V8 calais owner curious about Legnum VR4s

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Those quarter mile times are from cars with varying levels of mods so you can't really conclude that autos are faster.

I think a stock auto is easier to get off the line quickly than a stock manual due to the clutch. We'll see what kind of 60ft time I can get with my new clutch :)

cheers

Lee

I agree. IMO it's all about the launch and with a HD clutch you could possibly get an extra 1/2 sec off the 1/4 mile time provided it was a smooth 4000+rpm launch. The power band in these cars is between 3500 and 5500 rpm. Auto's can only launch from about 2500rpm.

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
i haven't started a manual vs auto war have i?

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
This battle has gone on from time immemorial :)

Back on topic... Loba is helping you out with viewing a Legnum?

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I;m going to give my car a few decent goes on the quater after the full service with mods and i hope, HOPE i can beat your auto times!!!

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
i noticed on mi parents outlander that the triptronic wont change gear unless you tell it to.
but when you change gears it fukn takes ages for the next gear to engage and you've lost all ur hard work.

..... nothing will be as close as a real manual.

Anthony,

what outlander do your parents have? ZG? (the new shape?) I had one with tiptronic in the CVT box, and the tiptronic was very fast in that, i had no issues, it had the paddles behind the steering wheel also. I haved driven an auto legnum and the outlander was on par with the shift speed.

Cheers,
Brent

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
I;m going to give my car a few decent goes on the quater after the full service with mods and i hope, HOPE i can beat your auto times!!!

Good luck Bryan!! Show these autos how its done....I dont have enuff mods etc to challenge anyone here, so i will keep my mouth shut:ROFLMAO:

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i get my new clutch, brakes and timing belt next week should be fun actually being able to launch, the current clutch slips all the way if you launch at 1k revs.......

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
i get my new clutch, brakes and timing belt next week should be fun actually being able to launch, the current clutch slips all the way if you launch at 1k revs.......

1k?? Yea thats a sign for a new clutch:ROFLMAO:

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
Well just went for a cruise in my first Legnum today!!!!

98' white VR4. very nice! i was suprised how smooth it was! from the ride to the boost the turbo provides. felt as powerful as my V8 calais even when i was giving it half a boot! id love to take one quater and ring its neck to see what potential they really have. enjoyed it VERY much and even converted the mrs a little!

and no lag!

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
Good stuff Ryan - where did you find it?

Was it an auto or manual?

cheers

Lee

local fella, only had it a week. found him on the local car forum.
it was an auto. i was really happy with it.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
And it's scary to think when you compare 1998 cars... such as the Commodore VT range to what came out with the 8th Gen. Legnums!

G

Unregistered
Cool, so you've been for a cruise in one already.

If your keen, i think i might still be crusing up around bendigo this coming saturday if you want another look.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
well hello, i was referred here from Mitsubishi club Australia for more info.

i have always been a holden man, VK calais, VN V6 auto, and now i have a VS calais V8. but as of late ive noticed the local police have a vendetta against modded holdens and fords and now that im 25, i think maybe its time for a change to something different from boganmobiles.

my fiance recently got a new 08' lancer ES, for $24K its amazing. ive been so impressed with it that ive actually considered a new VR-X myself. but at around $30K i wonder what else is lying around i can have a look at. we'll be having a family in the next few years so an evo is out. but ive heard good things about the legnum VR4.

hes what i know, its a twinturbov6 with 206kw and 4wd. thats about all i know! what else can you guys tell me about them?

how do they go?
are they equipped well?
is there much room for modding? ie. go fast bits?
is the type-s the top of the line? or the VR4? confused?
ive read the auto legnums can be a bit noisy road noise wise?

i read the nissan steaga seems to be the legnums direct competition,
what about the steaga? any good?

Welcome Ryan,
Sounds like another convert!
Maybe you could tell us the answer to your above questions...I'd be interested to hear what you think?

Cheers
Simon

Top Bottom