URGENT HELP! gearbox

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
Ok, so I have this curse... of the crappy gearbox... Every @#$%(#& car I buy ends up needing gearbox repairs. And NO its not my driving style :p Don't go there peanut gallery!

Ever since purchasing the car I have noticed a whine noise from the gearbox. This was checked over by Carmen import centre who advised it seemed ok from what they could tell without removing the box. No problems there.

Tonight I pulled in the driveway and noticed a reddish dripping marks up the driveway (fresh) and also noticed a nice pool where the car had sat whilst I unlocked the door. I'm thinking the gearbox may have a seal gone.

My question... I honestly don't have oodles of money at the moment (im sure everyone can appreciate that with the worlds financial status). But I need it fixed as its a daily. What would be the smartest and keeping in mind tight money, idea to get this fixed.

Should I consider just buying another box (second hand) or getting it pulled out and looked at?

I will be giving Carmen a call as they are my prefered mecahnic; but looking for advise quick as I will need to arrange something tomorrow.

It sucks this happens just a week before I was going to get it serviced.

Please any help would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

G

Unregistered
torque converter seal, its a cheap part sub $20,
but the gearbox has to come out to change it (10 hours labour) + new fluids

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
torque converter seal, its a cheap part sub $20,
but the gearbox has to come out to change it (10 hours labour) + new fluids

Spot on man, that would've been my first guess too.... You could expect change from $1000 if you took it to someone who has done it a couple of times, possibly sub $800 if you find the right place

Sorry to hear about it anyways man, thats real gay :(

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
here is some shitty pix... sorry they are bad; but its all i could get.

1-2.jpg

The reddish oil
2-2.jpg

Looking towards the back of the car from front left
3-2.jpg

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Looks like someone has already bogged the ass out of it....

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
Hm... thanks man.. hopefully not too expensive :( I hope other things are ok

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Labour is the big thing. Just don't drive your car much without topping up the gearbox oil. The auto's get very angry if they run out of oil

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
Ok, so I am faced with a question.. At what price do I start contemplating buying a second hand box? Im just thinking if with my luck the TC is damaged... or other things need replacing... Also the Main Rear Engine Seal; is this a expensive part? should I consider doing this at the same time as the box?

VR4 WRC

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum VR4
You should replace the Rear Main Seal while you have the gearbox off. For piece of Mind.

Both seals are around $60 for both but as mentioned, it's mainly the time charged to remove and refit the gearbox.

A few people have had the seal's replaced on the forum's. Some of the quotes were very different as some workshop's weren't sure what was involved.

Have a search around to see people's opinion's on which workshops did a good job.

Scott

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
The box won't be rooted, it'll just be the TC seal.... First thing I would do is get a quote ;)

And DO NOT replace the box. Its the same price to get yours reco'd and strengthened (They'll just replace all Mitsi's dodgy shit basically) so you would be far better off doing it that way if you had to go down that path, which i'm sure you won't :)

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
Cool, thanks for the advice dude.

Comming from a rex background I have been through many boxes in the past and ended up getting a fully built PPG box which set me back 8K so I am just wanting to know the best option before looking into it... if it comes to that. I have the usual luck of pull something apart for a easy fix and it ends up being alot of little things that kill the price.

Will give Carmen a call when they open @ 8am

The box won't be rooted, it'll just be the TC seal.... First thing I would do is get a quote ;)

And DO NOT replace the box. Its the same price to get yours reco'd and strengthened (They'll just replace all Mitsi's dodgy shit basically) so you would be far better off doing it that way if you had to go down that path, which i'm sure you won't :)

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Mel had a Transfer Case repair done on her Legnum a little over 12 months ago by the guys at Repco in Viccy Point and that set us back around $1200. Could have been more but that was a full rebuild. It was a big job and they needed the car for a whole week.

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
As I said... Not 8:00am yet... you might want to wind your clocks back bro ;) I wouldnt want you on a inferior states time :p

In the land of all things that are right its already 8:30 though? ;)

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Hm... thanks man.. hopefully not too expensive :( I hope other things are ok

Had exactly the same problem from Day 1 on! I bought the torque converter seal + main rear... after we took the whole thing out we realised it wasn't just one of those 2 seals... it was another seal inside the gearbox which was leaking so we ordered those 3 other seals inside as well. Cost $40 for 3 coming from New Zealand...

Paid $500 for the lot! Bargain!!! Had other quotes up to $1000 just for replacing the first 2 mentioned seals...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
$60 is far to much for a rear main - they're only ¥1,800 :banghead:

Tom you did really well there! Care to post up the part numbers of the seals you replaced? Its probably worth doing all five if you're going to go to the effort of pulling a gearbox off. Brett's has obviously been off before given the colour of that gasket sealant - you may find the rear main has already been done, and its one of the other seals that's gone like Tom's...

G

Unregistered
I just had a full rebuild.... It was $1100.... Not the cheapest.... but had to be done!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I just had a full rebuild.... It was $1100.... Not the cheapest.... but had to be done!

$1100 for a rebuilt auto? That's an awesome price!! Where in Perth did u get it done? And what did it include for that? All parts and labour? PM me if u want. I may need to also rebuild mine if it doesn't sort itself out.

Top Bottom