djb160

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Dale
Drive
Legnum VR4 "Grimace"
Nissan Leaf
If you're going through the expense of forged item for this engine you may as well use a twin fuel rail system as well. Just if you're curious there's a guy over here that has got his gt35/40 going at 10psi and it's pulling pretty hard so I don't know if you'd even want to think about twin gt30s. 400+kwts is just stupid.

G

Unregistered
in regards to manifold modification, how much closer to the block do the turbos need to sit?

I was thinking perhaps an angled adapter plate (wedge) would suffice to angle the turbos closer to the block

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
dude.. dont worry about it.. since this thread is about turbo upgrade.. and in my books if turbo rebuild will increase its efficiency and performance.. then that's also turbo upgrade in a way..

I didn't mean rebuild the turbos; I meant with going 2 280hp turbos I would fully rebuild the engine.:)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
let's say i was to go with GT2554R's x2... what would be the maximum boost and power output can it produce in our engine? let's just take it for granted that the engine's been prepped up for such application..

If I was to really get twin turbo upgrade for my car.. I would want the new turbo's spooling up at high 2k rev range or low 3k and be sure that i still have alot of puff at around 7.5k rpm...

G

Unregistered
Ok Christian if you want to learn more about specifics of turbos go to turbobygarrett.com and read turbotech 101 102 103 do the formulas and put the plot the results on the graph of the gt2554 r. Not sure how easy it is with the twin setup but you will figure it out.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
LOL at the talk of twin GT3076R's. I guess people don't know how large they are, well, compared to stock items anyway :p

GT3076R over the trans, use a .86 rear housing, you'd be laughing. Turbo would have the balls to make over 300awKW, not sure if your motor could do it though. hehe.

GT2554's would be a perfect size, and would come on full song by 3500rpm at a guess.

G

Unregistered
LOL at the talk of twin GT3076R's. I guess people don't know how large they are, well, compared to stock items anyway :p

GT3076R over the trans, use a .86 rear housing, you'd be laughing. Turbo would have the balls to make over 300awKW, not sure if your motor could do it though. hehe.

GT2554's would be a perfect size, and would come on full song by 3500rpm at a guess.

i was taking the piss...
i know exactly how big one is, thus why i suggested a single one in the first place. :)

...and anything is large compared to the stock one, lol

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i wouldnt mind seeing a size comparison from the stock vs a gt2554r next to eachother lol

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
I'd say the injectors are a must and the full ecu but you dont need the fuel press regulator with new bigger injectors, they are only a band aid solution if you try to run factory injectors (not worth the risk in my opinion.)

Any car can benifit from a good rising rate fuel pressure regulator, Adding a higher flowing pump already overflows the factory regulator as is, and the addition of a fuel pressure regulator would help give much better control over fueling.

For fuel pumps, the standard Walbro that everyone uses probably won't be enough as they don't flow very well at high pressures, so I would simply get two of them rather than a big expensive external fuel pump.
Walboro pumps provide enough fuel flow for up to 500whp, i don't see why you would require two intank pumps for anything below 500whp.:banghead:

If you're going through the expense of forged item for this engine you may as well use a twin fuel rail system as well.
Why twin fuel rails? bump injector size with a good regulator and fuel pump and it will deliver enough for your fuel needs. See no reason to go through the expense of developing a twin rail setup when the amount of power any of us will be throwing at the VR4 will never warrant it.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
As I said, they don't flow well at high pressures. If you had one pumping into an open bucket, you might flow enough to theoretically make 500hp, but they don't like high pressures well and fail regularly when you really push them or simply run out of flow. Trying to run a 500whp car on a single one is just not a smart idea.

G

Unregistered
Just my two pieces from experiences in dealing wtih twin turbo Mitsubishi V6 engines

(A) Twin Fuel rails - this is something we do a lot because the factory system has a single inlet / single outlet setup. The problem is the injectors on the rear bank don't get as much fuel as the front bank so there is a variation in the fuel injectors. Not much but as you get higher horsepower, it makes a big difference.

We manufactured for the magnas and can do the same for the galants, a duel feed in / out setup with an after market regulator. No need for new fuel rails as they are fine.

(B) Injector sizes - you don't need massive injectors. I run 450cc units on my 3.5 V6 magna and produce 450kw at the flywheel. On these vehicles with there smaller capacity, a 450cc injector will be more than large enough for any non forged internal engine. Especially with a twin fuel rail feed / and aftermarket fpr and computer system

(C) Walbro Fuel Pump - I run a 550hp Walbro unit in my magna and can't fault (I am pushing it to 600hp at the flywheel so its stressed to the max) and its worked a treat eall these years. Again for a non forged engine, or even up to 400kw flywheel, the walbro is just fine.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Also keep in mind as an alternative to the garretts or TD04's, the kkr 280's.. half the price of the garrets, similar technology, hit full boost by 3000rpm apparently, and are good for 300kw atw. They are definitely going in my car, so we'll all find out soon.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hhhm.. nice to know.. but what's the quality like? hope its not like those chinese made TD05's which only last for about 3 months til you need to rebuild them.. (not trying to discriminate or anything)

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
nah kkr is a pretty popular brand, when i was (stupidly) concidering a turbo kit on my gli lancer (lol) i was looking into those. But then i saw the light.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Again for a non forged engine, or even up to 400kw flywheel, the walbro is just fine.

Slightly off topic again but were the internals on your magna stock or were they rebuilt with better quality pistons & conrods etc but still not forged?

G

Unregistered
My magna has forged pistons, but modified stock con rods. The factory magna pistons are very weak and don't take any real boost at all. The con rods are at the end of there life span at this power level, I would hesitate to try and put any more boost or power through them, even though there been modified and strengthened.

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
TD04L off the EJ20 is a great way to go mate.
Not a lot of modification to get them on.
Good power gains to be had.
Even if they dont get you to where you want to be power wise (which in my opinion is rubbish way to shoot for results anyway. The amount of people that chase a figure, always end up short of it, becuase of money) you can use all the supporting mods for the next level of turbo.
You can generally find them for about $300 a peice for a good one.
Cheap and reliable.

G

Unregistered
has anyone considered the 2560 rather than the 2554r. they are pretty much the same size and are good for more power

Top Bottom