Twin Turbo Upgrade for 6A13TT

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
If you're talking about mine, they can already be ordered. Just let me know and I'll put you in touch with Rick Cvetkovic from Intense turbos here in Dandenong, VIC.
interested what price we talking is it just a swap over? bolt off bolt on ?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
interested what price we talking is it just a swap over? bolt off bolt on ?
Bolt off and bolt on swapover. Not just the cartridge though; includes the turbine housing. Price for turbos is $3,600. You provide the turbos to be modified.

A summary of the swap procedure is:
  • Prerequisites
    • Remove intake hoses including hoses going to turbos
    • Remove radiator and fans
    • Remove down pipes
  • Front turbo
    • Un-bolt oil lines and coolant lines from front turbo but leave lines in place
    • Loosen front turbo to manifold mount bolts
    • Loosen and remove front turbo manifold bolts, and remove entire turbo and manifold assembly
    • Install new front turbo to manifold (leaving bolts loose)
    • Install new front turbo and manifold assembly
    • Tighten all manifold and turbo mount bolts
    • Reinstall all coolant and oil line bolts
  • Rear turbo (potentially more labour)
    • Un-bolt oil lines and coolant lines from rear turbo. Leave all lines in place except top coolant line, which needs to be temporarily removed
    • Quick method
      • If you are able to access all three turbo to manifold bolts with the tools you have, loosen & remove bolts and remove turbo assembly (with dump attached) from the manifold
    • Slow method
      • If you cannot access all three turbo to manifold bolts with your tools you will need to remove the dump pipe to get to the last bolt
      • Slacken alternator pulley belt
      • Remove alternator bolts
      • Lower alternator down to rest on K frame
      • Access and loosen all dump pipe bolts and nuts. Requires a fairly thin but long 14mm ring spanner to get the torque necessary to crack the nuts & bolts
      • Remove dump pipe
      • Remove last turbo to manifold mounting bolt
      • Remove turbo assembly from the manifold
    • Be careful to not damage or bend any lines as you slide the turbo out
    • Install new turbo to manifold and tighten bolts
    • If you had to remove the dump, install the dump and tighten the bolts
  • Cleanup
    • Install down pipes
    • Install radiator and fans
    • Refill radiator
    • Install intake hoses
    • Done

rockerpeller

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Will
Drive
TJII Magna VRX
2000 VR4 Galant Type V manual
That looks awfully like a "Turbo Removal/Install Guide" for the Guides and Writeups section if I ever did see one, Ed. ;)

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
Bolt off and bolt on swapover. Not just the cartridge though; includes the turbine housing. Price for turbos is $3,600. You provide the turbos to be modified.

A summary of the swap procedure is:
  • Prerequisites
    • Remove intake hoses including hoses going to turbos
    • Remove radiator and fans
    • Remove down pipes
  • Front turbo
    • Un-bolt oil lines and coolant lines from front turbo but leave lines in place
    • Loosen front turbo to manifold mount bolts
    • Loosen and remove front turbo manifold bolts, and remove entire turbo and manifold assembly
    • Install new front turbo to manifold (leaving bolts loose)
    • Install new front turbo and manifold assembly
    • Tighten all manifold and turbo mount bolts
  • Rear turbo (potentially more labour)
    • Un-bolt oil lines and coolant lines from rear turbo. Leave all lines in place except top coolant line, which needs to be temporarily removed
    • Quick method
      • If you are able to access all three turbo to manifold bolts with the tools you have, loosen & remove bolts and remove turbo assembly (with dump attached) from the manifold
    • Slow method
      • If you cannot access all three turbo to manifold bolts with your tools you will need to remove the dump pipe to get to the last bolt
      • Slacken alternator pulley belt
      • Remove alternator bolts
      • Lower alternator down to rest on K frame
      • Access and loosen all dump pipe bolts and nuts. Requires a fairly thin but long 14mm ring spanner to get the torque necessary to crack the nuts & bolts
      • Remove dump pipe
      • Remove last turbo to manifold mounting bolt
      • Remove turbo assembly from the manifold
    • Be careful to not damage or bend any lines as you slide the turbo out
    • Install new turbo to manifold and tighten bolts
    • If you had to remove the dump, install the dump and tighten the bolts
  • Cleanup
    • Install down pipes
    • Install radiator and fans
    • Refill radiator
    • Install intake hoses
    • Done
cool thanks for the idea I do have about 4 spare turbos sitting here for the just in case they shit themselves. engine comes out again soon but im thinking big single at these sort of pricing.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
cool thanks for the idea I do have about 4 spare turbos sitting here for the just in case they shit themselves. engine comes out again soon but im thinking big single at these sort of pricing.
Everyone says that and then can't believe how much it costs for manifold and pipe work. :)

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Hi all,
Saw this on eBay. Mamba td03-12t upgrade kit.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172763446621
Anyone aware of the level of quality from this supplier?
What do we think the mid will achieve?
Cheers-Rob
The only guy with a similar turbo is @jungle but the units he had jammed up when they got hot. There's nobody so far who has tried a set with results.

