V8 calais owner curious about Legnum VR4s

G

Unregistered
Yeah, only problem was they are only re-imbursing my petrol and parking costs (which i intend to bump up to $600 with some spirited driving).
Imagine if they were providing kilometer re-imbursement @ 70c per kilometer, i'd have made a killing on this trip, lol

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Plus based on your previous post, my car pretty much fits the description of what your after ('99 Type S). Not sure how many other Series 2 legnums are owned by Melbourne members, but i have one of them.

I got two!! :ROFLMAO:

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
quick question.

did many (if any) 99'/00' Legnum VR4 Type-S come in manual?
havent seen one yet. all auto.

only manuals ive seen are pre 99' Legnums

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
They are rare compared to the autos, especially if you don't want white but they are out there will pay more for one tho

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
They are rare compared to the autos, especially if you don't want white but they are out there will pay more for one tho

hey i like the white! and the black. i wouldnt mind paying a little more for one if it was manual. i could live with that. ive owned 3 commodores. all auto. i need a manual!!!! ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The auto's aren't bad, remember they are 5 speed tiptronic's, all of your auto's would have been 4 speed and you wouldn't have been able to choose the gear.

Manuals are still better though.

G

Unregistered
The auto's aren't bad, remember they are 5 speed tiptronic's, all of your auto's would have been 4 speed and you wouldn't have been able to choose the gear.

+1

Sometimes when driving on a good stretch of road I always think it was better to spend that extra and get the right car. If you love 'driving' then in my opinion a manual will bring a greater smile.

Though if you just want a really competent street, cruise or family car then the tip-tronic would be great either way.

After all Legnums are a performance bargain, and I'm glad they still lie under the radar even from car enthusiasts who don't know what they are.

Go for it, you won't look back.. and with that 4wd you'll be praying it rains which would be something foreign I'd imagine ;)

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto

Just thought I might add a little to that; these tiptronic gearboxes are 'real' tiptronic boxes, meaning you can rev to the limiter and will not change giving more control over up and down gear changes. In tiptronic mode will also override any fuzzy logic programming in the auto's ecu memory. Porsche also adapted this technology in their auto models.

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
Just thought I might add a little to that; these tiptronic gearboxes are 'real' tiptronic boxes, meaning you can rev to the limiter and will not change giving more control over up and down gear changes. In tiptronic mode will also override any fuzzy logic programming in the auto's ecu memory. Porsche also adapted this technology in their auto models.

really? so you can rev it right out with a triptronic? to the limiter but?
every other triptronic ive ever had changes up on you just as its getting good.

so technically, using the triptronic in manual mode on the quarter... should be pretty close to a manual anyways (minus the satisfaction you get rowing through the gears?)

G

Unregistered
really? so you can rev it right out with a triptronic? to the limiter but?
every other triptronic ive ever had changes up on you just as its getting good.

so technically, using the triptronic in manual mode on the quarter... should be pretty close to a manual anyways (minus the satisfaction you get rowing through the gears?)

i noticed on mi parents outlander that the triptronic wont change gear unless you tell it to.
but when you change gears it fukn takes ages for the next gear to engage and you've lost all ur hard work.

..... nothing will be as close as a real manual.

G

Unregistered
Nah, in the legnums the auto boxes seem to be quicker, and by all accounts the tiptronic transmission better suits the engine and power curve.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Yep, agree with that.

They don't build Super VR-4s with manual gear boxes, and the only converted example I saw on NZ's "TradeMe" had to have ASC and TCL disabled apparently.

The tiptronic box approaches very close to the manual (except for the third pedal) and you can bounce it right off the limiter. It suits our house very well, with the lass using the auto and myself slipping through the gears.

The box has to what is me the "wrong" orientation for gearshift (push to upshift) so I rewired it (quite straightforward) in the opposite direction.

G

Unregistered
Yep, agree with that.

They don't build Super VR-4s with manual gear boxes, and the only converted example I saw on NZ's "TradeMe" had to have ASC and TCL disabled apparently.

The tiptronic box approaches very close to the manual (except for the third pedal) and you can bounce it right off the limiter. It suits our house very well, with the lass using the auto and myself slipping through the gears.

The box has to what is me the "wrong" orientation for gearshift (push to upshift) so I rewired it (quite straightforward) in the opposite direction.

so its push down to down shift and push up for up shit?

or have you wried it differently

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Those quarter mile times are from cars with varying levels of mods so you can't really conclude that autos are faster.

I think a stock auto is easier to get off the line quickly than a stock manual due to the clutch. We'll see what kind of 60ft time I can get with my new clutch :)

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
i think you can get a way better start, its just the driver..!

dont break traction.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The auto's are very easy to repeatably launch off the line, thats their main advantage if you're trying to drag, don't expect them to last forever though!

As for the tiptronic side of things, the gearbox does change fairly quickly and is a nice box to use, and yes it will bounce off the limiter and never change up unless you tell it to.

Top Bottom