Twin Turbo Upgrade for 6A13TT

Shakedown

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Samy
Drive
Mirage
What is the cost of the hybrid turbos? I agree manifolds with bigger exhaust will be a must to do for these turbos.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
What is the cost of the hybrid turbos? I agree manifolds with bigger exhaust will be a must to do for these turbos.
The cost of the hybrids from @TME_Steve ? If that's what you're asking you should contact TME. I don't think he posted the prices here on OZVR4.

Shakedown

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Samy
Drive
Mirage
I thought you knew the price because you said it will cost to make some new exhaust manifold so I wanted to compare the price of the TME hybrids against the Holset to get an idea just for the turbos.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
I thought you knew the price because you said it will cost to make some new exhaust manifold so I wanted to compare the price of the TME hybrids against the Holset to get an idea just for the turbos.
Price will very depending what combination you want.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Sorry, in my case I was the guinea pig and had custom TD03 hybrids made up by someone else before TME had anything on offer. In my case they were once-off hybrids somewhere between TD03 and TD04, using a thicker shaft (hurr hurr), strengthened thrust plate, and custom compressor wheel. The turbine wheel is a 9 blade, about 1mm wider than stock TD03 turbine. Note that the stock TD03 turbine is an aggressive profile 12 or 14 blade if I recall. Great for spool but not for flow.

I paid $3,000 AUD. The TME units start much cheaper than that.

There's a few people who had custom manifolds made for twin TD05s or twin TD04s. It's pretty hard to get honest answers out of people as to how much they paid though.

djb160

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Dale
Drive
Legnum VR4 "Grimace"
Nissan Leaf
Someone repinned. I have copies of the workshop manuals which helped them a lot

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
helloww

Anybody ever tried or has info to fit larger Turbin such as TD03X made by mamba in stock turbin housing ? just curious whether there is till enough meat and safe to hone to to fit the turbin. any info please?

https://shop.mambatek.com/9-Blade-T...eel-377-43-BMW-N54-012-0073.htm?categoryId=-1

I've tried emailing Mamba through their website and through eBay but no replies.
They also have a kit with larger compressor wheel with a matched housing, about $470 for a set of 2
What I can't confirm is if the larger wheel sits on our stock chra. Can't figure it out perhaps the underside of the wheel is tapered higher to clear the recess that the original 7t wheel within.
With stated flow of 30% more it's tempting, both the Mamba website and eBay store say it's basically a drop in for our turbo's.

bjk

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Billy-Jack
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
I've got the drop in CHRA (without the machined compressor).
https://shop.mambatek.com/9-6-High-...4-TD03-7T-CHRA-007-0931-2-a.htm?categoryId=-1

They seem to use this 9 blade turbine wheel in most of their kits, you can see it is a bit taller than stock, but fits without doing anything to the turbine housing. I haven't had my engine tuned or the boost increased enough to really quantify the difference though.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
That's seems to be the general consensus of the standard chra compressor wheel, no noticeable difference
Not sure why they won't answer emails, mostly curious how they can claim a 51mm wheel fits in our standard chra.
Cheers and thanks for the reply!

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive

bjk

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Billy-Jack
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Not sure what you mean? I don't think there's a claim the standard compressor housing will fit a 51mm wheel without machining, that one you have above mentions the compressor side has been enlarged to suit. The replacement CHRA I linked is I believe a standard diameter wheel in both cases, just different materials/design.

I will note that just changing the CHRA (and also wastegate actuators at the same time) did increase power from ~2500-4500RPM. It's not quite apples to apples, but peak boost was only increased by about 1psi from memory by the springs. And despite peak boost increasing, I actually gained more psi earlier compared to the stock CHRA.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Yes I understand. So we would have to machine the chra face or get one that has the larger recess for the 51mm wheel.
Gotta a say for their size they do a huge job in getting Galants and Legnums moving so quick.

bjk

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Billy-Jack
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Ohh, nevermind, I've misread your comment and thought you were talking about the wheel fins and not the base. Only a guess based on the photos, but it looks like the 51mm is over the lip of the recess. You can kinda see the extra height in the mound it bolts to.

Although in the $1099 kit, it looks like the face has been machined for the base of the 51mm wheel as well, so who knows!

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
They don't seem to need the business and must be busy but if you can't get a reply then it's not worth the risk as after sales support would be non existent.

Top Bottom