Those were Kinugawa though - but apparently the same guy who built those now works for Mamba.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
The only guy with a similar turbo is @jungle but the units he had jammed up when they got hot. There's nobody so far who has tried a set with results.

Those were Kinugawa though - but apparently the same guy who built those now works for Mamba.
One jammed not both, but they did a shit job regardless.

Look it depends what you want. With turbo's its always a compromise. If you want bottom end then you'll lose top end etc etc. If you want a to make more hp then the less response you'll have in the lower rpm band.
Ed's turbo's will do the job he wants them to do really well. They will make more on his built engine than mine. His stock engine is a POS and was giving irregular results.
Mine should outperform his in the lower range whereas at some point his will begin to outflow mine because i run the stock exhaust wheel. I chose to do that as i wanted the hem response with some more mid and top but not lots more top.
I will run into pressure in the ex manifold and unable to expel the exhaust charge past the oem ex wheel. But that it was i fitted cam gears so i can close the ex cam earlier to help reduce the pressure and reduce the choking of the engine. We hopefully will see how that turns out when i get some more funds.

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
One jammed not both, but they did a shit job regardless.

Look it depends what you want. With turbo's its always a compromise. If you want bottom end then you'll lose top end etc etc. If you want a to make more hp then the less response you'll have in the lower rpm band.
Ed's turbo's will do the job he wants them to do really well. They will make more on his built engine than mine. His stock engine is a POS and was giving irregular results.
Mine should outperform his in the lower range whereas at some point his will begin to outflow mine because i run the stock exhaust wheel. I chose to do that as i wanted the hem response with some more mid and top but not lots more top.
I will run into pressure in the ex manifold and unable to expel the exhaust charge past the oem ex wheel. But that it was i fitted cam gears so i can close the ex cam earlier to help reduce the pressure and reduce the choking of the engine. We hopefully will see how that turns out when i get some more funds.
Thanks for the input Simon and Ed,
Yeh, pretty similar to yourself. Want to hit 210-230 Atw on 98 but like the stock quick spooling, hence staying td03. Will sacrifice some bottom end though to hit the number and have a stronger mid and slightly more top end. Don't need heaps more though. Asked more questions about what's actually replaced/ refurbished and a response came back from "Eiji Takada saying Only upgrade compressor wheel. All rest is as same as factory." I'm assuming that means they have a rebuild kit through them also, but prob the cheap chimes variety.
Also he said:
"After 1 month, we will have TF035-14T". How would this perform?

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
Yeh, pretty similar to yourself. Want to hit 210-230 Atw on 98 but like the stock quick spooling, hence staying td03. Will sacrifice some bottom end though to hit the number and have a stronger mid and slightly more top end. Don't need heaps more though. Asked more questions about what's actually replaced/ refurbished and a response came back from "Eiji Takada saying Only upgrade compressor wheel. All rest is as same as factory." I'm assuming that means they have a rebuild kit through them also, but prob the cheap chimes variety.
Also he said:
when will they sell tf 035 14t bolt on for vr4? if they will the turbo will be awesome. I will line up for this.

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Cool man, when you planning on installing/ tuning?
When I can source a set of dump pipes. And find a mech local to me that can install my ported cammed cylinder heads, then ship it down to TME to wave a wand at it.
Many $$$ must be saved before this adventure, looking at everyone else's past experience with these cars it will cost 3 times whatever I budget for.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
When I can source a set of dump pipes. And find a mech local to me that can install my ported cammed cylinder heads, then ship it down to TME to wave a wand at it.
Many $$$ must be saved before this adventure, looking at everyone else's past experience with these cars it will cost 3 times whatever I budget for.
Hope they still have the other set in a month or so I'll get them bolt them up as soon as they would arrive, hurry up boys or I'll end up trying them first.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Also he said:
Those turbo's will achive your desired target then.
The 14T, no idea. It will depend how much the stock exhaust combo limits power as I said above.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
A good option to replace the factory twins and make big numbers:
http://www.stavtech.co.uk/home/stav...olvo-and-saab-exhaust-manifolds-and-downpipes

Very interesting website by the way.

They're probably a really good turbo but not a "good option" due to the cost of having manifolds made up to suit these. The feasible way of making big numbers is basically machining out the stock housing and cartridge to fit TD04 internals, which is what TME offers.

We have already seen a Legnum with the forged bottom end and the TD04 internals make 300awkw on 98 RON premium fuel. That's plenty.

Reactions: Gav
Top Bottom