V8 calais owner curious about Legnum VR4s

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
well hello, i was referred here from Mitsubishi club Australia for more info.

i have always been a holden man, VK calais, VN V6 auto, and now i have a VS calais V8. but as of late ive noticed the local police have a vendetta against modded holdens and fords and now that im 25, i think maybe its time for a change to something different from boganmobiles.

my fiance recently got a new 08' lancer ES, for $24K its amazing. ive been so impressed with it that ive actually considered a new VR-X myself. but at around $30K i wonder what else is lying around i can have a look at. we'll be having a family in the next few years so an evo is out. but ive heard good things about the legnum VR4.

hes what i know, its a twinturbov6 with 206kw and 4wd. thats about all i know! what else can you guys tell me about them?

how do they go?
are they equipped well?
is there much room for modding? ie. go fast bits?
is the type-s the top of the line? or the VR4? confused?
ive read the auto legnums can be a bit noisy road noise wise?

i read the nissan steaga seems to be the legnums direct competition,
what about the steaga? any good?

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Fuel consumption - very good for what it is. I used to regularly get 10l/100km and less on country trips, depending on what cruising speed I chose lol. Like all turbos, can go up rapidly when you drive hard, and the tank isn't overly large on them. They are AWESOME open road cars - passing road trains was a hoot! Could easily be done in 5th just letting the torque do the work, but 3rd was much more fun. Smile

Handling - firmer than a normal Commo, but certainly not Evo hard. I would've preferred it a little harder but then you compromise comfort for everyday use. Perfect for what it is - an executive express.

Seats - pretty average for a sports car as far as holding you in, but easy to get comfortable in. The Recaro factory option on the series 2s (and the Super VR-4s series 1) is a much better deal. Velour trim is very hard wearing and leather the same, although you tend to slide a bit when pushing hard. If you plan to upgrade your performance, factor in seats too.

Trans - I bought a manual, but having driven the auto, I think the nature of the motor is much better suited to the auto. Turbos are quite small, giving it an excellent midrange but leaving it breathless higher up (although the motor itself revs really freely). The series 1 autos only had 260ps, then went to 280ps in the series 2s. Not as quick as a manual off the line, but still move pretty quick.

Maintenance - I used Ultratune, beleive it or not. Mitsu Oz were a waste of time and money. Didn't want to know it. I made good friends with the service dept at Auckland Motors Mitsubishi (absolute legends), and they faxed the Ultratune blokes all the parts needed for various services and the cost, then we just ordered them in advance and serviced it when they arrived. The only big job I did was the clutch, and even though the plate is exactly the same as a manual Magna, it was cheaper for me to import one from NZ than buy locally - go figure....

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Look down at the next Victoria Wash meet and have a look at them!

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
stageas are easier to mod than legnums,but thats about all theyve got over them

go to a meet and let someone take you for a drive,youll be sold

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
As you may know these cars have only been allowed into Aust in the last 18 or so months; so go fast bits are starting to become less and less scarce. ATM intercooler and piping bolt on kits are being trialed (I'm the one who's trialling a kit:D) for fitment as well as dump pipe kits for turbo exhaust. I'd estimate in the next few months there will be several fully tested and proven upgrade kits on the market, including piggyback plugin ecu's.

If you have a look at the quarter mile thread you will see that these cars go into the 13's with very few mods (boost controller, 3" catback exhaust) making them very competitive and best of all... they're great sleepers!!:D

Good luck with your decision.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
And they handle a million time better than our 2002 Monaro, so even better than your VS!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
G'Day Ryan, welcome to the forums.

Brad can speak from an objective point since he has a Monaro in his garage in NZ ([edit] as well as owning a monster of a BMW 850CSi... not 850i, tah for the correction!) as well as owning three Legnums at one stage (not all VR-4's).

So how's the visit from the LS-1 forums going so far? :D

How do they go?
It's not just the 206kW *ahem* and 376Nm of torque, but it's also how it handles with the active yaw control (electronically controlled LSD, which does wonders), AWD, ASD, you name it. Of course, different kind of power delivery compared to NA (like being at the end of a bungee cord... acceleration improves as revs build) and having two small turbos mean they spool up damn quick but run out of breath at 6000rpm and above.

Handling-wise, they use multi-link armatures/suspension and their nimbleness definitely defies their 1500kg+ curb weight. Of course, there will be times where physics will win (ie: when the tyres let go of adhesion) but that goes for all cars.

Are they equipped well?
These were released in 1996-2002, and they came with a LOT of gear for the money. Equivalent ca$h today would be the $60,000 mark brand new.

Unlike the EVOs which are relatively spartan to save weight and focus on purpose, these do have supple ride quality (and corresponding ride height) and atypical late 90's japanese interiors, from the dark velour/black plastic interiors to two-tone leather (appearing a LOT in the latest Subaru Liberty fit-outs) to the Recaro/Momo/Red carpet trimmings in some models.

With massive sun... sorry, MOONroofs (damn marketing), excellent light spread and importantly for the Legnums, room in the back for adults to sit comfortably on long rides.

At the latest Melbourne Motor Show, when I was looking around as always, a similarly equipped car with creature-comfort features, power and safety (side curtain airbags on some models, etc) are the Volvo V70s, some higher-end Audi wagons and Subaru Liberties are hitting the $60+ mark (some even the $100k+ mark!).

Bear in mind the age of the cars and what you get (a LOT) and anywhere from $12,000 - $18,000 and it's a lot of car for the money.

is there much room for modding? ie. go fast bits?
Not yet for the "big stuff". That being said, there are examples of Legnums with two TD-04 turbos (bit of beating back of firewalls apparently) and hell, even a single TD-05 conversion currently being fine-tuned in NZ can be found. Searching for a user by the name of valmes will yield (even on youtube) a well-worked Russian Legnum.

