Twin Turbo Upgrade for 6A13TT

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
No one has even tried a pair of Garrett's, from what I am aware, so the GT2560RS would definately be an option. I have a feeling though that physical packages size may be an issue, even with GT2554R's...

Untill we see a side by side comparison or someone undertakes a Garrett upgrade, it's all speculation.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That is true, I did wander around on the suzuki swift forums about a year ago and found quite a few of them were using gt2554r's with 1.3 and 1.5l engines. They were at 1 bar or more by 3000rpm in a lot of cases.

G

Unregistered
Valmes engines were stock and they kept on blowing up.

Brad, that's simply not true and you know that.

I had only one engine fail with TD04s installed and it wasn't boost or knock related... it was due to oil contamination... mechanics simply didn't remove the dirt from the oil pan, hence low oil pressure = here goes one of the main bearings...

On the next engine I ran fine with TD04 for quite some time... While getting TD05 on there, I've changed all the bearings, seals etc and ported exhaust manifolds to match the turbos and I am still on the same engine... despite the fact that my Exedy Twinplate MC Clutch is now by long gone... it just couldn't cope with the load...

So to put it into perspective - this engine has seen a pair of TD04L13Ts, now has a pair of TD05s and runs strong for the third year in a row... did I mention I frequently beat the hell out of my car?

So, if you know better, please fill me in, on what engines you are referring to...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Sorry I did actually think that at least one engine had blown up due to power :)

Anyways, how are you going? Run a 10.x quarter yet?

G

Unregistered
Sorry I did actually think that at least one engine had blown up due to power :)

Anyways, how are you going? Run a 10.x quarter yet?

Nope, I didn't. For now its a DD with under 4 sec 0-100 capability... until I get something to replace it with, I am treating it with "ohhh 1.2 bars isn't gonna break anything, right?" attitude... and when I finally get my hard yearned DD I will blow up that "stock engine" to see its limits. ;)

I am fine... Working my a** off to get the new business started... in time of world crisis. ;)

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Nope, I didn't. For now its a DD with under 4 sec 0-100 capability... until I get something to replace it with, I am treating it with "ohhh 1.2 bars isn't gonna break anything, right?" attitude... and when I finally get my hard yearned DD I will blow up that "stock engine" to see its limits. ;)

I'll be very interested on seeing the results of that test :)
I have been a bit sceptical of the claims made in the UK by those who run NO2 and say the engine won't hold decent power... An engine breaking rods when hitting the rev limit on NO2 doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Also, out of curiosity, what plugs you using? (working on a theory) :)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Yeah I think it will be great to know this engines limits when tuned correctly, it all kinda seems like speculation at the moment.
How many kw or hp at the wheels are you at the moment?
I'm about to try for 250kw, and then maybe 300kw atw with these kkr 280's. Will have to see how the auto goes, once again there is speculation and different views, I will find out. Will either look at strengthening the auto or going to manual.

G

Unregistered
The problem is testing limits, its not something you can really do on a dyno.

The vehicle may handle say 250kw for weeks, and then go, but may blow immediately on 300kw.

The only real way to do it would be to say, tune it to 250kw and drive it for 2 weeks. Then up to 275kw and go again etc .

The time it breaks on the dyno / road is not really the exact figure as it could have been weakening before that.

G

Unregistered
How many kw or hp at the wheels are you at the moment?

I really have no idea... Right now its -26 C outside and all roads are partially covered with snow and ice... :) running just under 1 bar of boost.

At the summer the maximum I tried was 1.57 bars and it was flying. Usually I would go around my business with AVCR set at 1.2 bars (even though it tends to overboost a little... so 1.3 is more like it).

One of the vr-4.ru members is getting Dyno from NZ. Hopefully it will be intstalled early in 2009 and it's just 800kms drive from me, in Novosibirsk. :)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Sounds like a fun game. I think i'll be happy with whatever mine ends up at with the minor mods i'm planning.

As exciting as huge power is, I don't want to be part of this test group :O

You would think some of this stuff has been done in japan already??

Couldn't one of the importers talk to there contacts and get them to hit up a VR4 meet or forum and see what they say?

G

Unregistered
I'll be very interested on seeing the results of that test :)
I have been a bit sceptical of the claims made in the UK by those who run NO2 and say the engine won't hold decent power... An engine breaking rods when hitting the rev limit on NO2 doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Also, out of curiosity, what plugs you using? (working on a theory) :)

I never used N20 so can't comment here...

In the summer I think they were NGK iridium 7s (6s at the beginning, but went colder in the end) gapped to 0.6.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
G

Unregistered
I tried to boost up till 1.4 bar and everything went okay.....I wanted to a little high up til 1.5 bar but the fuel pump wasn't able to feed the injector.....and at that time I was using ron 93 pump gas.....So if the engine is healthy, it should be able to hit 1.5 bar with no problemo....but I guess 1.5 bar is not for daily driving.....I used .7-1 bar for my daily driving.....

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hi, THREAD MINE:
Ours are TD03-7T right? Has anyone ever looked into upgrading just the compressor to something like the TD03-10 from the BMW 335i?
Would this be possible? Would save all the exhaust retooling (even though I would probably look into honing out the manifold to limit exhaust choke.
$_57.JPG

Pal109

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
A worthy idea, although for people chasing power and the amount of buggering around might not pay the power dividends of what owners could chasing... especially for a few bucks more (n)

Top Bottom