V6 engine on evo ecu

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
Mitisuibishi 1998 RVR X3 auto rallysport
I come across this guy in a russian RVR /airtrek forum and have had a few chats with him on facebook and he semed to be the go to guy for ecu mods, he has been doing some intresting engine hardware and ecu hardware and software mods.

I just thaught this below may intrest members here where he has used a 4cyc evo 9gta / airtrek ecu to run a 6cyc engine.
This required hardware mods to the ecu to add in injector drives and coil driver's in conjunction with custom ecu software.
it kind of is cool as it updates the car to obd2 and a newer processor that is better supported and more modern over the H8.
sorry it is in russian.

There was some other cool stuff like adaptive launch control, electronic throttle body conversion (drive by wire), blip and fuel cut on shift, SD, DMA live tuning, per cyl knock control, spark and fuel trim per cyl, flat shifting, rolling launch etc...

Last edited:

Leggie

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Cody
Drive
1996 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4
I come across this guy in a russian RVR /airtrek forum and have had a few chats with him on facebook and he semed to be the go to guy for ecu mods, he has been doing some intresting engine hardware and ecu hardware and software mods.

I just thaught this below may intrest members here where he has used a 4cyc evo 9gta / airtrek ecu to run a 6cyc engine.
This required hardware mods to the ecu to add in injector drives and coil driver's in conjunction with custom ecu software.
it kind of is cool as it updates the car to obd2 and a newer processor that is better supported and more modern over the H8.
sorry it is in russian.

There was some other cool stuff like adaptive launch control, electronic throttle body conversion (drive by wire), blip and fuel cut on shift, SD, DMA live tuning, per cyl knock control, spark and fuel trim per cyl, flat shifting, rolling launch etc...

I recently had someone ask me if this was possible when we were discussing my woes with tooling. Looks interesting.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
I don't see any benefit for running the SuperH over the H8. Most people serious about end up running an after market ECU like a Link as it's plug and play.
H8 ECU has almost feature parity with SuperH in terms of live tuning/DMA, antilag/launch control, flexfuel, speed density, fuel density compensation, etc

Once you want to have additional inputs for additional sensors, it requires external board to have more ADC inputs and feed that into ECU (which is what my setup is).

Even as someone who writes H8 and superh code and knows the oem ecu inside out, I've been tempted to go aftermarket ECU unfortunately as it's easier and provides greater flexibility.

My 2 cents

but for the interest of the convo:

A good donor which i started looking into back in the day would be a Manual Magna ECU SuperH ECU (TJ onwards) as it's 6cyl already...
Manual Magna H8 ECU (TF, TH) with looks to be identical in terms of PCB layout and populated components for VR4.

Just checked my box of ECUs (I have over 10 from various mitsubishis :/), Evo 7 ECU does have unpopulated pads to add additional transistors...

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
Mitisuibishi 1998 RVR X3 auto rallysport
Problem no aftermarket ecu handles auto transmissions you allways some wierd mashup of an aftermarket ecu and the factory ecu or transmission ecu, with a evo 7 gta it has the auto box built into it and it has siginificantly more I/O than an evo 7 manual ecu and its lesss complicated.

also with h8 we dont have obd-2 compliant setup and requires an expensive open port cable where evo 7-9 has the buckboost circuit inside the ecu.

With all the open source efi projects out there like rusefi, speeduino, opn-ecu could we not port our own software to the stock ecu?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Agree with BCX 100% for roughly 2.5k you can buy like likes of a link fury which has all the capabilities you ever want (ethrottle, flex fuel, multi maps, onboard wideband etc) and its a pretty easy job to jist repin a stock loom to make it work vs the hundreds of hours BCX has probably put into dissasembling the H8 roms and what-not.

Same goes for people who mod evo plug ins to fit the V6, the time and effort adding injector drivers and whatnot could be spent changing the header plug to a wire in ecu plug and then have the option to add in wires for sensors etc.

Also our cars has the transmission computer as a seperate unit. Its not like certain Toyotas and nissans where the trans control is built into the ECU

Top Bottom