump.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
You want gt2554r's then. Smallest ball bearing turbo that Garrett make. They are designed for about 240-280hp each and will spool about 300-500rpm later than a TD03, ie you'll start hauling after 3000rpm or so.

You will need injectors, the stock 390cc's are above 90% duty cycle on my car at 228kw ATW. There are SARD 63516 (part number) 530cc injectors that should be ok up to about 280kw ATW or so.

For fuel pumps, the standard Walbro that everyone uses probably won't be enough as they don't flow very well at high pressures, so I would simply get two of them rather than a big expensive external fuel pump.

Hey Brad, so if they're rated to 280hp each does that mean together they make double the hp?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
is it wise to 'over' do it? as in have more than required to suit future possible further upgrade? as in if X size injectors go to 280KW atw, would it be ok to go even bigger in case of future mods?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
They will for at least 15 seconds. It would be a fun 15 seconds though.... that's you get that 15 seconds on the road after it's off the dyno and tuned anyhow.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
i'm not aiming for that really high power output.. just want something better..

high spooling turbo's with 'higher output' but massive torque all the around the rev range..

Hmmm... just thinking about that. Torque is what the early model XR6 turbos had a problem with when people tried to crank the boost up. The crank could handle it but the pencil thin conrods couldn't and many of them either snapped or bent under the massive compression produced by the turbo. I'm thinking seeing the 6A13TT conrods also being rather thin we might need to be careful about this too with phocussing on the torque.

Without trying to hijack this thread (sorry Christian) my strategy with turbo upgrades is what Chistian said earlier as well as to go for a full rebuild, blue-print the block and go fully forged internals. A bit expensive but I am saving for it.:)

G

Unregistered
screw twins, i'll be chucking a GT3076 on mine when the twins give up.

Reactions: raj
G

Unregistered
As right as you are Mitchy this is "their" twin turbo thread. They will never see the light...

G

Unregistered
ok.. so twin GT3076.. i dont have a problem with that. :p

G

Unregistered
ok.. so twin GT3076.. i dont have a problem with that. :p

lol

ive decided when my turbo's spit it, a large single setup is definitely the go.

in regards to the thin rods, there is only one way to find out how they will hold up ;)

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Will twin GT3076 fit in the spaces without problems?
After the new turbos are installed what else would need to be done? Because i'm assuming you can't just bolt them on and drive off...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Without trying to hijack this thread (sorry Christian) my strategy with turbo upgrades is what Chistian said earlier as well as to go for a full rebuild, blue-print the block and go fully forged internals. A bit expensive but I am saving for it.:)

dude.. dont worry about it.. since this thread is about turbo upgrade.. and in my books if turbo rebuild will increase its efficiency and performance.. then that's also turbo upgrade in a way..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Valmes engines were stock and they kept on blowing up. I doubt you'd be able to fit in gt3076r's anywhere apart from over the transmission with long exhaust manifolds which simply won't be a good idea for lag or driveability.

Josh - yes and no. You don't want to go for mahoosive injectors. If I can get away with the stock 390cc ones at 228kw ATW, then 530cc's should see a car to 300kw ATW. If you went with say 1000cc (lets make it 1060cc to make the maths easier) then a 1% gain on the 1060cc's would be equal to 2% on the 530cc.

IE you can tune to 19%, 20% or 21% on the 530cc's, but on the 1060cc's, your options would be 9%, 10% and 11% of their flow and in turn that would be equal to 18%, 20% and 22% of the 530cc's. So if you did actually want 19% and 21%, you'd have to simply supply more or less fuel than ideal with the 1060cc's.

Basically you want the smallest possible that will not be pushed past about 80% duty cycle.

Top Bottom