Tyre Recommendations?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I've had MA-V1's on my R33 - good for a budget tyre. Grip was quite good actually, and very progressive. You always knew just before they were about to let go, giving you time to correct. Khumo's are supposed to be quite good, as the Proxes 4's. My dad has proxes 4's on his BA XR6T and he's pretty happy with them, then again, he's not exactly a lead foot any more (though he does have 272rwkw LOL).

Perhaps get a price on the Maxxis MA-Z1's - they would be more comparable to the other 2 you have there I think, performance wise, and they placed 3rd in the Motor Tyre Test in 07 (or was it 06?) amongst tyres more than twice their price!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What about GSD3's or Toyo T1R's?The Proxes are designed to be great in the wet, but not as good in the dry.I'd be afraid of the Maxxis tyre, if they aren't rated to really high speeds, the quality of the tyre is going to be fairly low.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
^No way you'd get them for under $250 a tyre here in Aus I dont reckon.

From the Maxxis website:
Maxxis MA-Z1 - 235/40ZR18
Treadwear: 280
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
Speed Rating: 95W
Price: $ dont know

maz1_drift.jpg

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the response guys,

What about GSD3's or Toyo T1R's?

Didn't get a quote for the GSD3's, although the place I went to wanted $375 each for the T1R's in that size :O No thanks, I would go the Bridgestone Adrenalins RE001 for $315 a pop.

I'd be afraid of the Maxxis tyre, if they aren't rated to really high speeds, the quality of the tyre is going to be fairly low.

I completely agree, I'm not likely to go 240km/h (V Speed Rating), but it's also an indication of the quality of the tyre as ya mentioned, such as sidewall strength, grip etc.

Perhaps get a price on the Maxxis MA-Z1's

I asked about the Maxxis MAZ-1 and they wanted about $280 a tyre, although this was speaking to them in person and not over the phone.

G

Unregistered
ive had a quick skim of this thread and we'll just point out a few of my opinions on tyres.
you have to look at what kind of tyre it is. ie family car tyre or a sport tyre that will dictate the noise level as will the fact if it is directional or not.
brands like maxxis, kuhmo, nankang are crap in my opinion no grip and dont last long.
now some specific tyres mentioned here.
the bridgestone adrenalins are a shit tyre, they are a cross between the so3 and the g3.
if you want a performance tyre that grips and handles well in the wet these are the ones to look out for:
michelin pilot sport
bridgestone so3 whoch i think has been replaced by the re050a
bf goodrich gforce sport
goodyear f1 gsd3 (or whatever the code is)
pirelli p zero
pirelli dragons are ok
continental contisportcontact 3

the problem with these tyres is that they're a soft compound and will usually be noisier than a harder compound run of the mill family car tyre like the yoko c-drive

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
I finally got around to getting my rims put on so now im running on 235/45 Toyo T1R's. Compared to the stock tyres that came on the car from japan (which i was told were snow tyres) they are awesome haven't let go at all yet, but im still getting used to a car that can finally take corners. I should have bought new tyres first thing when i got the car :redface:

G

Unregistered
I finally got around to getting my rims put on so now im running on 235/45 Toyo T1R's. Compared to the stock tyres that came on the car from japan (which i was told were snow tyres) they are awesome haven't let go at all yet, but im still getting used to a car that can finally take corners. I should have bought new tyres first thing when i got the car :redface:
should have had tyres put on it for compliance, were you charged for tyres when the car was complied?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Bill, I'm curious about your viewpoint on the Adrenalin, everyone else seems to love them! Care to explain more

G

Unregistered
the tread pattern doesnt work, one side of the tyre is off a g3 the other an s03. it was suppose to improve the grip in the wet which the s03 didnt really have and which the g3 had and it has probably accomplished that but wont have the grip the so3 did.
to me its the hsv of tyres its a family car tyre dressed up to look like a sports tyre.

imo its one or the other, you want a sports tyre you buy a sports tyre.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
should have had tyres put on it for compliance, were you charged for tyres when the car was complied?

no i wasn't charged for tyres, i chose to keep the stock ones that came on the car from japan and use different wheels to get it through regency ;)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I source my tyres second-hand. In South Melbourne, there is a place two blocks from me and the range in performance tyres are fantastic!

Since there are auction houses for cars, dealerships, etc etc etc nearby, you get a fantastic range with about 65%-75% tread on them as owners and dealers chop and change. Falling into the 17" range is a lot of rubber as people head up the 18"/19"/20" route.

Hell, my TS Magna had Pirelli P-Zeros, Michelin Sport MXPs and the like for $250-$300 for ALL of them including fitting!

G

Unregistered
Hey Guys,

Just chucked a set of these on my 2000 Legnum. Bridgestone's latest performance (and heavily marketed) tyre the Potenza RE-001 Adrenalin's.

My Legnum came with some 16x7 with snow tyres, which handled so very bad.

Just got them put on today, and even though I am just scuffing them up (wearing them in etc), the performance is unreal. I am running 225/50/16. Would love to see what a lower profile on a 17" would feel like.

Anyway, I'm highly recommending them, just check out their website for them !

http://www.potenza-adrenalin.com/

Enjoy !

G

Unregistered
What did they set you back for the set Tom?

They cost me $230ish per tyre (225/50/16). I had a full wheel alignment etc, and total price all up was $923.00. Expensive, I know, but it is so worth it. One of the most noticeable upgrades I've ever felt ! Good tyres are so important !

Cheers :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I'm not convinced they are the absolute best tyres out there, they will turn up on jap tuner cars, but you'll never see them on a porsche or bmw!

G

Unregistered
I'm not convinced they are the absolute best tyres out there, they will turn up on jap tuner cars, but you'll never see them on a porsche or bmw!

Sure. I'd agree with you on that point. However, for my needs, they are doing absolutely fine. If I had the money to buy a Porsche or M3/5, then I'd also have the coin to afford some Michellin Pilot Sports or something Euro like that (Michellin is Euro right ?)

Though, I'd hate to see the cost per tyre for like a 275/35/19 or whatever those sort of cars run !!!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Cool stuff mate! __ET__ and I managed to get Eagle F1's for $220 each when we bought a set each at the same time and paid cash. I think they're a comparable tyre so you'd be as happy as we are with ours! :D We're both running 235/45/17.

I'm interested in how they wear and how they go in the wet compared to the F1's too :) I realise we're running different sizes..but it's still a rough indication

G

Unregistered
Cool stuff mate! __ET__ and I managed to get Eagle F1's for $220 each when we bought a set each at the same time and paid cash. I think they're a comparable tyre so you'd be as happy as we are with ours! :D We're both running 235/45/17.

I'm interested in how they wear and how they go in the wet compared to the F1's too :) I realise we're running different sizes..but it's still a rough indication

For sure mate, I'll be fully testin them this weekend, with a little run through the hills etc. I'm also keen to see how they go in the wet. There doesn't seem to be a heap of directional tread on them, but the website claims that's because the other half of the wheel is for stability etc etc etc...

By the way, I love your HKS Super Drager you have on your beast. I wish mine came from Japan with one of those !!!

Cheers.

G

Unregistered
wait until you try the flagship re050 or re050a now that is a tyre.

btw paul the goodyear eagle f1 is comparable to re050. as i have said in a previous thread the adrenalin is a cross between the old so3 and g3

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Cheers Bill, that clears it up a bit for me :)

And thanks Tom! :D

Top Bottom