Tyre Pressure

3M-TA3

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Daniel
Drive
BLACK MANUAL '97 LEGNUM
tyre presures

hey all, might be a noob question... but... i always thought tyre pressure was around the low to mid.. maybe even hi 30 something psi? just checked my tyres this morning, low 30s psi. read on the side that they can take max 51psi!! sounds way too hi to me. can some one please advise the standard/average...?

G

Unregistered
i've always used, and been told by a reputable suspension place to use 38psi

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
38 is the recommendation I have too.... Some manufaturers have 32 PSI as standard (such as on my SP23) but this is purely for comfort (ie. tyre absorbs more of the bump etc).

For good handling, fuel economy etc, 38 is best ;)

G

Unregistered
first, is that on the stock 16" wheels/225's?? and wouldnt you have less grip on higher psi?? thats what i thought..

3M-TA3

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Daniel
Drive
BLACK MANUAL '97 LEGNUM
they're not stock. 17s 225x45 pirelli dragons. i thought too much pressure means less grip. ?? thats what it means on my pushy any way.:ROFLMAO:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
At 50psi maybe, but lots of VR-4 drivers run between 34 and 38psi and like the feel of the car. I tried 36 front and 34 rear on my 225/50/16's and they didn't feel too good at all. With 235/45/17's 36/34 felt ok, but 38/36 feels just a little bit better.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I run 36PSI front and rear..... 36 is soft enough to be comfortable and hard enough to stop tyre roll (slides instead)

This is on 205/55/R16's......

Oh and although a little off topic, do these tyres sound right for standard series 2 rims? I haven't seen anyone else on here with tyres this size?

On the plus side though it means my speedo is only 1KM/H out lol

Dawso

G

Unregistered
I Went to a drive safe course a while back for work and they recommended 36psi.

G

Unregistered
^^oops!lol daniel i was looking at pirelli dragons, are they a good tyre? also on my pushy its a little differnt i pump my tyres to 100psi(road bike high pressure tyres.lol)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
40psi for mine both front and rears. Have had that since Day 1 since September 2007 and tyre wear is nice and even.

3M-TA3

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Daniel
Drive
BLACK MANUAL '97 LEGNUM
^^oops!lol daniel i was looking at pirelli dragons, are they a good tyre? also on my pushy its a little differnt i pump my tyres to 100psi(road bike high pressure tyres.lol)

they seem really nice. i feel like i have heaps of traction. i have this section of road i have to drive out of from my place with some cool s bends. i can get 3 yellow bars up and still feel in control!!!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I'm running 41 front and 38 rear.. seems ok.. i feel like its sluggish when its at lower pressure

G

Unregistered
I first had 36psi in my 17s and it also felt sluggish,
I now have 40psi in alll 4 and it seems a lot better!

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Can someone tell me what the appropriate tyre pressure would be for 225/45/17 tyres on a Legnum VR-4, please? Any difference in pressure front and back?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
36 - 38PSI All round.......

Still comfortable, yet handles well..... The perfect medium.

Dawso

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I had 36 all corners on the Leggie Jan, and you know that it used to slide very very easily.. Maybe 36 front and 34 rear??

Just try a couple of variations.. :)

Top Bottom