Tyre Recommendations?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Tyres.. what do you guys recommend?

as most of you know, my car was defected for driving with Bald Tyres..

now.. my question is.. what do you guys recommend?

some brands I'm kind of considering..
Dunlop
Goodyear
Bridgestones
Kumho
Toyo
Falken
Yokohama <-- some reason my last one was a little slippery

or somewhat the cheaper ones
Nankang
Nexxen
and others?

I'm either after 205/50r17 or 215/45r17

btw.. mods please dont bash me.. I searched through here and seems like no one has started off this kind of thread..

G

Unregistered
From what I've been told Pirelli P Zero's are the ultimate tyre but are very expensive. So if your after the best grip then these are up there. Probably the closest you’ll get to a semi-slick road tyre in performacce.

Also been told Goodyear eagle F1 have great grip and wear very evenly.

Both of these ones a very expensive, hope someone else can help you out. Also shop around becuase most time's you can find some shops can sell the same tyre way cheaper.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
mods please dont bash me.. I searched through here and seems like no one has started off this kind of thread..

Have you been naughty and deserve a good flogging? :ROFLMAO:

I'm running firestones (made by bridgestone) and they are really nice. Not much noise and lots of grip, I paid about $300 per tyre.

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
my brother got some BF Goodrich on his soarer, i don't know what ones, but he said they are the same compound as the top of the line Michelin tyres (because Michelin own BF Goodrich now) and he said they were cheap (and he's a tight arse to )

i also ran into a bloke yesterday in the autobahn car park that sells nitrogen for your tyres, he said that you get extended tyre life, better ride comfort, better fuel economy and every bob jane T-mart has it, could be something to look into i think.

dan

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I'm putting Michelin Pilot Preceda 2s on mine. I did a bit of looking on the net and for a daily driver it was either the PP2s or Yokohama C-drives. Both seem to have plenty of happy users, and each has the occasional dissatisfied user. But then you can't please everyone.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've had a lot of time with Toyo T1S's, Goodyear GSD3's and Bridgestone S-03's and they are all very good. The GSD3's are the absolute best in the wet period. Others I like are:

Falken GRB FK-452 according to cvr4 guys, very good compared to the gsd3 but not as good on the track
BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KD very good in the dry
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 very good in the dry
Bridgestone RE-01R very good, probably the new standard
Kumho Ecsta MX KU-15 very good in the dry
Continental Contisportcontact 3 dunno much about the but the CSC2 was great
Dunlop Direzza DZ101 not as good as the gsd3
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 new and very good
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 getting old now but fairly good
Falken Azenis RT-615 Tires
Toyo Proxes T1R very good in the dry
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 good all round
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 recommended by audi, bmw, merc, ferrari, etc

G

Unregistered
i would never again use cheap tyres such as nankang... there poo!

ive been using dunlop dz101's for the last 1.5 years.. and they have served me well... good grip in both wet and dry,

im going for gsd3's this time round because the misses is swapping to 17's
so im gonn get the tyres put on my mags.

i will be getting some 17's for my e8 enkeis in the near future...
probabilly a semi slick, if i cant get a good price on those, i may try out the toyo t1r's

G

Unregistered
Nankangs are a no go, i had them on my old 180sx, they lasted well, but gripped like shit.

I just got Bridgestone Adrenalin's, they are RE-01's i think, and grip like nothing eles i have had, they cost me about $270 a tire for 225's

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
errr.. damn too many to choose from.. I think I'll just sell the wheels and get a new sets.. what you guys reckon? I think I can get a set for $1700 delivered with a set of Toyo's.. ill post up some stuff in the rims thread..

G

Unregistered
Im running Toyo Proxes and they are quite cheap compared to alot of the other big brands, think I paid about $170 per tyre. Not much more than a Nankang, but the Tyrepower I went to loves Toyo and discounts them to get them out there.

G

Unregistered
Nankangs are a no go, i had them on my old 180sx, they lasted well, but gripped like shit.

I just got Bridgestone Adrenalin's, they are RE-01's i think, and grip like nothing eles i have had, they cost me about $270 a tire for 225's

The Bridgestone Adrenalin's look really good, thats another one I would consider getting too.

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
1999 8G VR2 Galant & 1996 8G VR4 Galant
Had bridgestone's but they wore out very fast. Now have toyo proxes and they have better grip and don't wear out that fast and I think they do a very good job on wet roads too (and we sure have lots of rainy weather over here in Holland) although I must say most of our highways are special asphalt (ZOAB) that absorb rain very quick so they feel almost like dry.

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Any of the 'GOOD' brand names will do a decent job. I had Dunlop SP's on my Honda and they gave good mileage but where $320 each then I changed to Falken FK series for about $170 each also not bad, so how much do you want to spend? I don't think grip is a real issue with any of these tyres on a 4WD, wear, noise and feel will be the only difference.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
im more concerned about the road noise and comfort..

so which tyres do you guys recommend?

G

Unregistered
I used to have Good year Eagle F1s on my S2000, they were great. Got them for $175 per tyre fitted and balanced from Good year workshop. Apparently the best for grip in the wet.

Bridgestone RE01's have also been recommended to me and my mate uses them on his V35 skyline with no complaints.

G

Unregistered
When I phoned around some tyre shops 235/45/17 are cheaper than the 225/45/17’s as they are more common.
Good year eagle F1’s and Bridgestone Adrenalin’s are both about $250 per tyre fitted and balanced in 235/45/17.

One place said the eagle F1’s are better the other place said no they don’t last as long and are noisy, get the Adrenalin’s.................

Would 225 or 235 be better for 17x8” rims?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Depends what you are after. For slight stretch, a 225 will sit nicer, probably flush with the rim. I have 235 on the front of my R33 which is a 17x8 rim, and it sits slightly proud of the rim - better rim protection not really better look

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I'm searching high and low for Federal 595 Evos in 235/45/R17 or 235/40/R17 (by my calculations there will only be a 11.75mm difference in overall diameter so it's not too bad either way).

The problem is, my local stockist says they're not available in that size, yet my mate in Melbourne has gotten some. I confirmed they're the Evos and not the standard SS595, so I emailed Federal themselves and they won't reply.

I have since found there is a different distributor for QLD, NSW and VIC. So it's quite likely they're available in VIC but not NSW. GGGRRRR!!!

The price my mate got them for was about $150-160 each which is the same price I was quoted for the lesser SS595 standard.

If anyone has the time, can you check with a melbourne tyre store and see if they have access to them?

The reason I'm searching so much is my mate goes through LOTS of tyres and he reckons they are AWESOME value for money and can almost keep up with tyres nearly double their price. So I'm keen to try them out.

If anyone can help, that'd be tops. Cheers!

Top Bottom