Stock they are very good but they respond well to light boost/FMIC/exhaust mods on the standard internals. Again, 18 months in Australia and we're learning from what we can from the English and the New Zealanders (over @ www.clubvr4.com)

is the type-s the top of the line? or the VR4? confused?
The VR-4 is the top-of-the-line model with 2.5L V6 twin turbo and then there are different fit-outs.

There are ST-R (NA version of the V6) and the GDI (1.8L 4cyl) versions which I've seen first-hand in NZ but are not allowed under SEVS for import.

Amongst the VR-4s however, the Type-S has all the gear, the Type-V is missing some mechanicals like the trick AYC (but maintaining the power outputs, standard dashboard etc). The limited edition Super VR-4 only comes with the INVECS II auto, no sunroof but factory body kit, red carpet (as in it took several Elmo's from Sesame Street to skin and lay out!), MoMo steering wheel and factory Recaro bucket seats.

I love my Super (have a look at my sig if you'd like).

There are two generations. Series 1 (can be known as the PFC, or pre-facelift) autos were downtuned to 260bhp whereas the manuals had 280bhp. Series 2 (FCs, or facelifts) were from 1999 to 2002 had 280bhp on both.

I've read the auto legnums can be a bit noisy road noise wise?
It'd be interesting where you got this observations from. The new compliance-meeting tyres they shod our cars with (I have Nankangs, can't wait to replace these) can be noisy and the vast majority of imports are autos... so this could be the reason behind the evaluations.

In-cabin noise insulation is otherwise excellent. I notice a BIG difference in external environment noise when I wind down the windows when driving.

i read the nissan steaga seems to be the legnums direct competition, what about the StageA? any good?
Funnily enough, there are two members here with direct access/own StageAs, being Mitchy and Drifter-X (Scott, whom I bought the Super VR-4 Legnum from). Different horses for courses really. The RS 260 has all the trimmings and the base StageAs have access to plenty of mods sharing the parts from the Skylines. However, the base StageAs seem to require an investment of sorts to get up to the speed of the Legnums BUT can go far beyond.

Some have gone so far to change the front end over to R34 Skylines.

They are very boxy, heavy and IMHO ugly as sin but the potential is there for some heavy-hitting firepower and I appreciate that. Hell, a jet-black StageA with white rims in the flesh... there's gotta be some serious mumbo lurking beneath the bonnet.

Again, my opinion :D Hope this helps!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
850CSi, repeat after me, CSi, CSi

i = 5.0L 320hp V12 with a 4 speed auto, CSi = 5.6L 380hp V12 with a 6 speed manual

Now as for the road noise, they are a bit loud unfortunately. It is the only real bad thing about the cars. Lower profile tyres with more aggressive tread patterns just make it worse. There is no difference between the noise of an auto VR-4 and a manual one.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
These are great cars Ryan i love them and for what you pay you get a lot for your money and it's something different to every thing else out on the road, I've owned 2 Legnums now both in NZ and Aussie plus i know how upset you calais owners get when we beat you in a drag :ROFLMAO:

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
been looking at import sites.

does around $20K landed and complianced for a 99'/00' VRX Type-S sound about right?
that seems to be the one i like, if i was ever to get one.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Ryan,

In regards to road noise/noise in general.

I have a legnum vr4 with compliance tyres (talon sport?) tyres still on the stock rims and I have barely any noise from the road.

My legnum also has a 3" cat back and you cannot even hear that on the freeways etc... you hear it a little when start stopping but you wouldnt even know its there.

I reakon the legnums are a great car. see how you go.

Cheers,
Brent

G

Unregistered
been looking at import sites.

does around $20K landed and complianced for a 99'/00' VRX Type-S sound about right?
that seems to be the one i like, if i was ever to get one.

Hi mate ... the 99-00 Type S is definately the way to go ... if u import yourself ur looking at about $13,000 - $18,000 for a tiptronic.
If u buy one from a dealer your looking around $20,000 but private sales can range heaps.
I would get one off our forums before going to a dealer.
You mentioned VRX above ... there is no VRX model ... If you buy a model 98-above then definately go for the Type S over the Type V (AYC)

Good luck buddy, best to get down to a meet, we have a great bunch of freindly people on here ...

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Unless y'all Melbourne crew feel like stretching the legs of the VR-4s and fanging north to Bendigo?

G

Unregistered
Well, i'll be heading up to Sydney for work in June. I decided to pocket the flight cash and drive up. Most people looked at me funny about that decision but what do they know, lol.

I might be able to fit in a stop in Bendigo on Friday 20th June at around 8-9am if your free? I don't mind stopping by as i'm sure you'll be hooked after you've taken one for a spin.

Plus based on your previous post, my car pretty much fits the description of what your after ('99 Type S). Not sure how many other Series 2 legnums are owned by Melbourne members, but i have one of them.

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
Well, i'll be heading up to Sydney for work in June. I decided to pocket the flight cash and drive up. Most people looked at me funny about that decision but what do they know, lol.

I might be able to fit in a stop in Bendigo on Friday 20th June at around 8-9am if your free? I don't mind stopping by as i'm sure you'll be hooked after you've taken one for a spin.

Plus based on your previous post, my car pretty much fits the description of what your after ('99 Type S). Not sure how many other Series 2 legnums are owned by Melbourne members, but i have one of them.

PM sent

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Awesome work there Paul! I tried to do that one time, pocketing flight cash and driving to Adelaide but that was vetoed pretty quickly. Damn shame, since I could have made a great run on the Great Ocean Road.

Can't you feel the love in here? ;)

Top Bottom