Vibrations

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Hi Guys, I need some help. I am still getting vibrations. Now I believe that through the process of elimination I have narrowed it down to the tail shaft but I am still open to suggestions. What I am feeling is vibration's through the floor particularly through the foot rest, it is speed related as it does not vary with RPM and seems to be more evident at low speed particularly on deceleration. Problem is that it does come and go and it is rarely there early in the morning. It does seem to happen more as I go up or down a hill at times and around a slow right hand bend. Also after jacking the car up it doesn't come back for a few days which all may be superficial but just my observations. I have replaced the motor and transmission mount with the prothane one's and the rear has a new OEM one in there. I have the old housing still with the prothane insert that I can put in as I still notice a rock when putting the car into drive etc. Could this rocking of the motor be increasing the angle on my drive shaft cause this vibration? If so is it because of the combination of mounts I have in place or are the original rear roll stoppers just that crap? I have also got new rotors and pads on there and there is a lot less vibration now but the car just still doesn't feel right. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
have you had any wheel balance and alignment done recently? just thought i'd clear it..

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I have had a wheel balance done, the alignment is o.k. Also my leggy is a type V so no AYC.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
condition of engine mounts?

edit: nevermind. ill keep thinking

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Alignment is out slightly which I can get done on monday. I took the car for a 100km drive and the car felt fine for most of the trip. Only minor vibrations on decel which could be put down to new slotted rotors still wearing in, but then for tthe last 10kms or so the vibrations were there on acceleration and coasting as well. Wierd.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Could it be coming from the universal joint on the drive shaft? Do we have grease nipples on this?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
It'd probably be more noticeable if it were this (it was in my case)...
Downpipes Vs Cusco Brace version 2? Check the side facing upward for signs of scratches?

Prior to fixing my tailshaft vibrations were felt through the centre console lid etc.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
What did you need to get done to fix it?

fez31

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
ferris
Drive
nissan 300zr
Man a had a serious vibration problem after I changed my shocks and springs, I thought that had to do with it but I was wrong turned out to be the driver side cv, I had the nuckles and outer joint off a evo 4 swapped over to my shaft, and when I say serious I mean SERIOUS SHAKE on acceleration not so bad on decl

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Swapped to the version 1 Cisco brace and had tailshaft dropped out and done.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Yesterday I swapped out the new OEM rollstopper to the prothane one. The mount was loaded up so this is probably due to the stiffness in the prothane motor and trans mount I had installed. My reasoning at the time was the OEM mount would help reduce engine vibrations but there was no benefits that I had found in this arrangement, if anything I found it to be worse. So I took the car for a decent drive and so far it feels good, the deceleration vibrations have diminished and what I can feel is probably attributed to the new slotted rotors wearing in at around 650 kms with out any hard braking until today. I wont say evrything is right just yet as with my past experiences the vibration tends to come back in some sort after I make changes but I feel a bit more confident. Checked c.v's, control arm bushes, Universal joint on the drive shaft and they all looked good. If the vibrations come back I will check the drive shaft bearings next time as I only had the front up this time. I will give an update Later on how things are going. Thanks guys.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Vibrations are still there, I think its the u joint. Even though it looked alright with no visible rust it I think it might be bad from the engine mounts failing. Has anyone done theirs before. Contemplating doing it myself.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Getting the driveshafts out doesn't take long. The problem comes from changing the individual joint if that's what you want to do.

Changing the joint itself you'll need a bearing press or at least a press of some kind. Generally what I do is pull them out and then take them to a CV-Joint Shop and have them inspect repair as necessary. A lot of the time, like with mine they said they were ok to stay in.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Have you checked for a buckeled wheel ? just a thought if youve checked you stearing commponents.:mellow:
Vibrations are still there, I think its the u joint. Even though it looked alright with no visible rust it I think it might be bad from the engine mounts failing. Has anyone done theirs before. Contemplating doing it myself.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
It doesnt feel like a buckled wheel.I have access to presses so thats not an issue, more worried about the seviceability of the u joint itself for instance is it secured by clips or does it need to be ground out. What I havent considered yet are the ce.tre support bearings. I really need to get under there and have another look but I justhave absolutly no time at the mmoment. Sorry for spelling and gramma my phone is crap.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
locked or semi locked up uni joints on tail shaft and sagging centre bearings will cause a bad vibration on acceleration, dependant on engine pitch.
Almost all of the clutches/diffs I've done on Legnums have had varying degrees of notchy uni joints.

Drop out the tail shaft and get some new joints pressed in and a new centre bearing.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Thanks Jonson, it definately feels like it is coming from the drive shaft. Would this also cause vibrations on deceleration aswell?

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
If they are notchy enough, yes it will. It depends on how much roll your engine has on accel and decel. Going by the thread, you've replaced the mounts, so you would think there will be minimal roll but you should still thouroughly check them to discard them as a possibility

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Ok thankyou for all the input guys. Ill do all this and I will give an update on what I find, might not be for a couple of weeks as I am very busy at the moment. I might even just take it to someone to do as I have a heap of overtime coming up. It does take away the experience of doing it myself. Ill see how things go.

pitmac

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Peter McCallum
Drive
EC5A
The problem with the uni joints is they are staked in place . There are no circlipse holding them in place.
As far as mitsubishi is concerned you have to replace the entire drive shaft front to rear.( three pieces)

Top Bottom