Twin Turbo Upgrade for 6A13TT

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
So Rick, what other supporting mods do you have on the car? Full exhaust etc? Keen to run with standard turbos also and minimal changes to get 200KWATW.
Buy a manual gearbox lol. You can get 200kW easy, might not be as quick as a 200kW auto but at least you get the number :p

I have turbo back exhaust Inc dumps, walbro 255 with 1000cc injectors, fuel loop, eBay intercooler, ally hard pipes, cop kit and an E75 (Caltex fuel) tune.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
going the bmw setup like rick sounds even more promising atm. Need to look at doing something soon Even more after this happen
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
spun the nuts off the shafts and lunched both turbos within less than 100km of driving so that car has reverted to stock turbos.

Hows that possible? wasted time, effort and money. too bad. BTW I tried to boost a bit during engine break in process. up to just 4000 rpm, engine respond felt better, running smooth, pulling harder than usual. I dont know thats because of your reground cam or my porting turbo. i will inspect the engine oil before we start 2nd stage on engine break in.

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Hey Rick,
Reliability seems to be the main issue with high flowing our TD03s. How are yours going now?
Any issues?

Cheers - rob

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hey Rick,
Reliability seems to be the main issue with high flowing our TD03s. How are yours going now?
Still going strong, no change since day 1. It helps that all the moving parts in my turbos are still the original factory set of components from the BMW, just added to our housing.
There was never any disassembly of the bearings, shafts etc so reliability is unchanged from the BMW, assuming oil supply is adequate etc.

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Cool, thanks Rick. Sounds like your upgrade is the best option at the moment! I'm likely headed down this path shortly also!

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Cool, thanks Rick. Sounds like your upgrade is the best option at the moment! I'm likely headed down this path shortly also!
@Kaldek has just achieved some great numbers with his high flows on 98 and @jungle shouldn't be far off getting his up going, that will be 3 completely different approaches to high flowing to consider and I'm sure they will be just as reliable considering the methods used.
So you're in a good position where you will be able to compare all the practical data available when you make your decision.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
@Kaldek has just achieved some great numbers with his high flows on 98 and @jungle shouldn't be far off getting his up going, that will be 3 completely different approaches to high flowing to consider and I'm sure they will be just as reliable considering the methods used.
So you're in a good position where you will be able to compare all the practical data available when you make your decision.
Mine might be up and running next week

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Yeah I forgot about this thread. My custom rebuilt TD03s are sitting at 225awkw with a 229awkw peak on Steve's dyno. That's on a motor with weird inconsistent knock that needed to be driven back to Melbourne. Possibly 240awkw possible on 98 RON with stock cams on these turbos but it takes time to twiddle with boost vs. timing and fuel for that.

We will hit 250awkw (more maybe?) on 98 with these turbos and with cams. Can't speak for how much more, but we will find out. This will take a while longer as the forged motor being used with the cams needs different pistons.

IMG_2120.JPG
overlay dyno.jpg

Note second dyno graph is from 214awkw run - we pulled some timing out for reliability while I wait for the new motor.

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Cool, great results Ed! Can I ask what supporting mods your running? Those numbers are exactly what I'm after.

And Simon, I think we are all eagerly awaiting the results of your new set up! Good luck with it!

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Cool, great results Ed! Can I ask what supporting mods your running? Those numbers are exactly what I'm after.

And Simon, I think we are all eagerly awaiting the results of your new set up! Good luck with it!
Sure. Check these carefully because I keep forgetting things from the list. If it looks like I've forgotten something I probably have!

• Fuel delivery
    • Walbro 255lph pump (to be replaced with a DW300 to support E85 beyond 240awkw)
    • ID1000 higher flow injectors
    • 3SX fuel loop
  • Ignition
    • VK22 spark plugs
    • ICE ignition leads
  • Airflow
    • HDI GT2 Intercooler
    • Custom 2.5" exhaust downpipes
    • Custom 3" exhaust into 100-cell cat, feeding into Fujitsobo Super-R catback system

Everything else is stock. Stock airbox, stock intake hoses, stock Y-pipe, and I still use the rubber hoses for the high pressure side coming out of the Y-pipe goint to the intercooler and coming from the intercooler.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Mine might be up and running next week
The only problem with this setup is that once you get results we need to backtrack and confirm prices and availability still of the Kinugawa mod OR find someone local willing to do the same work.

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Is your contact going to offer these?

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Yeah I forgot about this thread. My custom rebuilt TD03s are sitting at 225awkw with a 229awkw peak on Steve's dyno. That's on a motor with weird inconsistent knock that needed to be driven back to Melbourne. Possibly 240awkw possible on 98 RON with stock cams on these turbos but it takes time to twiddle with boost vs. timing and fuel for that.

We will hit 250awkw (more maybe?) on 98 with these turbos and with cams. Can't speak for how much more, but we will find out. This will take a while longer as the forged motor being used with the cams needs different pistons.

Note second dyno graph is from 214awkw run - we pulled some timing out for reliability while I wait for the new motor.
Ok, all looks good! Remind me, what arrangement did you do to your TD03s? Have your written it up for us all here yet?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Is your contact going to offer these?
If you're talking about mine, they can already be ordered. Just let me know and I'll put you in touch with Rick Cvetkovic from Intense turbos here in Dandenong, VIC.

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
All good Ed,
Appreciate any additional info before I go down this path. Looking promising though!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum

You're keen, I've only been waiting a few years!!

Whatever Eds built engine makes, mine will be probably 20-30 less. As I've said in my thread, I think 240 will be it. Mine will be limited by exhaust flow, as it's the oem turbine section. But we'll see soon enough.

My goal was to keep the oem low end response, but have a bit more mid range and maybe a little more top end. I was never chasing a number. It's still a guess.

Top Bottom